Correct coupling for 00 smokey joe

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
fluxfluid

Correct coupling for 00 smokey joe

Postby fluxfluid » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:44 am

Hi all , thanks for letting me join this forum .
I need some advise on the correct coupling for the hornby 00 smokey joe 56025.
There seems to be two different service sheets , 200 and 200E for the train.
The couplings on each of the service sheets have different part numbers x8001 and x8389 although they look the same .
Does anyone know which one I need or how I go about determining which one I need ?
Thank you

Bufferstop

Re: Correct coupling for 00 smokey joe

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:03 pm

Are you looking for the coupling hook or a complete coupling. Smokey Joe uses the common plastic chassis component which incorporates the "enormous" D shaped bumper. as an integral part of the moulding. If some one (just like me) has removed the D as well as the hook you either have to replace the chassis moulding or improvise a pad to which a coupling can be screwed or glued. Hornby parts lists can show different numbers for the same part. I think it is or was due to a restriction in their IT system that meant they had to use a different number if thay had a different supplier. It may even be to differentiate UK made from China made.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:55 pm

[*]If it is the hook itself, if there are two part numbers that both fit the same chassis, either can be used as the fitting the hook goes into takes either type on this design. (Hornby used more then one hook type but the only ones that don't fit are the ex. Lima type which clip in from below, and the hooks designed for the small tension lock couplings as they will be too short to use on the large D couplings.
The basic "Smokey Joe" type design dates from the early 1980's and is a nice reliable design which is why it is still in production. It has had minor alterations over the years, and the latest gives them a slower top speed, a vastly improved craw ability and improved pickups, but otherwize remains the same, so if they say that you could use one hook or the other, both hooks will fit the design. (There are two slightly different shape hooks that will fit).

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:58 am

Here you go, cheapest I've seen... (I've no connection with seller)

HORNBY X8389 METAL COUPLING HOOK 2 PACK FOR TRAIN LOCO COACHES WAGON ECT SPARES

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324253692572 ... SweRBfLX6r
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:47 am

You can get a pack of 10 direct from Hornby for £5.02 with free postage (I think) in the UK

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”