Hornby featured on tv

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.

Hornby featured on tv

Postby 4472 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:25 pm

The 10-part series will air on Monday nights at 9pm on Yesterday, from October 11 and all episodes will be available for catch-up on UKTV Play.
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired deceased)
Nephew of Cecil Roberts Spicer (GWR retired deceasd)

mdn7

Re: Hornby featured on tv

Postby mdn7 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:10 am

!! Got it on series record !!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:48 am

It will be interesting to see inside the Margate works and offices. The outside suggests it was originally a "air raid protected" WW2 facility, if not it was built in the same manner. If it's been recently refurbished it could well be a better working environment than a factory estate "glass box".
I came across a number of companies housed in them around the Birmingham area, The staff were often intrigued that I already knew the layout of their premises on my first visit.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:05 pm

Everyone ready with their notebook? Then we can jointly compare to see if any useful information on 'the future' may be distilled from the general vapouring, which is likely to be the main content...

centenary

Postby centenary » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:18 pm

Isnt this a re run of the original?

TEAMYAKIMA

Postby TEAMYAKIMA » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:33 pm

centenary wrote:Isnt this a re run of the original?

No, it's completely new

centenary

Postby centenary » Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:37 pm

TEAMYAKIMA wrote:
centenary wrote:Isnt this a re run of the original?

No, it's completely new

Ah, cool.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:27 am

Watched the programme last night and I found it very interesting, the presenter managed to keep clear of the usual condescending cliches and it was very interesting to see the development of a new project. Would have been nice however to see some of the manufacturing and assembly operations being developed. Next week it is the developemnt of a model plane so maybe not as interesting for us railway enthusiasts.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:02 pm

Focused primarily on one product and the SDJR line but an interesting watch none the less.
Those sugar cube speakers do sound better than the flat speakers. I haven't heard them side by side before.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:02 pm

Where was their die-casting being done? Their first model from production tooling seemed to arrive mighty quick compared to some of the recent delays in new releases. They chose a good prototype for die-casting simple shape, no wrap under for light under the boiler, very simple visible valve gear. Pity it's a limited addition.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:42 pm

Bufferstop wrote:... Pity it's a limited edition.

What I heard loud and clear is "Hornby have observed that collectors have proven willing to pay much more for desireable models, both at release and on the s/h market, and Hornby are going after that money".

So there will be steady issues of a series of 'priced to collect' premium models, probably steam only given the invasion of the D+E space by an army of competition, all of them aiming at the 'better than anything seen previously' slot. I expect that the sweet spot in volume produced will be explored, and the packaging harking back to Hornby-Dublo will be exploited for all it is worth, along with anything else that the S&M duo can devise.

I expect we will soon see a BR Standard 2-6-4T from Hornby. It was a very much liked H-D item, the Bachmann model while good looking is an awkward cuss mechanically, and probably makes it difficult to install a good sound project; to which end our man has waved his recorder at one...

centenary

Postby centenary » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:25 pm

I thought they released a few models of Merchant Navy locos with a limited edition of 500 die cast? The others plastic bodied. Not sure of the pricing of the die cast version, I seem to remember about £320 each so giving a total of about £160,000 less 1 that Mr Kohler kept for himself. Or maybe the cost was even higher?

Wouldnt surprise me if many of the limited edition Merchant Navys never see rails or, end up on fleabay by the scalpers at an even more inflated price.

If limited edition runs keeps Hornby out of the red and into the black, they cant be faulted for that strategy.

Michaelreedy71

Postby Michaelreedy71 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:46 pm

Hornby programme was ok but be better if it showed more bout making them on the factory line but it was interesting still

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:42 pm

Michaelreedy71 wrote:Hornby programme was ok but be better if it showed more about making them on the factory line but it was interesting still

Never forget, Hornby don't have factories of their own (in common with the large majority of brands supplying UK model railway locos and stock) instead contracting for manufacturing slots in Chinese factories. In normal times, just getting access for filming would be a cost, then there's employing a team to do it, more money: and these are not normal times thanks to the infection we do not name or discuss.

Alternatives: Roco have shown several video summaries over the years, here's one I just happen to have a link handy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOL2aHJbBAM

Haven't the time to fossick around on their site, but Rapido had video of some OO product in manufacture some years ago, might be a link on their UK site.

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:00 pm

It is a series of ten so no doubt other aspects will be shown in due course.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”