BBC NEWS WEBSITE

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
RailwayRobbo

BBC NEWS WEBSITE

Post by RailwayRobbo »

Model railways seen to be getting some coverage on the BBC News website today (Saturday).
There's some short film items showing a guy's GCR layout, the guy who exhibits the steampunk layouts, Alloa and a few more.
Go to bbc.co.uk scroll down till you get to '3 things we love today'.

Pete

Re: BBC NEWS WEBSITE

Post by 4472 »

Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired deceased)
Nephew of Cecil Roberts Spicer (GWR retired deceasd)
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

I've found this by typing in "Alloa"

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-scotland-47259649
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The national trainset also getting significant coverage. Not such good news.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57036247
CasperGriswoldBacon

Post by CasperGriswoldBacon »

That's the trouble with these new expensive modern trains. Give it 6 months and half the motors will burn out, all the detailing will fall off and the axles will be wobbly. 8)
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

:o I think you forgot no spares currently available. :wink:
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

It's not as if aluminium alloy bodies and yaw dampers are cutting edge technology, seems like a case of shaving off a bit too much in the quest to keep the cost down. The best bargains going at the moment must be the various Class 230 variants from Viva Rail. Nobody could afford bodies built to the original LT specification these days.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Bufferstop wrote:It's not as if aluminium alloy bodies and yaw dampers are cutting edge technology, seems like a case of shaving off a bit too much in the quest to keep the cost down. The best bargains going at the moment must be the various Class 230 variants from Viva Rail. Nobody could afford bodies built to the original LT specification these days.
Keep cutting back until it doesn't work then add a tiny bit and keep yer fingers crossed.
Pete.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Peterm wrote:Keep cutting back until it doesn't work then add a tiny bit and keep yer fingers crossed.
That was De Havilland's technique in wooden airframe construction, make it too weak (for lightness) and then test it for the design load and upgrade where it fails as required. Back in the day of inadequate engine power this worked very well for combat aircraft, most notably the Mosquito. (Railway connection, this aircraft design was worked up at Salisbury Hall, which had previously been the home of Gresley.)
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Whilst standing out of the way of arriving passengers whilst on the gardening squad at our station I got the opportunity to study the yaw dampers on our local DMUs Apart from looking considerably bigger than the ones causing so much trouble it was notable that the fixings were not direct to the body, but onto a three foot long steel beam bolted along it's length into the underside of the body. A case of being a bit too clever welding cast alloy brackets to alloy bodywork?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

There will have been good reasons for the constructional choices on the 800's, and limits on all up weight will have figured large in the design requirement. The solution may be simple (= quick and cheap to make good) and achievable in conformance with the original design requirement.

But there's a fair chance of 'interesting times' ahead for the engineering team charged with delivering a solution; and a significant renegotiation of the design requirement on the commercial side, with all that implies. 'Watch this space'.