Wearable magnifying glasses suggestions?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
centenary

Wearable magnifying glasses suggestions?

Post by centenary »

Im looking for suggestions for comfortable and wearable magnifying glasses that give a better than 2.0 magnification and, hopefully dont cost a fortune! Any suggestions?!

I have an angle poise bench magnifier which is good but, weighs a ton and you either have to stay put when doing a job or lug it to another location as you work around a subject, hence why Im looking at something you can wear.

Re: Wearable magnifying glasses suggestions?

Post by 4472 »

I have a set of glasses obtained at the ally pally show which have interchangeable lenses from 1.0 to 3.5 magnification with led lights. Unfortunately the only name on them is NO.9892B2. They are good and light
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired deceased)
Nephew of Cecil Roberts Spicer (GWR retired deceasd)
muggins

Post by muggins »

I use a cheap rip-off of the Optivisor, which was under £20 off Ebay. Works a treat, comortable to wear, comes with lenses from 1.5x to 3.5x, and unlike the genuine artciles, those lenses are glass! FWIW the technicians at our local dental lab use exactly the same item.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

muggins wrote:I use a cheap rip-off of the Optivisor, which was under £20 off Ebay. Works a treat, comortable to wear, comes with lenses from 1.5x to 3.5x, and unlike the genuine artciles, those lenses are glass! FWIW the technicians at our local dental lab use exactly the same item.
I use similar. They were cheap and have a choice of two lenses. I can wear them with my reading glasses. I don't think I'd want to splash out for a genuine Optivisor.
Pete.
Lancastrian

Post by Lancastrian »

I have these and I am very happy with them, but the price has gone up since I bought them, but you may want a cheaper set.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lightcraft-Mag ... 65&sr=8-85
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

Post by 4472 »

if you google the NO.9892b2 you will get a few results and at least see what they look like
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired deceased)
Nephew of Cecil Roberts Spicer (GWR retired deceasd)
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

I'd avoid the type which clip to the front of your existing glasses, if you wear them, all that happens with mine is that the extra weight makes them slide off my nose. Now I have a spare pair of reading glasses with 1.5x mag instead.

The watchmaker on 'The Repair Shop' (BBC/Quest) has an extra pair of glasses which sit over his normal specs, which always struck me as a neat solution.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
Paul-H

Post by Paul-H »

muggins wrote:I use a cheap rip-off of the Optivisor, which was under £20 off Ebay. Works a treat, comortable to wear, comes with lenses from 1.5x to 3.5x, and unlike the genuine artciles, those lenses are glass! FWIW the technicians at our local dental lab use exactly the same item.
I have an Optivisor with 3 lenses and they are all Glass,