Two different motors in one loco!

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Ironduke

Re: Two different motors in one loco!

Postby Ironduke » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:48 pm

RobLeighton wrote:Here's a photo - if it's a Frankenstein job it's a very good one, the bogie plastics seem to match!

It's a miracle that they run at the same speed.
Regards
Rob

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:47 pm

It's odd what can happen if you run two motors off one controller, as long as they don't have vastly different performance they will often synchronise, I think it's probably got a lot to do with combining their back emfs, and having a common circuit through the wheels and internal wiring. It certainly seems different to running two locos coupled together which produces a lot of pushing, pulling and banging of couplers.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:02 am

RobLeighton wrote:... if it's a Frankenstein job it's a very good one, the bogie plastics seem to match!

Interesting, never seen that pattern of motor bogie with a vertical can motor before.

It's a matter of luck with two motor bogies taken at random: when twin motoring I tried for a reasonably matched pair (ran similarly independently, much the same current draw and speed curve) as that typically gave quieter and sweeter running. The surviving examples, an Airfix GMR Brush 2 which ill still pull the side out of a house, and the T-H Brush 4 was going well until the brushes wore out on one motor. Once normal life resumes I'll collect it for service from the friend that uses it.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”