Display storage for OO gauge rolling stock

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Monday

Display storage for OO gauge rolling stock

Postby Monday » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:17 pm

It’s dawned on me that my new fiddle yard (for which I have built a perspex cover to keep the dust off) isn’t big enough to hold all my stock. Therefore I am looking for a wall storage cabinet to display the surplus and so that I don’t forget what I have got!
So looking for recommendations, having despaired of on-line reviews which range from “fantastic” to “threw it in the bin” for the same item. ‘Er indoors has approved expenditure up to £100 so I am not looking for one of those custom-built Viscount Linley type jobs. Suggestions welcome.

Bigmet

Re: Display storage for OO gauge rolling stock

Postby Bigmet » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:33 pm

Let me distract you: no space for more tracks in the fiddle yard?

Monday

Postby Monday » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:52 pm

Not if I’m still going to squeeze in the middle, no!

ChrisGreaves

Postby ChrisGreaves » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:24 pm

Monday wrote:So looking for recommendations, ...
Hi Monday.
I am still dreaming about learning to toddle, so no recommendations, but once I decided to get started with eight plastic loco kits, I commissioned my carpenter (who is a great cabinet maker) to assemble a dozen wall-mounted display cases.
Bonavista_20210419_194329.JPG
The photo doesn't do justice etc etc but these are two wall platforms, about ten inches long, which I caught said carpenter sneaking off to the dump.

I gave him a stern talking-to and grabbed them for my bedroom (he was working on every other room in the house).

My display cases will be eighteen inches long, and consist of two 18"x4" pieces of Nice Wood screwed at right-angles, with a perspex-like cover that consists of a top, face side, and two ends.
I want the cover to lift off, perhaps sitting in a dust-retarding channel, so that people can go vroom-vroom and watch the wheels go around (assuming I don't shake when I use plastic cement to assemble the wheels), perhaps a printed background, or a slice of loco shed.

It will not have escaped your attention that I will need to buy four more plastic loco kits or, perhaps, four beautiful powered locos that will wait in the wings until I get a layout up and running (grin)
Cheers
Chris

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:28 pm

Type "Model Train Display Case" into Google, There's plenty there under £100. Go for one with hinged, or sliding doors unless you intend to use it for stock that you won't be running very often. The ones with the dust proof clamped on glass front are a faff to open just to get one item out.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Monday

Postby Monday » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:45 am

Thanks both.

Chrisgreaves - nice idea but I need to store wagons/coaches as well as locos. I think I would end up with too many boxes.

Bufferstop - indeed there are many options on the ‘net. My problem is selecting the wheat from the chaff as the on-line reviews don’t help. I’m looking at sliding glass doors as there seems to be a tendency for hinged doors to sag. I was hoping a forum member would declaim “My life has changed since I discovered display storage by F Bloggs (2021) Ltd” but perhaps it’s not that easy. Here’s hoping.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:35 pm

I have one of the clamped on glass front type from Picture Pride Displays, it looks great and is long enough to hold a loco and 3 or 4 coaches, but as it is quite a job to get something out it has the ones that aren't likely to run again. I also have two sliding door jobs one from Argos the other I can't remember, but both do a great job in storing the "surplus still in use" items.

Monday

Postby Monday » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:04 pm

Thanks Bufferstop. I’d seen Picture Pride come up on searches (and some second hand examples on eBay). But are they still in business? Clicking their web address brings up a message that it might be dodgy. In the meantime I’m also looking at Argos/Wayfair/Others.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:50 pm

Yes I wondered about them, not a big company. The one I have is pretty long, it was no trouble to go and pick it up from their premises, not a big place. They could easily have wound it up.
The one I couldn't remember was from Wayfair, there was an add on ch5 a couple of minutes ago.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:14 pm

I advise keeping a close watch on Lidl because they used to get display cases occasionally. The two I have are OK but the laminate does tend to fade.
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Monday

Postby Monday » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:39 am

Thanks all. I have gone for one of these. I can lay a length of flexitrack along each shelf so stock can sit on the rails. I might end up needing more than one though......
Attachments
3ADF977E-415E-40C0-B10B-F65D5B572C66.png

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:13 pm

Looks similar to mine. I adjusted the shelf spacing in one of mine and got an extra shelf in, to make it match the other. The essential item is a depth stop for your drill :o

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”