Are Hattons buying 'pre owned' off EBay to re sell?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
centenary

Are Hattons buying 'pre owned' off EBay to re sell?

Postby centenary » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:23 pm

Unless you're quick placing pre orders, you can find scalpers are often buying up and selling at inflated prices on EBay.

Ive noticed Hattons seem to a lot of pre owned stock for sale and managed to bag one or two pre owned bargains.

Logged on today and see overnight, they've gone from 47 pre owned Bachmann oo gauge diesels to 78. Not only that, prices seem to have rocketed. £260 for a pre owned DCC sound fitted West Coast class 37 in maroon.

I know Hattons had a falling out with Bachmann so yeah, buying their supply from EBay would seem logical. But as the scalpers are asking inflated prices for locos, if Hattons are buying these for re sale, that's going to result in even higher prices? Yes, they also buy from people liquidating their collection but are people getting rid of that much stuff right now?

Prices for Hornby pre owned diesels are a little less. A pre owned sound fitted Class 60 with glue marks around the nameplates with replacement box, £230

Paul-H

Re: Are Hattons buying 'pre owned' off EBay to re sell?

Postby Paul-H » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:54 pm

Don't suppose given how high eBay prices are that they would be buying their stock on there, I suspect there has been a steep rise in the last year (For obvious reasons) for people struggling to pay their bills or through the number of elderly modellers dying and their families clearing out their collections for a quick sale.

As to Hattons price, I only watch their N-Gauge prices but often fall of my seat when I see their over inflated prices, especially when selling a broken Loco, the last one was a Graham Farish Tornado with jammed valve gear for well over £100. Plus annoyingly they seem to almost always describe old None DCC ready locos as DCC compatible but no socket, even the old split frame models. which I class as deceptive trading.

I tend to not buy from Hattons as a result.

Paul

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:12 pm

I supposed they could be. Depends on their business model. If they buy expensive then you have to sell expensive which means lots of stock hanging around for weeks until "that" buyer turns up. If you can afford to wait 3 months to shift it then great, but it's a lot of money to have tied up in stock. You can definitely pick up bargains on ebay but mainly in joblots from my experience and with that there's usually a risk it doesn't work or has damage. For that, facebook marketplace is miles better and much easier to make a profit and I haven't seen them on there!. I think it's much more likely it's people selling them stuff in the normal way with people who can't be bothered to do it themselves especially if a relative has died. As you say, if they've got 30 extra Bachmann loco's overnight that sort of hints they've received a collection rather than individually bidding on ebay lots. As for the price rise, from my experience, prices have gone through the roof this year anyway with the lockdown factor. They obviously think the market can take it.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:54 pm

From the descriptions of loco studs I see on here it wouldn't take many buy-ins to explain that gain in stock level, and as has been said there are probably more people downsizing or clearing out relatives collections, at this time, so it doesn't strike me as so exceptional.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

muggins

Postby muggins » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:28 pm

I used to buy a lot of stuff from Hattons, without realising that the reason why I was automatically buying from Hattons was actually because 30-35 years ago they were always cheapest and I'd just been assuming that they still were! What a silly person was I! So I finally got my act together and compared prices with other online retailers, since which time I don't think I've spent more than £30 with Hattons in the last two years :)

centenary

Postby centenary » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:30 pm

In the grand scheme of things, pre owned items will sell or not depending on the price a buyer will pay. And I'll say it again, Ive picked up a couple of bargains from Hattons.

Only thing that strikes me is if the choice is buying a brand new dcc sound loco off EBay for £260 or a pre owned similar dcc sound loco from Hattons that has glue marks on the body (or other mentioned defects) for the same price, I know which I'll buy.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:21 pm

I made a low offer on a Bachmann 9F on ebay with the seller pointing to Hattons price for the equivalent; a couple of week later with the item still unsold at the Hattonish price he was asking for it he came back to me with an offer that was exactly that which I had offered. Hattons are certainly not cheap for many items and that has been the case for years yet many believe they are. The classic was when the retooled Farish minerals were released with a RRP back then of just (in todays terms) £4.75; most sellers were asking around £4.25 for them, Hattons had them at £5 :!:

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:55 pm

I have had a happy six or seven years since Hattons got going seriously in second hand (which I recall as late 2013) picking up very good, well described and illustrated items at prices ranging from reasonable to bargain. I could often 'spot the trouble' in the photographs relating to physical damage that was described, or recognise the likely cure from an operating problem description, and that made decisions very easy. The substantially lower price for damaged box exterior or replacement box was also welcome, because who wants a box to run on the layout?

But all good things come to an end: and Hattons s/h has become noticeably more expensive over the past 12 months. A few real value items were purchased in 2020, but mostly now I look and think, 'no, I'll pay the 5% extra for new'... (In my book top s/h price is 60% of current new price, and that's absolute tops.)

muggins

Postby muggins » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:06 am

Bigmet wrote: ... In my book top s/h price is 60% of current new price, and that's absolute tops.

Exactly the same here, even when it's called "pre-owned"! :roll:

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:45 am

I don't usually go on Hattons as their search engine system gives me a migraine, but this thread peaked my curiosity. I guess it's a bit better if you're buying items that are only a few years old, but with the stuff i'm interested in, it seems to be mainly tat with broken or missing parts and a price tag that would have Gostude muttering rip-off under his breath.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:13 am

CasperGriswoldBacon wrote:a price tag that would have Gostude muttering rip-off under his breath.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I think we all know that rip off merchant!
Thanks for the morning chuckle. :mrgreen:
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

centenary

Postby centenary » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:42 pm

Bigmet wrote:I have had a happy six or seven years since Hattons got going seriously in second hand (which I recall as late 2013) picking up very good, well described and illustrated items at prices ranging from reasonable to bargain. I could often 'spot the trouble' in the photographs relating to physical damage that was described, or recognise the likely cure from an operating problem description, and that made decisions very easy. The substantially lower price for damaged box exterior or replacement box was also welcome, because who wants a box to run on the layout?

But all good things come to an end: and Hattons s/h has become noticeably more expensive over the past 12 months. A few real value items were purchased in 2020, but mostly now I look and think, 'no, I'll pay the 5% extra for new'... (In my book top s/h price is 60% of current new price, and that's absolute tops.)

Id say this is spot on although Ive only been looking at the pre owned stuff since the end of last year. As you say, you do have to read the description and view pictures to suss out the crap.

But Ive also noticed recently in some instances, they are just posting a picture of the boxed loco rather than several shots of the loco from different angles. Before buying the 66, I specifically asked them how it ran because there was no mention whereas other descriptions said noisey runner etc.

They replied saying if the advert makes no mention of poor running etc, then, they say it has been tested and runs perfectly ok.

Im fine buying pre owned for various reasons, supposedly saving a bit plus the type and colour scheme of the loco may not be available new any more. But there are limits. Paying 'new' price for a pre owned loco, one that has major defects even if pointed out or a repainted \ refinished model are a few of them.

That said, someone has been busy since my last post because they have gone from 78 pre owned Baccies diesels to 63!

I mean is this a 'rare' loco? " Class 37 97304 "John Tiley" in Network Rail Yellow - Model Rail Ltd Edition - Pre-owned - DCC Fitted & renumbered, weathered, missing running numbers, body loose from chassis.DCC decoder fitted. £250"?

muggins

Postby muggins » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:08 pm

End2end wrote:
CasperGriswoldBacon wrote:a price tag that would have Gostude muttering rip-off under his breath.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I think we all know that rip off merchant!
Thanks for the morning chuckle. :mrgreen:
End2end

Hate to say it, but I've actually bought three Bachmann wagons from him at very fair prices over the last couple of years.

TomTom

Postby TomTom » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:58 pm

Same here - had some second hand coaches and wagons at reasonable prices. Don't bother with the loco or loco kit side of things though....

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:48 pm

TomTom wrote:...Don't bother with the loco or loco kit side of things though....

The bulk of 'the obsession' is with locos, and that's where the opportunists can make money...

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”