Are Hattons buying 'pre owned' off EBay to re sell?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
centenary

Re: Are Hattons buying 'pre owned' off EBay to re sell?

Postby centenary » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:35 pm

Someone in the last 2 days has just paid £260 for a pre owned Bachmann Class 37, West Coast Railways maroon, Bachmann sound fitted loco when you can find a brand new one on line for a few pence under £195 plus £4 postage! And no, that's not via EBay either.

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:08 am

Anyone who has ever tried to sell a Loco to Hattons will know how low their buying prices are, and to then see that same Loco offered for sale at almost new price or in some cases like the 37 above selling at above new prices must really feel ripped off.

Still that is good business practice, buy as cheap as possible and sell as high as possible so you can't really blame them.

When buying second hand/pre owned/previously enjoyed (Insert your favourite dealers description) the last place I look is with a dealer.

I find the odd one on eBay because I look at the BIN only sales as well as auctions, I find auctions nearly always go higher than they should, except when there is an error in the listing. BIN only sales often get missed by the buyers clicking auction only.

You have to be quick though as the real bargains don't last long as I am not the only one searching them out.

Paul

muggins

Postby muggins » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:10 am

When talking to a Hattons Person on the phone once about the prices they were paying, I mentioned what seemed to me to be their going rate for buying-in secondhand rolling stock. Judging by the reaction I got, I wasn't far off :)

Let's just say that if I was to flog them some ordinary run-of-the-mill 00 wagons and carriages in as-new condition, I'd expect their very best offer to be half the VAT-exclusive price of whatever they're currently selling an identical item for. Seems fair enough to me from a business POV, especially when they're paying incoming carriage ...

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:47 pm

CasperGriswoldBacon wrote:I don't usually go on Hattons as their search engine system gives me a migraine, but this thread peaked my curiosity. I guess it's a bit better if you're buying items that are only a few years old, but with the stuff i'm interested in, it seems to be mainly tat with broken or missing parts and a price tag that would have Gostude muttering rip-off under his breath.

Yes I've stopped buying from Hattons purely because their search engine is a pile of pig droppings.
Their falling out with Farish meant I spent much less than before. having spent many thousands with them over the years.
The new search engine doesn't search rationally so I've moved on. Shame as they must be hurting financially.

LukeTrainsPlanes

Postby LukeTrainsPlanes » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:41 pm

Just seen hattons facebook post flash up and advertising pre owned R3609 gwr coach pack for £210 and many shops selling new for £160-170.

Crazy. Ive purchased stuff from different shops as a google search will find many smaller shops seem to be cheaper.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:42 pm

CasperGriswoldBacon wrote:I don't usually go on Hattons as their search engine system gives me a migraine,

It was developed "in house" and it shows. There's nothing illogical about the interface, it's just not where you expect it to be, there's a good reason to put things in the same place as everyone else does, like you expect "log in/out" to be up top right just below the header along with your ID. It's like trying to drive a Model T Ford, it's got pedals but they don't do what you expect.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

CasperGriswoldBacon

Postby CasperGriswoldBacon » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:49 am

Bufferstop wrote:
CasperGriswoldBacon wrote:I don't usually go on Hattons as their search engine system gives me a migraine,

It was developed "in house" and it shows. There's nothing illogical about the interface, it's just not where you expect it to be, there's a good reason to put things in the same place as everyone else does, like you expect "log in/out" to be up top right just below the header along with your ID. It's like trying to drive a Model T Ford, it's got pedals but they don't do what you expect.

I can't put my finger on why I find it so tiresome really. Cluttered or too many very similar overlapping options possibly.

You click on OO and you get Accessories with 23 different manufacturers, and so on. What does accessories even mean in this context as there's about another 20 sections that could be classed as accessories. I tried to find out and it stopped working. Oh its working again. Turns out its loads for wagons, nope sorry smoke units, no switches and so on. I mean how they think anyone is going to find a Hornby Dublo switch in accessories just by a link saying Hornby Dublo :?: There's even a miscellaneous accessories section :lol:

Do you really need 2 building sections, a bridge section and then 2 sections for man-made structures? If you can be bothered to scroll down that far. I usually give up by DMU's . I'm always left with the impression I've missed tons of stuff.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:09 am

The irony to me, is that Hattons don't need a search engine, because their presentation of the stock is so simple that you can go straight to what you are interested in, it's an analogue for a well organised display rack in a shop. Since the usual physical alternative when looking for good s/h is grovelling through a pile of badly organised dross searching for the odd gem, this is sufficient progress for me!

boatsman

Postby boatsman » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:21 pm

-I get the feeling that I'm Rip van Winkle. The prices quoted for model railway locomotives seem to me to be ridiculous. I can remember when you could buy a new Ford car, I forget the model, for 700 pounds Sterling! I saw in one of the posts that someone had little tins of Humbrol enamel paint. I have 39 unopened tins of Humbrol enamel paints that I paid the equivalent of 5p a tin over 40 years ago and they are still usable. Incidentally, is pre-owned the politically correct term for second hand?

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:42 pm

Well second does suggest that it's only been sold and bought once before, pre-owned does allow for the item that's been repeatedly sold on. It's strange but there are certain items that you see offered on Ebay that were recently fought over and went for a ridiculously high figure. Surely the successful bidder doesn't imagine people are going to cough up even more for it this time round.

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:12 am

You know what they say, "A fool an his money are easily parted" there are a lot of fools buying on eBay, or people who want something and will pay almost anything to get it, just because they can 8)

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:18 am

Paul-H wrote:You know what they say, "A fool and his money are easily parted" there are a lot of fools buying on eBay, or people who want something and will pay almost anything to get it, just because they can ...

Of much the same opinion, that's pretty much what quite quickly wrecked Ebay from the perspective of those looking for economy. A significant proportion of those bidding are out to 'win it'; and this is irrespective of whether it is necessary to bid more than the same item can be got new at retail. That's a game I am simply not going to play with current industrial production goods!

(Now if the auction is of something handcrafted 'X'00 years ago, and there's only ever going to be that one to be had, that's a different story...)

Unfortunately, the commercial operators carrying significant 'pre-owned' appear now to be looking at Ebay and similar trading sites reported achieved prices to set their price levels. I have very much enjoyed the half dozen or more years of hoovering up useful items at economy prices, which is now largely over. Happily there are a few unsullied areas left for this mudlark to dip into...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:54 pm

I find Ebay useful in as much as it often can find components that a manufacturer has used, which aren't generally advertised and can be very useful in the design of things that the trade will never supply. I'm currently hunting for the type of microswitch which has a long wire actuator rotating a shaft going through the switch. I expect Farnell and RS would stock them but at what price. The same can motors that Hornby et al use are often a tenth of the price, just without the gear. If you are replacing a burnt out motor you'll have a gear, if it's for your own design you'll likely want a different one.

centenary

Postby centenary » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:01 pm

Bigmet wrote:
Paul-H wrote:You know what they say, "A fool and his money are easily parted" there are a lot of fools buying on eBay, or people who want something and will pay almost anything to get it, just because they can ...

Of much the same opinion, that's pretty much what quite quickly wrecked Ebay from the perspective of those looking for economy. A significant proportion of those bidding are out to 'win it'; and this is irrespective of whether it is necessary to bid more than the same item can be got new at retail. That's a game I am simply not going to play with current industrial production goods!

(Now if the auction is of something handcrafted 'X'00 years ago, and there's only ever going to be that one to be had, that's a different story...)

Unfortunately, the commercial operators carrying significant 'pre-owned' appear now to be looking at Ebay and similar trading sites reported achieved prices to set their price levels. I have very much enjoyed the half dozen or more years of hoovering up useful items at economy prices, which is now largely over. Happily there are a few unsullied areas left for this mudlark to dip into...

This is kind of what I was getting at when I started this thread although might not have made the point well.

There's basically 3 types of sellers on EBay: companies running a retail business, professional resellers who use EBay to make a living and 'ordinary' folk selling unwanted goods.

Hattons supposedly no longer trade directly with Bachmann but clearly Hattons customers still want to buy Bachy locos. There's a limit to people trading in \ selling up so to make sure they have a good supply, buying from EBay is a potential solution.

The problem with EBay is the scalpers who buy up new pre release orders then sell for an inflated price on the platform. The second hand \ pre owned sellers on EBay see the new stuff going for higher money so look for more money for their items. Anyone buying at top dollar and wanting to 're sell' will want to see a higher price for their goods.

Hattons prices for pre owned has rocketed since the turn of the year. What were once reasonably bargain prices are now higher than some BNIB from other retailers. As Ive mentioned before, Hattons pre owned Bachmann sound fitted class 37, £260 or, BNIB Bachman sound fittted class 37, £195. Incidentally, both were WCR maroon, hmmm, tough decision which to buy!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:27 pm

centenary wrote:...The problem with EBay is the scalpers who buy up new pre release orders then sell for an inflated price on the platform...

But consider that this is only possible if there are customers willing and able to pay those inflated prices. These two go together like eggs and bacon...

The economically inevitable corrective mechanism is now clearly underway. Those businesses that are the source of these products will increase prices to what the market is proven to bear. Why allow secondary traders to take a large slice of the available profit? In the case of both Kader (Bachmann) and Hornby - both of which have managed large entries in red ink on their trading accounts in the recent past - it would be fair to accuse their respective managements of having been slow to grasp this opportunity.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”