I Was Thinking.....

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Mountain

I Was Thinking.....

Postby Mountain » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:39 pm

If one had just a few locos and ran them on radio control, then the issues about rusty steel track are not a problem.... It is tempting isn't it!

Though many of us end up with far more locos then we need for our railways... It is just an idea. That way one can buy old rusty track which no one else wants and have fun!

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: I Was Thinking.....

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:12 pm

Emettman (sadly now probably formerly) a member of this parish experimented with that, have a look here.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:18 pm

Yes. I love his creations.

I looked into the Deltang system in the past but they had stopped selling them in ready made form and only sold them as electrical kits. I could probably build one though... It is also that ones battery is to a lower voltage then the motor. I was wondering if changing to a 3 volt motor would be better? But what about locos like the Lima diesels that I used? I need to think about this and ways to find room for them.
Last edited by Mountain on Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:04 am

In the smaller scales and for smaller locos, it would be better to start from a clean sheet, rather than adapt to existing mechanisms. This because if the power supply has to be onboard, we want the combination of the most efficient power storage for the required charge, and the smallest power consumption from motor, drive train and systems.

The 'qualifying test' for a truly successful R/C onboard power (i.e. dead rail) system for use in HO or OO modelling, would be to match - and preferably exceed - the performance of the current smallest practical motorised models. So that's a Stephenson's Rocket or similar able to run for a fair proportion of the time during an operating session of a couple of hours. The tech is there to do it, bu we are a long way from a commercial offering of this capability that's an affordable 'plug and play' option. That may seem a harsh test, but the fact is that the established systems have this capability, and 'going backwards' isn't likely to win sufficient customers to deliver commercial viability.

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:43 pm

There is a system available, I can't remember the name of it now, but I did start a thread in the electrical section on here...

Chops

Postby Chops » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:04 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93xGDUDq-nM

Knew a chap, who ran a Mallet type North American locomotive on RC. My enduring memory of it is that it seemed to stall and sputter as
much as any grimed up locomotive; not impressive, e.g. That, and it derailed with great enthusiasm. Dirty rails and oxide, the bane of model
railroaders around the globe. Lionel Strang, the famous professional model railroader, wrote an article about this stuff:

Wahls 003.jpg

Counterintuitive, cleaning track with oil, but I swear by it. Has anyone else tried Mr. Strang's strange formula?
Nessie rocks!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:23 pm

No. I have not tried that. What is it?

I have put aside the thought of radio control for now because it all seems so complicated. I thought DCC was overdoing it. It is too technical for me to make head or tail of it so I can grasp it.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”