Four tracks layout

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Raboliot

Four tracks layout

Post by Raboliot »

Hello there,
has anyone ever built a four tracks layout like the one below ? A few photos would be much appreciated. Thank you.
777.jpg
End2end

Re: Four tracks layout

Post by End2end »

I can't say I've seen one.
Personally I would skip 1st radius and use 2nd, 3rd, 4th and flexitrack for the outer loop.
1st radius track limits what you can run on it.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Have to agree with E2E. Rad 1 is very limited as to what can run on it. Rad 2 still restricts some larger locos!
Cant see any real potential in such a plan and I think it would soon become a very boring. No sidings and no ability for cross overs etc
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Raboliot

Post by Raboliot »

Thanks for all your answers folks. I found this video of a big layout: Hornby 00 model train layout 10x6ft
Raboliot

Post by Raboliot »

Not a "four tracks" layout but very interesting too: My 6x4 layout, Sumware
JickettyCan

Post by JickettyCan »

End2end wrote:I can't say I've seen one.
Personally I would skip 1st radius and use 2nd, 3rd, 4th and flexitrack for the outer loop.
1st radius track limits what you can run on it.
Thanks
End2end
Although i'd never use a larger steamer (eg merchant navy) we've got two class 92's that get around 1st radius with no problems and they both have three axles per bogey.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I made a 4 track layout for a few months on an 8x4 board using just 1st and 2nd radius curves and using the R600 standard length straights to widen the outer two tracks.
I did not have the layout like this for long because it did not have sidings so was a bit pointless other then to watch the movement of trains.
I never forget being asked to look at someones layout and he had three quadripe track Gaugemaster controllers on his layout. I looked at his layout and saw that it had no proper sidings and all his trains were passenger trains and to me his trackplan made no sense. Sure it filled up his attic with trains but why? (I am not against running lots of trains but to me it has to have the "Feel" of a believable real railway even if it is a tailchaser).

I suggested to the gentleman how he could have an impressively large double track layout with a large station and an impressive locomotive depot. I don't know if he took my advice or not. He later had to move house so I do not know if he has had a new layout in his new house or not. I expect he has.

Clever layout design in a small space needs to give a believable impression without flooding the layout with track.
I know this now, but in my youth I made many track flooded layouts until I realized that no matter how much track I had, I would always buy more stock and have no where on the layout to put it! (I could invent a "Mountain's law" to this effect! Haha! It actually happens on the real railway as well).
End2end

Post by End2end »

JickettyCan wrote:Although i'd never use a larger steamer (eg merchant navy) we've got two class 92's that get around 1st radius with no problems and they both have three axles per bogey.
A select few will. Most will complain.

(What do you mean how does a loco complain? Haven't you seen the Thomas series) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread