A birthday gift

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
BubbleGum

A birthday gift

Postby BubbleGum » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:55 am

Good day!

My birthday is imminent and I was asked the magical question: what do you want to get. A few years ago I was into modeling and I loved it but it was a model here and there. But deep inside my heart I always knew what I wanted to do. Railways! Having more time on my hand (thank you lockdown) I would love to give it a go, to try. I have a room at home, so that is not a problem and if It really sucks me in and turns out to be a real passion (as I think it is) then also money with not be much of an issue. But for now, I am at the beginning of my adventure, with family asking what do I want for my birthday. Dear friends, what can I wish for if I want to start my adventure with railway modeling? What would be best for a newbie like me? Not stupid person but inexperienced. Where do I start? Thank you!

End2end

Re: A birthday gift

Postby End2end » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:48 am

Perhaps start with a train set and work your way upwards. This way it will give you everything you need all in one box to start enjoying playing, er I mean running trains. :D
I started out with the simplest, cheapest 2 loco Bachmann DCC Starter set specifically as I wanted to use DCC power and all it's extra bells and whistles, although It's all been replaced now.

Some things to consider before you start though. Which scale / gauge do you want to model in? DC or DCC powered? How large would you like your layout to be (according to available space of course.)

Obviously there are many more questions like, steam or diesel etc but I think those first questions above are more paramount at initial outset.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end

Edit: Oops I nearly forgot, and a Happy Birthday and welcome to the forum. :)
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:36 pm

Have you taken a look at the 'layouts' section of this forum? A good range of ideas there.

While a complete trainset is the simplest 'one shot' starter, there are packaged alternatives from Bachmann and Hornby: 'Train packs' and 'Track packs' which possibly might better match something you are interested in.

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:50 pm

I would recommend Digital Control from day one ,buy the super detailed locos and coaches,they are a bit more expensive but are so worth it,Nickle silver track also ,a couple of train sets to get you going although they come will Analouge controlers are Hornby R1251m and R1252m,I've got both of them and they really are stunning .

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”