Girder Bridge

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Chuffinell

Girder Bridge

Postby Chuffinell » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:16 am

I'm looking for near-ish replica of the attached style. Could be card, downloadable, plastic kit, MDF kit, r-t-r. Near enough would do tbh. 4mm/OO scale. Just the actual steel bridge structure, wing-walls etc not an issue. Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Attachments
DSC01811.JPG

Bigmet

Re: Girder Bridge

Postby Bigmet » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:38 pm

For the main structural plate girder, Peco have a couple of items:
https://peco-uk.com/products/vari-girder-plate
What supply might be like ATM, who knows? Probably retailers with stocks however if prepared to hunt them down.

The question would be is the girder side deep enough for the intended span? Rule of thumb is the depth should be at least a seventh of the span. As for the 'add on' jettied out walkway structure, on your own there! It's possible that N or Z might offer something that could be cemented on.

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:19 pm

Bigmet wrote:The question would be is the girder side deep enough for the intended span? Rule of thumb is the depth should be at least a seventh of the span. As for the 'add on' jettied out walkway structure, on your own there! It's possible that N or Z might offer something that could be cemented on.

Is there also a rule of thumb for how long a bridge can be before having to add safety recesses?
Apologies, I forget the correct terminology.
And tunnels too?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:49 pm

End2end wrote:Is there also a rule of thumb for how long a bridge can be before having to add safety recesses?
And tunnels too?
Thanks
End2end

For a modern bridge/tunnel, yes probably, it will be in a RIS or Group Standard somewhere. For older bridges, no, just put a "limited clearance" red/white chequerboard on either end.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:57 pm

Thanks stuartp.
There's so many facets to our hobby, it is truly fascinating researching and learning all the small details. :)
Apologies for going off topic.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:42 pm

End2end wrote:
Bigmet wrote:The question would be is the girder side deep enough for the intended span? Rule of thumb is the depth should be at least a seventh of the span. As for the 'add on' jettied out walkway structure, on your own there! It's possible that N or Z might offer something that could be cemented on.

Is there also a rule of thumb for how long a bridge can be before having to add safety recesses?
And tunnels too?
Thanks
End2end

Refuge. :)
Pete.

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:19 pm

I've not tried it yet, but I'm intending to have a go at printing this in the next few days:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3401416/comments

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:13 am

Useful looking item. Do you intend using it as a functioning bridge unit sitting on pillars, or simply cosmetic dressing for a structural piece of baseboard?

As a long ago convert to open top baseboard construction, the two railway bridges of my entire railway modelling career have all been on the basis of the regular ply track support, afterwards 'dressed' with purely decorative representations of prototype bridge structure.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:33 am

The Scalescenes girder bridge kit is as near as close as to what is asked for. https://scalescenes.com/product/r012a-plate-girder-bridge/
Its downloadable and can once downloaded be printed as many times as wished. Available in a choice of seven brick or stone wall finishes and is available in N or OO scales plus variable width, depth and height. For just £3.99
You then need a printer, suitable thickness card and paper glue (Pritstick or even PVA can be used) Plus craft knife with new blade and perhaps something to cut on? I use a self healing cutting mat, but thick card will do too. :D
No connection with the company other than a very happy user of their products :D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:04 pm

Bigmet wrote:Useful looking item. Do you intend using it as a functioning bridge unit sitting on pillars, or simply cosmetic dressing for a structural piece of baseboard?

As a long ago convert to open top baseboard construction, the two railway bridges of my entire railway modelling career have all been on the basis of the regular ply track support, afterwards 'dressed' with purely decorative representations of prototype bridge structure.

Was that directed to me? If so, I intend to use it as a functioning bridge, to replace an existing bridge. I had a guess at the dimensions this morning and printed it, and I think it's useable. I'll only use 1 smallish section of the bridge, and have it held up by brink embankments at either end.

Photos below of progress on the print at 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours and then the final product, and a selection held in place where it will be positioned, and with some track laid in place. It's a little narrow, but should be usable, just need to cover the track bed with something.

The link posted above to the scale scenes download looks like it would provide some good parts to use.

Please excuse the thread hijack, but if the initial poster is interested in this sort of bridge, I'm happy to print one and post it...

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”