Metcalfe or Resin

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
IAN1955

Metcalfe or Resin

Postby IAN1955 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:50 am

I am a month off 66 and then will get my state pension, being disabled have been unemployed for the last few years, so been on a reduced income.

As a person just coming back into the hobby of model railways, I was looking at reducing my costs, over the last 12 months I have been buying Skaledale Resin buildings, though very nice they are very expensive, to fill out my layout it would cost me a fortune.

Last week I was given a Metcalfe model to try (Regent Cinema), I always turned my nose up at cardboard, not wanting to offend my friend I gave it a go, wow!! now converted, they compliment my Faller plastic models so happy days.

Now going to sell Skaledale and buy more Metcalfe

Bufferstop

Re: Metcalfe or Resin

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:31 am

Resin cast models can gain in value, so you should do well. Resin cast brickwork and for that matter textured plasticard looks to me to have exaggerated mortar lines, too deep. Digtal calipers often reveal 1" deep mortar lines, corners exposed in close up look like they are ready for repointing. Perhaps I have a more active imagination. Die printed card well made can look more like the real thing, certainly if the die is new.
It stamps the mortar line in.
I know I'm always banging on about it, but I have to rationalise my otherwise illogical liking for card kits.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

UrbanHermit

Postby UrbanHermit » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:48 pm

Not illogical at all in my book, Bufferstop. I have the same issue with plastic and resin that you have. Printed card can depict very fine detail, and at 1/76 the lack of embossed texture doesn't bother me at all.

I am also a serial builder of Metcalfe kits. And their quality is improving all the time.
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:49 pm

Both are nice. I loved the resin buildings. However I also had a lot of Metcalfe card buildings and for the first few years we had to cut ourt every window as it was only later their kits came precut. They are nice kits though.

The only two downsides to Metcalfe are that they are too popular so every other layout has them, and the second is that the Scaledale resin buildings next to Metcalfe card buildings tend to look odd as they lack a consistant look. I have however, mixed Metcalfe kits with Superquick kits and that worked ok. There was a noticeable difference between the two makes of card kit but it was not so pronounced as mixing resin and card, and I much preferred the Superquick engine shed. A few of them side by side and back to back and one had a whole depot.

I sold my 00 gauge buildings when I changed to model in 7mm scale. I still have many 00 gauge locos and stock I could do with parting with as my 7mm narrow gauge has taken hold. (You can tell that I am having fun!)

Metcalfe are good card kits so you can't really go wrong. They are not cheap though but they are usually straightforward to build and it is a blessing not to need to cut out every window! Haha! Used to take ages. :P

May I suggest something which I did not do when I made my card kits is that it is worth taking extra time in building them to paint internal walls so if one peers through windows they give an essence of realism. It does not have to be detailed. Just a general background colour other then the card look and maybe the odd false floor etc. I don't see the point of going into extremes of having full interiors of buildings that one can't see into. I tended to also if making my own buildings in the past was to only paint the viewable sides as it does save some work. Why paint the sides that can't be seen? But that was me being lazy as a teenager or a young adult keen to run trains! I have more patience today.

Whatever method or make or style of buildings you end up with enjoy! And don't forget a backscene! I used to LOVE Brian Sheriff backscenes. So many interesting little scenes painted... On one backscene sheet there is even Steptoe and Son painted on a doorway. They were fun!

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:57 pm

If money's very tight but you have a decent printer take a look at Scalescenes.
Regards
Rob

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:30 pm

Metcalfe is brilliant and can be used with resin, or scratch built buildings.
If money is tight I'd go for Metcalfe.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:29 pm

Ironduke wrote:If money's very tight but you have a decent printer take a look at Scalescenes.

Agree, however you do need a good quality printer, (probably the only downside of working from home) and printer ink is not cheap, however there is the plus point that if you download the file once the number of times you can print out the kit is unlimited. The kits and "builders yard" brick papers can be turned into pretty decent buildings. I avoid the ready made buildings as the trend is towards models based on specific prototypes and away from generic examples, and it is not everyone that wants to model Goathland or he Bluebell Line.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”