Peco Y points Electrofrog

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Neilw

Peco Y points Electrofrog

Postby Neilw » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:49 pm

Ive just got to grips with wiring Peco point motors and polarity switches Etc but have just discovered the reverse of the Y point is different , with no different instructions . There is no wire from the frog for instance . I know that I can still fit the point motor but I wanted to improve slow running and not just rely on point blade contact . The Y point only leads to a siding so I’m not bothered about the polarity switching .

Any thoughts on how to improve slow running from anybody would be appreciated .

Bigmet

Re: Peco Y points Electrofrog

Postby Bigmet » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:31 pm

Never used that track piece, but what you would have to do is treat the entire pair of point blades and the crossing as a single piece electrically and feed this from a polarity change switch on the motor, and isolate the rails after the crossing from the rails they connect to. 'The problem' is that the action of the switch must only happen while the blades are out of contact with the stock rails to avoid a short circuit, so the point motor mechanism needs to have little slack in both the blade movement and the timing of the polarity switch change. Hope that makes sense.

Not having done this, I don't have a point motor to recommend, that will definitely do the job. (For DCC, this might be a good application for a 'frog juicer', which is a rapid action switch intended to overcome such problems.)

RFS

Postby RFS » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:33 pm

The topic has been covered a few times on another forum (RMWeb), eg https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/157365-peco-small-y-electrofrog-normal-y-point/&tab=comments#comment-4084991

This topic also contains links to some other threads on the topic too. Basically you have to modify the point yourself to get the frog isolated for control by a switch.
Robert Smith

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:27 pm

You can use them as they are. For the reasons above, if you want to use a switch to remove reliance on blade contact it's best to convert fully and cut through the rails between the blades and frog. I've done several older Code100 points this way and it's quite easy to do. A junior hacksaw blade is best for a clean cut, and a piece of plasticard can be glued into the gap and later carved into shape. Don't forget to solder jumpers across for the point blades.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:37 pm

All Peco points were like the small Y; the rest have been retooled and maybe the small Y will be altered in due course.

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:57 am

I wish they would make a live frog medium Y based on the setrack tooling. The geometry of the setrack Y works well where a small Y is really a bit tight. I might try to convert mine.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”