Nothing model railway available as a gift

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bigmet

Nothing model railway available as a gift

Postby Bigmet » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:50 am

Now this is very much a 'first world' problem, but I am looking at failure to fulfill my Christmas gift duty, since that distant time when my wife and I arrived at 'The Agreement'. (Our respective families observe different customs: mine, modest gifts for children only, hers, everybody gets a lavish pile of gifts, and expresses fulsome delight over each wonderful gift received. I have been brought into line with the latter, naturally, when in their territorial domains.)

The model railway hobby has certainly been very helpful in enabling me to provide items to receive with joy, since I resumed it twenty some years past. But truly, this year I draweth a blank: whether shepherds, stargazers, wise men or kings (select from the latter trio according to preference) are prospectively bearing the gifts, there isn't much to place in their generous hands in order that ye anciente customs be kept.

There is a splendid list of fine new RTR OO models from a full half dozen of our current band of suppliers that I would be most happy to receive, but I don't anticipate seeing any of these available before 2021. (I really cannot ram many more books or music recordings into our modest cottage, and the desireable practical and necessary possibilities such as tools, components, and the clothing items that significantly wear out (socks, undies) are very definitely not on the approved list - failure of presentation, no nice box.) I imagine it won't be that good a season for the model railway retailers, lots on order, something of a lack of the new items that should fly off the shelves almost as soon as they go on sale.

luckymucklebackit

Re: Nothing model railway available as a gift

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:36 pm

Hornby's trio of Thompson Pacifics are scheduled for release between October and December, I have pre-ordered myself an Xmas Present with the name Steady Aim on it, hopefully it will make the sleigh in time!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:59 pm

With pre-orders ordered before any Covid 19 due supposedly September/October 2020 and no sign of forthcoming, railway related gifts for Christmas will be thin on the ground. In fact it would be safe to say non-existent.

Many members of family and friends know I like to cook and they have intimated items related to cookery will be my presents this year.

Before anyone suggests ''All round to the Glencairn's for Christmas," unfortunately you will be turned away. We are in the 'high risk' category.
Christmas Dinner and pudding is 'all ours'. :lol:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:14 pm

@Bigmet. What do you buy the man that has everything ?

STORAGE !! :idea: :lol:

Funny enough I've been looking at wagon storage recently.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:38 pm

luckymucklebackit wrote:Hornby's trio of Thompson Pacifics are scheduled for release between October and December...

Apart from a few wagons, a Hornby A2/3 is the one glimmer. But retailer is of the opinion that it will be a close run thing.

And 'the rules' are strict, the gift has to be with the giver in advance, to allow for the mandatory fancy wrapping. (Apparently the wrapping is a major element in the entertainment quotient. In my family, use of a printed sheet from a magazine or newspaper to actually wrap a gift - instead of presenting it in the bag the shop supplied - was considered very upmarket, and you could tell they cared if a relevant headline or picture had been carefully kept for the purpose.)

My order is in for Sunk Bum (60532, work it out) but more in hope than expectation.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:22 pm

Rebel. Renage on the agreement, tell them you don't want anything for Christmas and buy them all a sponsored goat or guide dog or something similarly useful and altruistic.

I have eventually persuaded my mother in law that "nothing I can't eat or wear" means exactly that, and definitely nothing railway related. I don't need any more remaindered "Big Book of Trains" type pressies. She gets her revenge by gift wrapping bags of crisps and cans of pop for me.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:33 pm

stuartp wrote:Rebel. Renege on the agreement, tell them you don't want anything for Christmas and buy them all a sponsored goat or guide dog or something similarly useful...

You are reading my mind. Toilet Twinning seems exceptionally suitable for the folk with nine bathrooms: and there's a nicely framed picture of the lavatory to wrap and gift to them...

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:42 pm

stuartp wrote:Rebel. Renage on the agreement, tell them you don't want anything for Christmas and buy them all a sponsored goat or guide dog or something similarly useful and altruistic.

I have eventually persuaded my mother in law that "nothing I can't eat or wear" means exactly that, and definitely nothing railway related. I don't need any more remaindered "Big Book of Trains" type pressies. She gets her revenge by gift wrapping bags of crisps and cans of pop for me.

Just imagine you've been voted in as the new Government. Renege is so easy. :)
Pete.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:00 pm

I well remember receiving an envelope on Christmas Day with a order ticket it in; for a couple of years or so it seemed in the 1970s Hornby failed to bring out their one and only new loco for the year in time for Christmas

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:56 pm

Peterm wrote:Just imagine you've been voted in as the new Government. Renege is so easy. :)

Thanks Pete. My truth in humour laugh for the day. :D :lol:

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:47 pm

Joy unbounded, it seems likely that someone will be able to give me the BR late crest N7 from Oxford Rail, as there are reports of them showing up at retailers. Hurrah, I shall not be glared at for failing to do my duty...

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”