Peco Track still in Short Supply

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
deltic88
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:24 am

Peco Track still in Short Supply

Postby deltic88 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:37 am

After a short closedown due to Covid Peco restarted production in mid April. I've had oo gauge points on order with my retailer since June and still no delivery date.
However a call to Peco shows they have all I want and if I cancel my model shop order and buy direct -at full market price - I can have them straightaway.
Some bad decisions being made here I think by Peco. No sense of looking after customers retail or trade. Still not caught up production even from April some 4 months ago.

Bigmet
Posts: 7661
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Peco Track still in Short Supply

Postby Bigmet » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:15 pm

deltic88 wrote:...Some bad decisions being made here I think by Peco...

Can you prove that? Alternatives are possible. Decision by retailer not to restock for example.

User avatar
Bufferstop
Posts: 12361
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:06 pm
Location: Bottom end of N. Warks line

Re: Peco Track still in Short Supply

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:18 pm

Of the retailers I've spoken too (face to face) since they re-opened all but one were only ordering the most in demand items, 00 code 100, and N. They were all prepared to order other items for you but you would be paying full RRP. Remember that Peco doesn't produce everything at once so there will be peaks and troughs in the supply until they have gone through a few production schedules.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1
Posts: 6296
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Dorset - A mile from West Bay.

Re: Peco Track still in Short Supply

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:40 pm

I've checked a certain Widnes company who seem to have most code 100 & code 75 points in stock
I have no doubt that some items are not available, but I have a feeling this is not particularly a
Peco problem.
I will agree that they are out of both code 100 & 75 wooden sleeper flexi track. I did have trouble
myself getting '0' bullhead lengths, although since sourced and lain.

Exactly what are you after ? then perhaps someone may point you in the right direction.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

mahoganydog
Posts: 803
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:25 pm
Location: Sat looking at the computer screen

Re: Peco Track still in Short Supply

Postby mahoganydog » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:23 pm

Dad-1 wrote:
perhaps someone may point you in the right direction.



That's a terrible pun.
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

IAN1955
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:27 pm

Re: Peco Track still in Short Supply

Postby IAN1955 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:25 pm

What you have to consider is that like any other manufacturer the world came to a halt, no one was making products, this had a knock on effect.

What stocks were available were rapidly bought up (supply and demand), some companies bought up stock knowing most people would be modelling and they hiked the prices up, that is another motive discussion.

Now we are getting back to some form of normality some factories have reduced staff because of safety of their employees, it is going to take some time full fill back orders and then to restock to normal levels.

Moral is be patient

Dad-1
Posts: 6296
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Dorset - A mile from West Bay.

Re: Peco Track still in Short Supply

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:59 pm

Perhaps the OP is patient, they've not made any fresh comments
since that first posting.
As IAN1955 say, the world is in rather a mess. It's surprising how one
small element can bring complete industries to a stand still !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

smeghead28
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Peco Track still in Short Supply

Postby smeghead28 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:39 am

deltic88 wrote:After a short closedown due to Covid Peco restarted production in mid April. I've had oo gauge points on order with my retailer since June and still no delivery date.
However a call to Peco shows they have all I want and if I cancel my model shop order and buy direct -at full market price - I can have them straightaway.
Some bad decisions being made here I think by Peco. No sense of looking after customers retail or trade. Still not caught up production even from April some 4 months ago.



I had the same problem but if you consider more "unusual" sources such as Amazon and ebay (not everyones first port of call) you will probably get what you want although as others have suggested probably at a premium price.

User avatar
RailwayRobbo
Posts: 526
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:32 pm
Location: Deepest, Darkest Northants.

Re: Peco Track still in Short Supply

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:40 pm

I'm at the stage where I've more or less finalised my track plan for my Goods Depot layout ROBINSON ROAD.
I thought I'd have a look what was on offer. After over half an hour on the web I gave up. I need 8 or 9 small radius left and right electrofrog turnouts in total. In all the big stores (Hattons, Rails, Cheltenham MC etc.) I found 1 x LH small radius available. I couldn't find any RH at all. Code 100 flexitrack is in very short supply as well. I guess I'll be patient and see what happens over the next month.

User avatar
stuartp
Posts: 1146
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Peco Track still in Short Supply

Postby stuartp » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:51 pm

IAN1955 wrote:What you have to consider is that like any other manufacturer the world came to a halt, no one was making products, this had a knock on effect.

What stocks were available were rapidly bought up (supply and demand)...


Quite. There are far more companies making bog roll than Code 75 bullhead track and look how long it took that to get back to normal.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

User avatar
Bufferstop
Posts: 12361
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:06 pm
Location: Bottom end of N. Warks line

Re: Peco Track still in Short Supply

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:16 pm

Peco may be back at work and producing, but at what level. If they can only safely accommodate say 60% of their workforce at any one time then you can expect delays in the fulfilment of regular orders. The most labour intensive parts of the operation are likely to be hit hardest.
My son is still providing technical support for heritage models of one major car company from his dining room table, his desk in the office is likely to remain out of bounds for some time yet! One survey of major companies has found that 37% have plans to keep staff remote working rather than spend what income they are getting on new premises. There was already a trend in this direction, lockdown has speeded it up.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Buelligan
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:18 pm

Re: Peco Track still in Short Supply

Postby Buelligan » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:09 pm

RailwayRobbo wrote:I'm at the stage where I've more or less finalised my track plan for my Goods Depot layout ROBINSON ROAD.
I thought I'd have a look what was on offer. After over half an hour on the web I gave up. I need 8 or 9 small radius left and right electrofrog turnouts in total. In all the big stores (Hattons, Rails, Cheltenham MC etc.) I found 1 x LH small radius available. I couldn't find any RH at all. Code 100 flexitrack is in very short supply as well. I guess I'll be patient and see what happens over the next month.



How much flexi do you need? I think I've got some left over from mine, not sure how much though.

User avatar
RailwayRobbo
Posts: 526
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:32 pm
Location: Deepest, Darkest Northants.

Re: Peco Track still in Short Supply

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:44 pm

Buelligan wrote:
RailwayRobbo wrote:I'm at the stage where I've more or less finalised my track plan for my Goods Depot layout ROBINSON ROAD.
I thought I'd have a look what was on offer. After over half an hour on the web I gave up. I need 8 or 9 small radius left and right electrofrog turnouts in total. In all the big stores (Hattons, Rails, Cheltenham MC etc.) I found 1 x LH small radius available. I couldn't find any RH at all. Code 100 flexitrack is in very short supply as well. I guess I'll be patient and see what happens over the next month.



How much flexi do you need? I think I've got some left over from mine, not sure how much though.


Thanks for the offer Derrick.
Not sure but I'd say 8 - 10 lengths maybe.
I'm fine at the moment don't really need it yet. Still got plenty to do now I've got the track plan finalised.
I got some cork for track underlay last week and ply for the backscene.
Also got a few non railway jobs outside to finish off before the weather gets colder and the days get shorter.
Thanks again anyway for the offer.
Pete.

User avatar
glencairn
Posts: 4142
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:09 pm
Location: Both sides of the Border

Re: Peco Track still in Short Supply

Postby glencairn » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:18 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Peco may be back at work and producing, but at what level. If they can only safely accommodate say 60% of their workforce at any one time then you can expect delays in the fulfilment of regular orders. T


I have orders with other Companies who although back at work are running at 50/60% staff capacity. I have been told my orders are being processed, but delivery time is not available. One of my orders was made pre-lockdown.
One waits patiently. :)

Not wanting to be political, but orders from China are thick and fast. :evil:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought


Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], mjb1961 and 22 guests