Crazy Prices

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
BrightonMan

Crazy Prices

Postby BrightonMan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:54 pm

I was browsing through the Bachmann website earlier and was astounded at the prices they are charging for their ready-to-plant buildings. For example, to get the four parts that make up the Sheffield Park (Bluebell Railway) station building would cost just shy of £310.00! That's just the building, no platform. Does anybody actually buy this stuff?

Mountain

Re: Crazy Prices

Postby Mountain » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:10 am

I have been thinking a similar thing about their (Along with other manufacturers) locos, rolling stock, track, controllers etc! I think I am behind the times when it comes to prices!

I would imagine they will be lovely buildings though, and put it this way. If one is prepared to pay £150 for a decent loco, then just over £300 seems fair if the station is large enough and just as finely detailed. (Though I do agree if you said £150 to £175 would be about right).

But, what one could do with is trying to see the model buildings for real in a shop before one makes the decision to part with ones cash. Difficult to do that at the moment.

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:24 am

All the while someone will pay it, they will charge it. Meanwhile the rest of us don't, sales are less than expected and profits fall, so the price increases. (Hornby)
There did seem to be a sudden price doubling of all things railways a few years ago, from which it's never really recovered.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:53 pm

The difference I've found, (for those of us who like to detail the interiors of our buildings) between Hornby and Bachmann is that Hornby pre-made buildings have terrible cave-like lumpy internal walls. Nothings straight inside. That plus Hornby windows never seem to be glued into place straight. :roll:
Just two of the reasons I use Linka.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

George Stein

Postby George Stein » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:03 pm

So, Covid shutdown = time on our hands and no money. Solution to building prices? CARDSTOCK.

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:55 pm

George Stein wrote:Solution to building prices? CARDSTOCK.

Absolutely. All my buildings are card (apart from a Ratio platelayers hut). I've never had the urge to buy ready made buildings, I enjoy making kits too much for that.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:48 pm

I don't really get the point of doing a high price plastic model of a particular unique location unless the buyer is going to model that location (Sheffield Park and Goathland come to mind). If you are modelling that location then you have won a watch, although most plastic building models still look like, well plastic, until they are properly fettled and weathered. If you are going to build a layout with a LBSCR building similar to Sheffield Park you face a choice of scratchbuilding or taking the knife to an expensive model, it would be scratchbuilding for me!
The card buildings are my preference, and can be upgraded with some better windows and if desired, some brick plasticard as overlays to give more texture.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:55 pm

Without wishing to restart the card/plastic argument I do think that the resin cast buildings on offer are a rather expensive way ofcreating buildings. whether you use card or plastic to build your own is largely a personal preference. Having used card for a decade or so it's my goto material, but if my layout wasn't as comfortable housed as I am there would be an obvious advantage in plastic over moisture absorbent card. The process for making the cast resin buildings is very similar to that used in the "Lilliput Lane" decorative models which are highly collectable and were just as expensive to make (So much so that it became un-sustainable and they shut up shop.)
To the accusation that card always looks like card, I counter that unless you do a similar amount of finishing work, plastic always looks like plastic. Some of the Hornby products are replacements for the earlier buildings which were casualties of the bean counters great throw out of tooling from Margate. Find a specimen, clean it up a little, make a new mould, no expensive tooling charges.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

IAN1955

Postby IAN1955 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:44 am

Talking of crazy prices and price increases.

I like reading the magazine Model Rail out every month, that is my choice of preferred magazine, the usual price is £4.50 per month a fair price, August price was £4.50.

The September issue was £5.99 I was shocked to that size of increase, the ironic thing was it was wrapped in cellophane with a special offer of a free publication with it, do they think we are stupid, the price increase was to offset the so called free magazine.

So doing the maths or sums depending on your age that is a increase of 33% so I left it on the shelf.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:36 pm

The not really free mag appears to be a Sainsburys promotion, the cover price is still £4.60.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:26 pm

To answer the OPs question presumably some people do but I doubt many pay the full price as most retailers give discounts straight away so purchasers will be getting around a fifth off. If items do not sell then expect bigger discounts eventually of half price or less.

IAN1955

Postby IAN1955 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:06 pm

Well I was a bit miffed at the price so I sent an email to Model rail and got this reply back from them, at least they had the decency to reply, suppose i will have to either buy it or leave it simple choice.

Many thanks for getting in touch in reference to your recent purchase of Model Rail magazine.

Its great to hear that Model Rail has up until now been your preferred choice of title and you are right - the current price of the magazine remains at £4.50. Twice or maybe three times a year Model Rail appears on the shelf in selected grocery stores (generally Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Morrisons) in bag along with a bookazine.

The September issue of Model Rail magazine was on sale at the higher price of £5.99 for both the mag and the additional Bookazine for that issue only. Research and insight from Model Rail customers suggests that these bundle deals are generally well received and popular with our readers. As a result of feedback from our customers Bauer publishes three Model Rail bookazines a year covering a variety of topics in depth, they are classed as a bookazine as they have more pages than the monthly magazine and are on sale for longer time period (generally in WHSmiths) and their cover prices range from £7.99 through to £5.99.

I appreciate your feedback and sincerely hope that you continue to read and enjoy Model Rail each month.

Best regards

Emma

Emma Glanville
Marketing Manager

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:30 pm

Or buy it for 4.50 from somewhere that isnt one of their 'selected grocery stores'.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

sarah

Re: Model Rail bundle...

Postby sarah » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:27 pm

Hi all.

I posted this elsewhere....7th August...

We have just got back from a shopping trip to Sainsbury's.

There was a very tempting offer in the magazines section.

Model Rail magazine, in a bag with a copy of Britain's Model Trains.

The Model Rail magazine is in the front, with a banner on the bag saying 2 for the price of one.

Now call me cynical, but I checked the price printed on the Model Rail magazine.

It is £5.99.

Now Model Rail magazine is usually £4.60....and that is the price shewn on the cover of the same "harbour" issue on the Model Rail website...

So, it is not 2 magazines for price of one Model Rail magazine, as the presentation of Model Rail on the front would indicate.

Britain's Model Trains is £7.99...

So, what is occurring?

Possibly still a good price but I was looking at it as a free Britain's Model Trains...

I don’t usually buy Britain’s Model Trains...

Also, I neglected to look if it was the 2020 issue of Britain's Model Trains...or an earlier copy?

As soon as I saw the price, I put the package back!

This offer may well be available at other outlets....

BRM seems to vary the price on the cover of its magazine depending on what "extras" are bundled with the magazine....

And this part a week later...14 August...

Well, I looked again on today’s trip to Sainsbury’s, and I can confirm that the Britain’s Model Trains is the 2020 issue

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:32 pm

sarah wrote:...The Model Rail magazine is in the front, with a banner on the bag saying 2 for the price of one.

Now call me cynical, but I checked the price printed on the Model Rail magazine.

It is £5.99.

Now Model Rail magazine is usually £4.60....and that is the price shewn on the cover of the same "harbour" issue on the Model Rail website...

So, it is not 2 magazines for price of one Model Rail magazine, as the presentation of Model Rail on the front would indicate.

Britain's Model Trains is £7.99...

So, what is occurring?

The cynicism is all from the selling organisation, which I would characterise as 'Let's hope that at the point of sale, most buyers will simply choke up the higher price. Ka-ching.'

That's all and only what this is about, more revenue per sale.

(The defence could and might argue that since the mean of the normal MR cover price and the BMT cover price is slightly over £6, then £5.99 is 'two for the price of one'. But the common usage of 'two for price of one' is two of the same items, not a Pizza and a Frisbee, even though both are 10" diameter, tasteless and probably made of plastic.)

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”