Manchester Railways

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
IAN1955

Manchester Railways

Post by IAN1955 »

Even though I have travelled round a bit, I now live in Lincolnshire but my roots are still in the Greater Manchester area (Tameside).

What I am trying to create is a northern based theme not exactly based upon Manchester but its trains and buses from that region.

I cannot find any DMU's or any thing resembling trains that run out of Manchester (modern), for example Piccadilly to Hadfield or Piccadilly to Glossop or to St Helens that type of thing.

All the models I have seen are predominantly Southern or Midlands, can any one please help, do not want Steam that is not my era, I must be looking in the wrong but for my sanity can anyone PLEASE help.

Thanks
Ian
stuartp

Re: Manchester Railways

Post by stuartp »

Unfortunately those services are largely in the hands of Class 323 units with a few 319s and 331s thrown in, and none of those are available ready to run. In 4mn there is a chap doing resin 323 bodies on Ebay (thread on Rmweb) and I think Bratchell did a 319 kit. No idea about N/2mm, sorry.

If you go for the non-electrified routes north of Manchester then classes 142, 150, 153,155 and 158 are all available in OO. No TPE Class units yet but their Mk 5 'Nova' coaches are coming from one of smaller manufacturers (Accurascale ?) To go with Dapol's 68.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

IAN1955 wrote:...What I am trying to create is a northern based theme not exactly based upon Manchester but its trains and buses from that region.

I cannot find any DMU's or any thing resembling trains that run out of Manchester (modern), for example Piccadilly to Hadfield or Piccadilly to Glossop or to St Helens that type of thing...
You are firmly in kit and scratchbuilding territory for the largely MU passenger services of the contemporary railway. (Freight - and what little passenger traction there is - and freight vehicles, seem to be where the contemporary RTR productions concentrate, and there is clearly an enthusiastic following for this.)

MU's lag way behind locos and stock in popularity: it is only the last ten years that have seen a reasonable selection of RTR models to provide some coverage of the BR pilot scheme DMU's and EMU's introduced into service from roughly sixty years ago. The coverage becomes increasingly skinny as we move forward in time to the present. I suggest that the organisation that can point you toward what is available to support your interest is probably 'DEMU'. https://www.demu.org.uk
IAN1955

Post by IAN1955 »

Thanks so far, I am very surprised that there are no trains with Manchester livery details, it all appears to be central or southern signage, not wanting to be politically incorrect it looks like another north south divide, think I will have a word with Boris J
hairyhandedfool

Post by hairyhandedfool »

OO Gauge:

Bachmann classes 150 and 158 have been done in a number of liveries from the north of England.
Realtrack Models have produced class 144 units in liveries found in the north.
Hornby have produced classes 142 (though not the best model ever made), 153, and 156 in similar liveries.
Bratchell Models produce a kit for the class 319 units, which you can get as unpainted or pre-painted in a variety of liveries (though it is not cheap).
Railtec Transfers produce transfers for the newest Northern livery.
I believe someone is close to producing a 3D printed class 323, and there are class 195 and 331 cabs ends.

N Gauge:

Farish has produced the class 150 and 158 units in liveries found in the north, but not particularly new ones, and have announced a 319 model in the 'Northern Electrics" purple livery.
Dapol produces classes 142, 153 and 156 in Northern liveries, but not the very latest ones.
Electra Rail Graphics distributes a 3D printed 319 and does a vinyl to convert 158/170 units into a 323 (with Etched Pixels cab ends)
Class 195 and 331 units are available as 3D printed models.
Railtec Transfers also produce transfers in N gauge.

Diesel units get used through both main Manchester stations.

Piccadilly for services to Chester, Buxton, Sheffield, Liverpool (via Warrington), Wigan & Southport, and Manchester Airport.
Victoria for services to Leeds (via Hebden Bridge), Stalybridge, Clitheroe (via Bolton), Wigan & Southport, and Blackburn (via Todmorden). (Class 195 units also go to Chester)

For electric units from Manchester:

Class 319 - Blackpool, Liverpool (via Earlestown), Manchester Airport, Crewe.
Class 323 - Stoke on Trent, Liverpool (via Earlestown), Crewe, Glossop & Hadfield, Manchester Airport.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan