Toy Or Model? Some Blend Inbetween The Two!

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Mountain

Toy Or Model? Some Blend Inbetween The Two!

Postby Mountain » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:00 pm

Firstly I will say that the truth be told, it really does not matter as long as we enjoy and are in love with what we do, as what does it really matter as it is just a name that associates the one with the child generation and the other with the adult generation and to be honest, whichever aspect we choose to enjoy, what matters is that we do enjoy what we do, even though as we go from childhood into adulthood we may concentrate more about the details then the childlike amusement of fun! But, we can have both if we like and why not? :D

But then we look at the ready made products designed for the toy and the model market in this hobby, and sometimes there are overlapping areas where the toys easily come into the model standards, and the models can overlap into the toy standards, and my gut feeling is does it matter? Why should we be concerned if someone says we are playing with toys, or models? It does not stop us doing what we do. If it does stop us our hearts were not in it and we have a pride issue to resolve... But why should it make a difference? Children enjoy their little trainsets as their imaginations develop and they have fun comparing their little sets to the real thing. In a way, they are modellers just like us adults but prehaps with a better sense of fun and enjoyment and a more active imagination!
Now as adults we normally go to much greater lengths to avoid using our imaginations to fill the gap between our creation and the real thing. We know our creative efforts are not real as they are smaller then the real thing. They are copies of the real thing which we immensly enjoy! We like... We LOVE to create!
Children have difficulties in creating as they are still learning with their physical motor control and learning a lot of things with it, so their little railway worlds need to be made to be more helpful for them and more robust. Hence track for young children is often designed for the track to have the flanges rather then the stock that run on it so it is easier for them to get things up and running. They may enjoy pushig their stock round the track letting their imaginations take over, or they may be blessed with a battery powered motor driven locomotive with couplings which are more appropiate to their needs.
But why is it that a well detailed battery operated toy trainset can be classed as a toy, when another is classed as a model when it is also battery operated (Common for the larger scales) and it too may have a simple on and off switch with plastic wheels?
And does it matter as long as we enjoy them?
I write this because sometimes we belittle those who are young as if our hobby is somehow superior to theirs, and yet we at the same time are doing a similar thing but with more detail but use less imagination somehow?
I feel the more realistic our models become, the less we need to use our imaginations to fill the gap. This is somehow something that grinds with me a little with DCC sound. I once had a DCC sound loco and the only thing missing was the exhaust effect from its "Pretend" diesel engine. Even this could have been arranged in model form! But somehow, something major was missing for me and only now I realize what it is. My imagination. Somehow an identical loco without sound was more realistic. Why? Because my mind joined the dots and could relate it better to the prototype. Yet with realistic sound added, somehow my mind was turning off its imagination and it seemed to think "Pretend" rather then real as it had less dots to join! Don't ask me to think why I somehow am not able to make this leap between the two when it is less of a gap to bridge... And I certainly don't want to prevent others from enjoying the realm of sound. But somehow the more realistic a model railway becomes, the less I am able to use my own mind to fill in the gaps. It is actually a credit to those who have created such scenes for me to have said that as their models on their railway have become that good!
But to address this for myself I have stepped back a bit and have avoided too much fine detail and aimed for a consistent approach instead, as it seems to allow my mind to join the dots better. I don't pretend to have the answers but I feel it works for me. I am almost stepping back towards my childhood, so I ask myself this question about my little railway:
"Toy or model?" I really don't know! Have fun! :D

heda

Re: Toy Or Model? Some Blend Inbetween The Two!

Postby heda » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:50 pm

For me, my model railway is a 'big boys toy'. What the actual difference between a train set (toy) and model railway is I'm not sure and as you say 'does it matter'.
It is a hobby, we all want different things from our layout, whether its an actual or fictional location or a mix of both, whether the pleasure is running trains to a timetable, watching them go round and round or the actual building the point of a hobby is to enjoy and keep the mind active.
Dave

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:02 pm

Hmm! Certainly some blending of Toys and Models on Little Weldon.

George Stein

Postby George Stein » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:23 am

A common statement here in the USA is that when someone asks "what railroad is that supposed to be" (implication "it's not prototype"), one merely replies: " It's MY railroad." Run what you please: it's YOUR railroad (or railway).

George
North Carolina

SRman

Postby SRman » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:42 am

The distinction can be blurred. There are highly detailed models, and there are items that are distinctly toy-like, but what happens if one details up a toy-like item to make it more model-like, or conversely, when one paints a detailed model into a fictional or toy-like livery? How do we categorise these things? Personally, I agree with George Stein, that you should run whatever you like, and just enjoy the hobby.

I, myself, am currently in the process of painting quite a good Roco German coach model into a fictitious Christmas livery for my fictitious Christmas train, which will have fictitious Christmas characters (including Santa) appearing in some windows and verandah ends, making what I want/hope to be a good model of a Christmas train ... plus a heap of fun and a bit of creativity on my part.

Lachute

Postby Lachute » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:11 am

All my layouts are more toys than models. In fact they are all big toys and nothing else. But I'm very happy in that way.

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:58 pm

Simples

If its in its box in a cupboard its a collection
If its in a display cabinet its a Model
If its running around a layout its a toy, a big boys toy yes but still a toy

All mine are Toys 8)

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:58 am

George Stein wrote:A common statement here in the USA is that when someone asks "what railroad is that supposed to be" (implication "it's not prototype"), one merely replies: " It's MY railroad." ...

That's my take on it too. It doesn't matter to what lengths you take the modelling to replicate the prototype, it is always only your interpretation. Are you sure that piece of ballast was exactly there on the 17th June 1989? And what about the other million pieces?

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:00 pm

I'd agree that some are toys, the railroad range for example and my 0-4-0's, but when I watch my A4 running it really is like looking at a feat of miniature engineering.
Watching those pistons and con rods move back and forth. Amazing.
I know I shouldn't but I keep looking at 4-8-0's. They look amazing with all that "gubbins" moving. :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:23 pm

Toy's mine maybe, but then at the bottom of the page is my motto which ends ".....Growing up, Forget it!"
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:59 am

flying scotsman123 wrote:Anyway, to the point, why do we feel the need to categorise everything?

Because it's easier to write on the boxes their stored in. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Postby 4472 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:43 pm

This topic has been hijacked. Suggest it is moved to the off topic area
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:19 pm

You are right 4472 but for **** sake why hasn't someone pressed the ! It lights up admin screens in pink to draw our attention to the report. I'll take out the posts back to where the fake news diversion came in. As the rest of the thread is ok.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:31 pm

I've excised a number of posts, and some chunks from others which lead to argument about a certain virus.
Please think before mentioning contentious subjects.
You've seen what happens when you don't

OK folks carry on.
John W
aka Bufferstop.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:59 pm

What did I miss? :P

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”