Service Oil

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
IAN1955

Service Oil

Postby IAN1955 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:41 pm

I have a couple of Diesel locos that the wheel have become stuck, they do not move freely, I do not want to use WD40 what would you suggest.

Thanks
Ian

glencairn

Re: Service Oil

Postby glencairn » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:51 pm

Hi IAN1955. The oil I use is Gaugemaster Lubrication Oil. Other makes are available of a similar nature. DO NOT use WD 40.

May I also suggest a service of the locomotives.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:55 pm

Plastic safe electrical contact cleaner can help with degreasing.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

mkrob

Postby mkrob » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:57 pm

Try Labelle 430-001001 LABELLE LUBE STARTER PACK sold on ebay by goldenvalley hobbies.It's seems quite expensive (£26.99),but it will last years.There's a video on you tube about it & the bit about model railways/Railroading starts about 2.41. Don't use WD40 or 3 in 1, as petroleum based lubricants may harm the plastic gears in your loco! Also have a look on the link below to RMweb which may be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQkU18WmuWw
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Labelle-430- ... SwlRZZvMoW
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index ... -oo-gauge/

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:09 pm

Inox MX3 available in a convenient 60ml needle dropper bottle (not to be confused with MX5 30ml which has PTFE added), if it's available in your country. Here it is available etail on eBay UK, but inc shipping. I've also seen it advertised on Amazon UK, but they're indication currently unavailable on my PC which is currently logged in through an AU VPN. I pay less than half that posted eBay price walk in at my local BCF (Boating, Fishing, Camping) store. UK slot car racers use it, so there must be a local UK retail source.

I've used all my own model railway (& slot car) applications among its myriad of other uses, and this is by far the best for a plastics safe light machine oil, which to my delight, is also a lot more economic than buying minuscule overpriced portions of lesser lubricant in branded bottles e.g. Peco, at many times the price (in my country).

Perfect product for the job in an ergonomic container which is sensibly sized for our needs, and most pleasingly, at a price I prefer to pay.

IAN1955

Postby IAN1955 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:34 pm

Some very interesting comments which I have taken onboard, just had a phone call from a mate in Cyprus who has a large layout, we got talking about this topic, he said he uses sewing machine oil, thoughts on that or is he trying to stitch me up :lol: , no seriously is he right.

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:50 am

There are a zillion brands of "sewing machine oil", albeit less varying in constituency.

if you're going there, just make sure the one you buy is not a repackaged "3 in 1", or is mineral oil based which may gum over time. The base solvent must be safe for plastic and the acrylic paint with its printed detail and and synthetic nylon gear sets used in our models. Although you'd think they would all be given most cheap sewing machines today comprise a lot of plastic and nylon, it ain't necessarily so.

For our use, a quality synthetic light oil machine oil is pretty much optimum in practical application. Shop with discriminative common sense.

As a guide, any grease or oil designed for modern fishing reel lubrication (e.g. Shimano, which have lots of internal plastic and nylon parts as well as stainless steel intended to facilitate longevity in the harsh corrosive marine environment) can be considered safe for our use. Importantly, they will generally be available at camping and fishing superstores in more favourably packaged quantities, and at a fraction of the price of stuff packaged to be marketed to modellers.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:31 am

And going beyond mechanism lubrication, one that I consider proven after more than two decades use on rolling stock bearings; GT85, which is sold as a plastics compatible lube for bikes. Not suitable for model railway mechanisms. But in pinpoint bearings of both RTR and kitbuilt 4mm, superb in action and extremely economical. (I am on my second can for model railway use, and keep in mind that I am now at circa 5,000 pinpoints to lubricate. Apparently there's an even better product now, a plastic compatible lube aimed at r/c drone and model helicopter flyers, I'll try it out when the present two thirds full can runs out, circa 2040: if I am still in life and fit enough to have a working layout.)

Hornchurch

Postby Hornchurch » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:46 am

Bigmet wrote:
And going beyond mechanism lubrication, one that I consider proven after more than two decades use on rolling stock bearings; GT85, which is sold as a plastics compatible lube for bikes.

'

I wanna chime-in on Bigmet's fine suggestion & give a big, no, HUGE shout-out to the merits of the wonderful 'GT.85'

Since using my first-ever large tall-can, one FULL decade ago, (400ml ? I'll check n' amend later), it's literally kicked-out 'WD.40' to the kerb.

Bizarre that, as, when using my (6th-7th), tin the other-day, I looked at the bottom/tin/can, only to find the parent company are linked (thesedays)

Don't have access to my (current), 3-4 tins, as they're outside either in the garage, or, in the back of my Passat.

I'm currently using them DAILY, as I'm renovating/rejuvenating my dearly-beloved 42-year-old Suzuki GS.1000-E -
(a 1978 model, first-registered in 1979) - Photograph of my own actual bike, on FLICKR https://flic.kr/p/27KhVKK

I too use it on ALL of my rolling stock bearings, via "the tiny straw", naturally & believe me, it's used VERY sparingly.

I find a tiny 'split-second' burst, will just dribble down the straw - Enough to do what I need it to do, on model-railway stuff.

What makes 'GT.85' = SOOOOOO Fantastic, is that it's "Rubber-Friendly" - Does NOT attack rubber, as, I'm told that 'WD.40' does.

That's why, for me, it's "kicked WD.40 to the kerb", as it does the same, only 'more' :? :lol: plus I find I'm using it within more applications.

Plenty of 42-year-old Rubber on my ol' 1978 Suzuki (Carb' gasket/seals - Air-box intake - Rear-shock-Gaiters), so it does what WD.40 can't

Lastly, for those that've managed to read thru 'War & Peace' here (sorry, but this product gets MY vote), some sage-advice to follow....

Namely, I've found it on Ebay, but it "is" necessarily expensive - Plus, in Aldi's (where I first saw it), it's only intermittent supply, so.....

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/gt85-lubricant-oil-spray-400ml/p/0337625

My sage advice is to get it from 'Wilko' (Wilkinsons), the typical High-St 'chain-store', as a large 400ml tin is just £3.00 a time,
making it HUGE value.

Newsflash over, Y'all :lol:

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”