Mail train help needed

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
GeoFF03

Mail train help needed

Postby GeoFF03 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:45 am

I’m in need of some help with regard to Royal Mail trains. I’ve recently acquired one of Bachmann’s POS’s (39-421B), and I’m looking to create a rake with a 39-420 (POS without pick-up nets) if I can find one plus BR Mk1 or ex-LMS BG’s. My question is, would the BG’s be in BR livery or Royal Mail colours and markings? This would be for era 4/5. Thanks in advance.

Bigmet

Re: Mail train help needed

Postby Bigmet » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:01 pm

I believe the rule is if the vehicle isn't branded Royal Mail, then it will be in the standard livery for that vehicle and that's how mine is arranged. (Still got to build an LNER TPO, just one more item on the long to-do list!) Checked this point with a friend who commenced his working life in the late 40s with the GPO on the TPO services, initially (and mainly) West Coast London-Crewe and return, but with occasional bouts further North and on East Coast and Western when there were staff shortages. (His model railway is all about 'the milk'. When he left the GPO he took up self employment as a milk roundsman - more convenient hours! - and as his business developed saw quite a lot of the rail operation.)

GeoFF03

Postby GeoFF03 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:34 pm

Many thanks for clearing that up so quickly. So it would seem that I'll not have to repaint the BG's that I already have (lined BR maroon).

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:18 pm

I concur, BR maroon on everything except the Mk1 Royal Mail vehicles.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:14 pm

Unlined maroon/crimson is another possible. The model of the great train robbery had a plain LMS BG. https://youtu.be/l2WTXysSiYE
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:47 pm

Yes sorry. BR livery, not necessarily maroon depending on exect date. But definitely not PO Red.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”