Building a scenery for a total newbies

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Jingle

Building a scenery for a total newbies

Postby Jingle » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:30 pm

Hello,

my Dad is a railway fan. When he was little he used to have models that he would play around. Now that he is retired I decided to bring back the magic of childhood. Who am I lying to? I am excited as well as he is. I gifted him a starting set Piko 97907 for Christmas and as much as we loved running it on the table we would like to move on. What we have in mind is creating a scenery to it and ideally a station or two. We bought the basic, paper station models, fake grass and some figures - as I said, very basic. But we have a trouble how to start putting it together. We would need a plywood bases or maybe cardboard? Are there any resources where we could look to get a hint on what to do first?

Bigmet

Re: Building a scenery for a total newbies

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:00 pm

Welcome, and yes, you need some structure on which the track and scenery is mounted. In outline, what you do is build a support framework with a top surface to make a table on which the layout is constructed. Some links to good content here:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=55411
viewforum.php?f=21

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:25 pm

This is rather like asking if there are animal in a zoo ?
There are just so many options, high, low, short, long and different running options
do tend to dictate some of those constraints.
This is very difficult for someone to advise on, in all probability you don't even know yourself. Just as I've changed
my focus I would expect you to modify what you want based on experience.

Do you want to watch a train rolling by, but going in circles. Visually this can be boring on a small oval. Not so bad
on a larger layout, but this brings you into the railway modellers equation. Space - Time - Cost.

The end to end layout you have to constantly drive, no sitting and watching trains roll by.

These are important decisions for deciding on before you start.

As Bigmet says any layout needs to be built on a foundation. The easiest is a flat board, supported on a frame
of some sort. You soon come across the storage problem, do you have the space, is it easily accessible.
I usually place my tracks on a raised strip that allows me to create natural looking scenery. Although a very small
layout this gives you ideas :- viewtopic.php?f=22&t=45861
I think I've explained how things were achieved. It would prove useful to you to read a few of the build threads
in Personal Layouts Under Construction.
All on here happy to help where we can.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Postby 4472 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:22 pm

I found another good source was to look on Ebay for people selling them. Some have a lot of photos to give you ideas
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”