The Purist

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bufferstop

Re: The Purist

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:02 am

I've looked at some first posts from newbies and chickened out of answering, usually when they are trying to create the impossible on a card table to include the Flying Scotsman set that was a present from a loved one. When they would be better off with Smokey Joe and half a dozen wagons.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:11 am

I do wonder how many of those big express passenger loco + two coaches, tiny track oval, sets, are lurking in cupboards, lofts, attics. Used a couple of times, realisation dawns that this needs something a little bigger than the dining table, put that away...

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:59 pm

I followed the link back to that BNS thread and his parting comment was "What I will say is that when I have finished I will post the photos and anyone will be welcomed to come and check the model. To the rest who had a little belief in me thanks for the advise." Four years on and no photos? Wonder Why?

My comment to the OP - there is a old proverb - "Those who can - do, those who can't - criticize!" I was a member of a club a good few years ago and one of the other members rarely if ever actually did anything practical - he was (still is on one of the other forums) a serial researcher, forever had his head in a book looking up some trivial fact like did DXXXX have yellow ends in the year 19XX. His most annoying trait was to watch you taking hours to put something together then say - "Its a pity you didn't........" I did eventually say to him "Its a pity you didn't actually ever build something that we could get a chance to criticize", didn't change his habits

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:13 pm

I'll just quote again what I heard a guy tell an exhibitor about his layout at an exibition many years ago.
"You do know that those cows weren't introduced into this country till after the period you are modelling."
The operator just gave him a smile then looked at me, shrugged his shoulders and shook his head.
I think it's called 'nit picking'.

Pete

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:39 pm

You should try wargaming!

I once painted a 6mm (the height of the figure) Napoleonic French army. One 'friend' kindly pointed out that the buttons on a particular regiment's tunics,'should be in pairs' and I'd painted them singly! It finished me with the Napoleonic period.

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:52 am

RailwayRobbo wrote:......"You do know that those cows weren't introduced into this country till after the period you are modelling."
The operator ...............
should have given him a 'pat' on the head.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

TEAMYAKIMA

Postby TEAMYAKIMA » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:17 pm

I have just read this thread with interest and I do have some opinions which I won't necessarily post here, but one thing has struck me ....

I exhibit a large (26ft x10ft) Chinese HO layout (or rather I used to!) and one of the great things about Chinese HO is that very very few exhibition viewers know anything about the country or its railways and so I get very few 'opinions' from viewers.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:31 pm

Oher than one of those who told an operator that he thought it was very interesting. :wink:

This was why Rev. Peter Denny chose to model the Great Central on his well known 'Buckingham' layout. Few then really knew much about the GCR, so the research he had done was very unlikely to be challenged and even less so criticised; leaving him free of that encumbrance! Smart fellow.

TEAMYAKIMA

Postby TEAMYAKIMA » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:45 pm

Bigmet wrote:

This was why Rev. Peter Denny chose to model the Great Central on his well known 'Buckingham' layout. Few then really knew much about the GCR, so the research he had done was very unlikely to be challenged and even less so criticised; leaving him free of that encumbrance! Smart fellow.

If you're saying that I have something in common with the Rev. Peter Denny, I'll take that! :D

George Stein

Postby George Stein » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:01 am

Naturally it helps to be in the USA modelling the Great Western. No one has called me out for using five wires instead of six on my line side fencing.

George
North Catolina

Chuffed

Postby Chuffed » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:08 am

Whilst looking for a decent site to join I came across a site for EM, somewhere in Yorkshire I recall. They said they accepted newbies and had a 00 layout for them to play trains before progressing. Suffice to say I enjoy playing trains even if it is code 100 and the stock isn't close coupled :D

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:00 am

George Stein wrote:Naturally it helps to be in the USA modelling the Great Western. No one has called me out for using five wires instead of six on my line side fencing...

Ever made the trip to Golden Railroad Museum, Colorado? Got a lovely old 1880's wooden clerestory coach branded 'Great Western' there.

(And there was no trouble getting inside the firebox of their CB&Q O5 4-8-4 either, US museum staff being a lot more relaxed than our uptight NRM crew...)

DonB

Postby DonB » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:35 am

That is why I have modelled a "what if" - It is unlikely I'll ever get some rivet counter saying "Loco xxxx never ran on the GCR..." Only silly comments like "the points in your fiddle yard are too sharp," or "your building that you built from actual drawings looks wrong..."

I have just revisited that BNS thread; I've been feeling unwell today, and needed a good old chuckle.

George Stein wrote:...No one has called me out for using five wires instead of six on my line side fencing.

You did WHAT??! :lol: :lol:
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”