The Purist

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
IAN1955

The Purist

Postby IAN1955 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:50 pm

Hear is my rant, Why oh why do the purist want to have a go at us novice modellers, I sent some photos of my new base and ideas to a friend as we live a fair distance away from each other (another story) I was not looking for approval, I was just showing him my progress, he rang me and said that wont work, and that will cause you problems, what you are trying to achieve will not look right, he went on and on and on, I think you will all see where I am coming from.

I terminated the call.

Does it have to be perfect to the inch/millimetre, so I will make a mistake here and there, the scenery may not look right, but who gives a dam, it really winds me up that some hobbyist are so intolerant of others and always want perfection which when all said and done is a hobby.

Rant over :x

Bufferstop

Re: The Purist

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:25 pm

See mine and others comments in this thread link they are quite appropriate to your experience. I wouldn't set much store by the opinions of this person. He seems to have forgotten what it's like to be a beginner.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:21 pm

Did he explain why it wouldn't work ? Or was it just a case of he wouldnt have done it like that ? Some "that won't work" advice is worth listening to, some isn't. If he's telling you that something physically won't fit then he may be saving you a lot of grief later.

Somewhere on either here or MRF is a thread where I and someone else tried very patiently to explain to someone why he couldn't expect to get the whole of Birmingham New St on an 8x4 foot board, we gave up in the end.

It doesn't have to be mm perfect but there are actually some things that just don't work.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:29 pm

stuartp wrote:Did he explain why it wouldn't work ? Or was it just a case of he wouldnt have done it like that ? Some "that won't work" advice is worth listening to, some isn't. If he's telling you that something physically won't fit then he may be saving you a lot of grief later.

Somewhere on either here or MRF is a thread where I and someone else tried very patiently to explain to someone why he couldn't expect to get the whole of Birmingham New St on an 8x4 foot board, we gave up in the end.

It doesn't have to be mm perfect but there are actually some things that just don't work.

Ha, yes I remember than BNS thread! I think he called us all trolls at the time. :roll: wonder if he managed it in the end...
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:42 pm

Shooting down newbies is not really fair but the other way around is a little more fun. At one exhibition there was a BR steam era layout with an HO "Big Boy" (monstrous great American loco) pulling a long rake of BR wagons and vans.

Well, I thought it was funny because you can bet a purist did see it and get upset!
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:10 pm

The Purist! :lol: Most are 'Keyboard Warriors'. Never done anything, so shoot others down.

Many of you here know I take photographs of ships.

One day; not so long ago, a ship was leaving port. It was smokin'. Black smoke was pouring from the funnel. Boy was it smokin'. I was on the beach watching it leave the mouth of the river, camera in hand.
I posted the picture on the shipping forum I am a member of.
One keyboard warrior gave me both barrels, a Gatling gun and a thousand rounds from a AK47 Kalashnikov. Apparently (according to him/her) I should never allowed the ship out in such a state. Polluting the air etc. etc. etc.

Shock! Horror! I wasn't the Captain. I only took a picture.

The Purist who gives pure negativity and no real advice I ignore.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

DonB

Postby DonB » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:32 pm

I was taken to task by a member of this very forum for the type of points I had used; this person said that the radius looked too sharp. The points in question were in my fiddle yard.
The same individual then went on to question the dimensional accuracy of one of my scratchbuilt buildings, which were built from original plans!

Sometimes I give up...
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:50 pm

I was once asked by a purist what I thought of his layout, obviously everything was perfect and so I was bound to give it a glowing report, I was eyeing up his canal and lock while we were chatting.

If ever I am asked for an opinion I usually ask do they really want it. Quite confidently he said yes. As you can tell from my signature I am interested in canals and locks. My response was that the lock on his canal was all wrong the water was the same level on either side of the lock, The gates also have to be the right way around, but as there was no right way on the canal I couldn't really say much about them, After a short discussion he had accepted my suggested way of solving the issue.

Don't take criticism to heart, if you are happy with it, it doesn't really matter what others think.

Do you go to sleep counting rivets? :D
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:02 pm

Lancastrian you may know it, but if you don't it worth researching. There's what looks like the most idiotic lock ever in Birmingham. One gate is the opposite way around to the other and most times the water on either side is the same height. It's actually a self closing water retainer, put in where two canals meet and neither company wanted the other to get any of its water. But I bet your rivet counter didn't know about it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:14 pm

Bufferstop wrote:.......... It's actually a self closing water retainer, put in where two canals meet and neither company wanted the other to get any of its water. But I bet your rivet counter didn't know about it.
Thanks, yes I am aware of these, but most are now just left open, as this one would be with the gates it had..
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:21 pm

flying scotsman wrote:
Ha, yes I remember than BNS thread! I think he called us all trolls at the time. :roll: wonder if he managed it in the end...

Given that he was also trying to make the iron girder bridges out of real iron, and resolutely refusing all advice to do them in styrene instead, I doubt it ! The really funny bit was that I'm reasonably sure Jim S-W, who is actually building BNS and knows exactly how big it is, was one of the other parties involved.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:58 pm

Thankfully I've not met anyone like that railway related, this forum especially seems to be just helpful and not judgmental.

However, I do know exactly what you mean. About 8 years ago I was starting out with model boats, I went to the local lake, and joined the club that met there. I met a few good people there, became very good friends with 1 person in particular. But I stopped going to club meeting because of a couple of 'rivet counters', later deliberately going to the lake on non-club days, and finally, giving it up completely as I was fed up of constant criticism of everyone from a certain few members.

However, sometimes it was funny. I took part in a steering competition, in the small scale model category. Except I'd fitted an oversized rudder, a large brass prop, and a motor from a power boat. The little scale model of a corvette was up on the plane and completed the whole course in around 2 mins, doing the boating equivalent of hand brake turns. Came 1st and got the medal! And upset the rivet counters at the same time.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:28 pm

Found the BNS thread -

viewtopic.php?t=49549

There was nothing but practical advice until his ideas started to get so bizarre we began to think it was a wind up. But if your friend is just belittling your ideas instead of pointing out genuine pitfalls then you did right to put the phone down. It's your layout, it only has to satisfy you. Apart from the basics of gauge and electrical supply there are no rules !

sparkhill

Postby sparkhill » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:24 am

Wow if a so called Purist saw my layout he would most likely require mouth to mouth but I wouldn't be giving to him as being so pure he might like a great send off, we are supposed to enjoy this wonderful hobby so who really cares what other think or say.
Regards
Nobby

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:30 am

IAN1955 wrote:...he went on and on and on... I terminated the call...

You got off lightly there! I 'acquired' a brother in law equally obsessive about a very different hobby pursuit, and unfortunately the new couple then moved from a fair distance away - which limited his 'valuable input' - to nearby for work. I so often tried to terminate the calls, but it's more difficult when it's in the family... The marriage fairly predictably swiftly self destructed and he went to Australia, result!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”