Is it ok to mix Era

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Colonelbogie

Is it ok to mix Era

Postby Colonelbogie » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:11 pm

Hi, as the title suggests, is it ok to mix Era on your layout ?
I have a loft layout in progress, baseboards down , accumulating track etc.
But my locos are a mix, it is all diesel no steam.
Class 26 ,35 ,73 , Lima Plymouth shunter and a newly purchased bachmann class 66.
Not a lot of stuff so it will all be on the layout at the same time.
My rolling stock is TTA tankers, cement tankers, mineral wagons,plank wagons,bolster wagons and some blood and custard Mk1 coaches.
I cant afford to buy a rake of 90ton hoppers for the 66 to pull so it will be hauling my older stock for now.
Is this practice frowned upon ??
When I've made some track laying progress i will post some pictures.

glencairn

Re: Is it ok to mix Era

Postby glencairn » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:30 pm

Welcome to the Forum, Colonelbogie.

As to answer your question. Here are the rules.

Rule 1 --- It's your railway.

Run what you want and how you want

Rule 2 --- Follow Rule 1 and enjoy it.

Whatever path you take with rolling stock remember those two rules especially Rule 2.

We all follow them.

Looking forward to seeing photographs.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:09 pm

Some try to keep to even the correct traffic for a period they are modelling.
Simply a matter of choice !!
I run what I want, when I want, and mix GWR wagons from the 1920's with stock
that wasn't manufactured until the late 1950's.

As Glencairn says it's your railway so you set the rules - if there are any !!

Geoff T
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Colonelbogie

Postby Colonelbogie » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:23 pm

Thanks for the replies, its what I was hoping to hear :D

heda

Postby heda » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:43 pm

Just adding my agreement to the above replies. If you are modelling a specific era or location then you may want to run specific trains. If you just want to play trains then run anything that looks right to you, even repaint rolling stock and add your own livery.
As Glencairn says 'enjoy'
Dave

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:03 pm

Here is what I used to do. I would try to run the correct period rolling stock with the correct period loco, but other then that, though I used to try to be a BR blue era modeller, and before that a GWR modeller... I never did get to reach 100% BR or GWR as there were always the odd locos or stock that would find their way into my collection.
Now I am into 7mm narrow gauge, I still have lots of BR blue I need to part with... I could do with being more organized! :)

But it is really up to you. It is your own little railway. Enjoy!

With my 7mm narrow gauge I don't really have too much of an issue as everything is freelance anyway, so jothing is an exact prototype... and even if it was I would convert it or repaint it to my own fictatious livery so it solves the problem, and I have both steam and diesel so this means anywhere between the 1930's to the present day... though I do make a lot of waggons along with a few coaches so maybe up until the very early 1970's? Though I could always argue that it is a freight line that preserved trains also share as this is more then possible in a theoretical way.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:09 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Some try to keep to even the correct traffic for a period they are modelling.
Simply a matter of choice !!
I run what I want, when I want, and mix GWR wagons from the 1920's with stock
that wasn't manufactured until the late 1950's.

As Glencairn says it's your railway so you set the rules - if there are any !!

Geoff T

And there are some that will tell you that you have the wrong cows for the period you are modelling Geoff.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:05 pm

Hi Colonelbogie, what's so nice about railway modelling is it's not all about competition and who's built the biggest, the fastest or who has the most accurate pitch between their carefully counted rivets. We do competitions from time to time, but it's all very relaxed and friendly, it's the only sort of competition I can enter into if I want to keep any friends.
You set your own rules, or guidelines etc. And if you want to change them, whose to argue. Sometimes it's nice to get the whole train with the right stock, other times you want to get the little details right. One little challenge I set myself was to make a model of Furness Railway No20. Just for nostalgia's sake. It was a good first attempt but the on detail that had to be right, the driver had to wear a red neckerchief.
Just keep repeating rules one and two to yourself and enjoy it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

DonB

Postby DonB » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:23 pm

I can't really add much else to what has already been said, but you could say that you run on the IBISI-RAIL principle (I Built It So I'll Run Anything I Like).

Much like my layout, which is modelled as a what-if preserved railway.
I do try and avoid obvious errors though, such as running vacuum-only rolling stock with air braked locos and vice versa.

Welcome to the forum, Colonelbogie. Looking forward to seeing photos.

DonB
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

Kindling

Postby Kindling » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:49 pm

Have a look at "BNR (another way)". GeraldH has one of the most flexible and imaginative and attitudes on here, not to mention that it is a thoroughly entertaining read. As much as I admire the skill of serious modellers, this is my favourite for its style and sheer audacity!

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28854

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:29 pm

As far as I am concerned it's each to his own after all we should all be railway modellers in our own way and respect those that may not agree with us.

Further to glencairn's rules

Here are some more unwritten rules: (tongue in cheek)

It's my layout, I will run what I want. when I want, how I want, and if you don't like it ...tough
    If it looks right, then it is right.
    If you don't like it, don't look.
    I will ask for your opinion if I want it, but I don't.
    If all else fails, there is always a hammer.
    Always have a swear box to hand when working, it's surprising how quickly you can save up for that new loco.
    If it looks right from 10 feet away, then it is. ( For garden railway modellers)

These rules risk justifying bad habits.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:30 am

Of course it is! Do just what you want. This isn’t even a science, let alone an exact one!

It’s a purely personal thing. I don’t mix eras and companies where I can avoid it but I’m comfortable with many other howlers!

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:38 am

Another approach is to scan through time. I start with an all-steam railway, and progress through the seven year transition of withdrawals of both steam locos and older stock, with corresponding introductions of BR diesels and stock, until we reach the point where the process is near complete in 1962. By then it only required fleet strength of the newly introduced Brush type 4 and EE type 5 to finally displace the pacifics. So I stop time when D1500 first rolls onto the scene, and reset the clock back to all steam. There's plenty of anomalies along the way, but hey, I like it!

SRman

Postby SRman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:12 am

The rule is there are no rules about what you want to run on your own railway.

I tend to run different periods at different times, sometimes overlapping the periods. However, in the last couple of years, I have been dabbling with some European stuff, so I am even mixing OO and HO scales together at times.

Just for fun, right now, I have a Christmas train (in July - well almost!) using a mix of European stock from an early era, some decorated with Christmas themes, hauled by a blue 1366 pannier tank!

First and foremost, your model railway should be fun for you. As others have said above, different people have different priorities and tastes. As long as it works the way you want, who is to say it is wrong.

8)

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:40 am

So my era 4 'Somewhere in Yorkshire' layout can be run with the correct stock.But at the moment is home to my GWR stock, supplemented by a cohort of KPEV locomotive stock.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”