where are the members ???????

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bigmet

Re: where are the members ???????

Postby Bigmet » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:47 am

Michaelaface wrote:I did notice a big drop off in activity on here a few years ago, not sure why, I have a few people i made friends with on here on facebook and some I now know in real life, they're still building model railways but say they don't come here anymore, did something happen that I totally missed? or has the emergence of model railway facebook groups taken away some of the traffic from here?...

There's a lot of options now for online communication. Some folks are simply not comfortable on large sites where 'all the world' can fall through the door and does, and once they have found a smaller site (or three) that serve their principal interests go there.

Michaelaface wrote:...rmweb certainly gets a lot of activity, but over there I feel like an outsider looking in at a clique, and my posts get largely ignored...

I have been a regular on RMWeb from its first week of operation. There are many distinct 'groupings', and many more such that have come and gone. I don't look 'everywhere' and make no use of facilities like 'show all new posts since last visit', but simply go to the subject areas that interest me. It's sufficiently large that I haven't spotted you there I am afraid.

I also frequent LNER Encyclopedia Forum - that's my main UK railway interest and a very good site - and ModelRailForum - which I think is the earliest UK model railway forum still running, with a small but select group of contributors. (Still miss the original MREmag hosted by Pat Hammond which was very good indeed, but that was fully edited and the workload became too high to be sustained. He didn't want to allow multiple editors, and in other hands it was subsequently altered losing the forum format.)

I am aware of many others, serving aspects like particular UK companies, traction class enthusiasts, specific scales and gauges, and even a very special one for knownothings and fatheads with powerful 'opinions' that so need to come bursting out, which on my last visit had me laughing so much I cannot tell you...

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Last edited by Michaelaface on Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:23 pm

There are times when I wonder why I spend so much time on here, exactly WHY ??
Certainly in the early days I was a new railway modeller, knew nothing about railways, but needed to
find out the why's and wherefores as I wanted a reasonable standard.
I was already an experienced modeller of scale aircraft. In that 'life' it was always my intention to inform and
bring together like minded modellers, encourage and exhibit models. An experience shared is usually enhancing
to ones enjoyment, particularly of a wide ranging subject.

I recall one ex-member who was unhappy regarding the number of comments his build was getting. Perhaps a sign
of an ego that needed massaging. Yes it is nice to get comments, but as Michaela says sticking in bland comments
simply doesn't seem worth the effort. I judge on something being worthwhile by the number of viewings rather
than posted comments. I'll mention one of the super modellers on here, Jim S-W, his standards are such that I doubt
any of us could give constructive advice, but what a pleasure to see what he achieves. He will also answer questions,
although many of his builds are so well documented and explained even that door is not wide open as it's all there.

I think an interesting aside is that during lock-down we seem to have had a few more members join who are asking
for help and also show us what they're doing.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:27 pm

I'm waiting on resources. :|
Bought one of the Tidy Tracks wheel cleaners yesterday though. :wink:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:37 pm

Last edited by Michaelaface on Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:08 pm

There's an old adage about staying quiet if you can't say something nice. Well I'd replace nice with positive. Constructive criticism should always be welcome, perhaps far more welcome than a pile of "likes" that tell you nothing else. That someone has thought it worth their while to tell me where they disagree or which particular bit of my post they liked, I find far more rewarding than a list of members who've clicked a particular button, after all I only write about what I've been doing in the hope that it may be of interest to others. If someone makes a suggestion of a better way to do it, then thanks I'll take that on board. If my post gets no comments, well I didn't do it to gain recognition or approval. If that's what I wanted my layout would be portable and I'd be offering and hopefully being asked to take it to shows.
Agreed it's a bit quieter on here the last few months, but I think that may well be down to people having far more time at home, getting involved in tasks that they wouldn't otherwise have time for. On a personal level, my wife's work has gone from 75 to 100% on line, so we now take an hour out of every day to walk, as deliberate exercise, not just as and when. Two things I can see staying beyond the end of lockdown, are the dedicate time for exercise and the 100% working on line.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:48 pm

Michaelaface wrote:so I dunno sometimes, just a "well done that looks really good" might actually be a lot more than the throw away comment it might initially seem like

I agree it's nice to get some comments like that even if they seem inane, but it's hard for people to keep saying that to post after post when they don't have anything more interesting to contribute. But given the encouragement simple 'that looks great' comments give, that's why I keep banging on about having a 'reaction' feature like other forums do - then you can very quickly 'like' someone else's post to provide that encouragement (and to prove that someone out there is actually reading your posts!), and only comment when you have something more to say.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:14 pm

There are some interesting comments throughout this thread.

The annoying thing to me is not about my posts, but when someone asks a question they do not acknowledge a reply. Someone can go to great lengths to answer a specific question and the original poster does not reply. It does not happen here much. I find this Forum one of the better ones. On some other sites it is unbelievable the number of people not acknowledging. Strange!

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

captrees

Postby captrees » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:03 am

Yes indeed, some interesting responses.

I am primarily a lurker here. I am learning stuff from you guys, and appreciate it. Maybe I should start a thread on my own build soon, or on another subject. However I am very active on another forum, non railway related, which sees similar fluctuations and is always asking these questions. One point here is people getting lots of views of their posts, but no responses. Some of which may be from lurkers, but it comes as a surprise that non of the usual suspects reply. To this end they have installed a 'Like' and a 'Dislike' button, as per Facebook. Its at least an acknowledgement, and appreciated. The 'dislike' button is superfluous, methinks.

But another recent development that has reduced the number of posts is directly related to COVID. For a while activity showed a strong increase, as people had more time on their hands at home. The current dropping off of posts, by everyone's admission, is a realisation that we are all spending far too much time on our computers.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:02 pm

I am only on a few sites. I recently took the rare plunge by joining an extra site which is RM web. Now that site is very busy BUT it is hard to keep up with. This site is one of my favourites as everyone is out to relax and enjoy.
I have found that sites that allow a little more "Everyday" discussion to be more active then the ones who don't as people feel restricted when they can't express their views though there is then the downside to this that some may realize their differences and there can be conflict... Not easy to get the right stance in this. This site seems to be a nice happy medium.

Now I actually stood back and did not join this site for a few years because of its name as I am not new to the hobby. I assumed that I had to be a new modeller to be allowed to join, but eventually, I couldn't resist... Also I saw some people layouts where it was obvious they were rather tallented and experienced in the hobby and I then took the plunge with the thought that if I was not accepted I can always be asked to leave. I am still here! :D

I am also on Model Railway Forum which was the first site I joined which was about a decade ago, and somehow after a year or two where I had no internet access, I had lost the password. My attempts to log in were unsuccessful because I did not know what my email spam box did, and I assume all my emails about password went in there?
Anyway. Eventually after a few years I was able to find my password (I can't remember) and so I could log in again. I had then joined Model Rail Forum but over time, as later I ended up with tablets rather then a PC, I found that I was not able to download photos and also huge adverts were coming across my screen with tiny little "X"s to cancel them, and 9 times out of 10 I would click on the advert (Which itself took a minte or three to load as our internet here is a bit weak), and when one did manage to clear the advert so I could see the post I wanted to see, only to be met by another advert! It had not had big adverts like this previously. I finally gave up!
It was about that time when I had joined this site.
I also have joined a site specifically for narrow gauge modellers called "NGRM Online". This site is quite active and is great for someone modelling in narrow gauge. One thing I did notice was that members in general have very different viewpoints on the narrow gauge forum compared to the more general forums that I am on in that they are well used to freelancing and bending the rules to make things fit (E.g. if one is using very sharp curves no one says anything... While on a general forum, if one tried it with 00 standard gauge, one may find oneself criticized through suggesting using first radius curves to save space on ones layout... I do see both points of view, but my feeling is that one is already bending the rules to go down to 4th radius... One may as well bend the rules a bit further if that is all the space one has).

I am not on Facebook besides Facebook continually sending me emails about an account I once opened and closed over a decade ago and my niece said that my account had been re-activated but was not used. If this was re-activated Facebook have done this without my permission.
I came off Facebook when a relative was posting obscene photos and they kept coming on my homepage thing, and if I blocked this person there would have been bad feeling within the family, so it was better just to delete my account.

But apart from these few model railway sites and two autism sites (One of which I am on regularly) and one Christian site I joined many years ago... These are the only real sites I am on.

I do tend to be a little blinkered compared to others in this way.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:39 pm

Michaelaface wrote:hmmm I'm actually going to argue against my own point here, because I've been trying to make an effort to contribute more, but sometimes if I post a layout update and no-one comments, sometimes my mind goes to places like 'is this good enough?' or 'is my thread not interesting/entertaining' which is probably more a reflection on my mental health than anything else,

We do appreciate your postings even if we do not always comment. I find I don't look at a thread for a while, and then suddenly I do a bit of catching up and I am "Ooh. Look at that!"
You are tallented!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:41 pm

glencairn wrote:There are some interesting comments throughout this thread.

The annoying thing to me is not about my posts, but when someone asks a question they do not acknowledge a reply. Someone can go to great lengths to answer a specific question and the original poster does not reply. It does not happen here much. I find this Forum one of the better ones. On some other sites it is unbelievable the number of people not acknowledging. Strange!

Glencairn

Ah. Could it be that you have answered every aspect so they don't need to reply? :D

Though I do admit when tired, I may have asked questions on threads and then forgotton I had asked them. :oops:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:06 pm

Bufferstop wrote:There's an old adage about staying quiet if you can't say something nice. Well I'd replace nice with positive. Constructive criticism should always be welcome,

It is often difficult to make constructive criticism without being seen as critical. I tend to think from different angles at times which can either be good or bad according to how my comments have been taken.

The problem is that I don't find it easy to read situations, so I can innocently comment about something small that I feel can be improved on where the individual has taken my comment as destructive rather then constructive.

I have for example, no problem at all with freelance modelling as I would rather see a "Believable scene" rather then an accurate scene but somehow may not quite capture my imagination?
Here is a perfect example. I have no real issues with those little Hornby 4 wheel coaches. My criticism is when they are used without a brakevan somewhere in the formation, so they comply with working railway regulations and it is a bit of a shame Hornby never made a 4 wheel brake coach version to go with them. I would rather see these going round first radius curves then long modern bogie coaches with huge overhang and underhang going round larger radius curves, as to me, the overall effect stands out as less believeable then a scene with freelance 4 wheel coaches. The Hornby 4 wheel coaches only stand out as being unrealistic because one has been told that they are of a freelance design. If one did not know this, the scene would look quite realistic if modelled with a consistent approach.

It makes one realize what modelling is all about, as to me it is capturing the "Scene" of the real thing and modelling it in a minature form. One is not aiming for scaled down accuracy but one wants to reflect the general scene. To some they may well have bought highly accurage models with highly accurate factory made buildings, but unless they can be made to look convincing in their setting, they will miss that little something which makes a layout a railway. If one can capture both accuracy AND make the scene look convincing one is a genius and I do sometimes see layouts of that calibre...

My modelling philosophy is though, that one does not have to go to such great lengths to make ones layout look convincing if one has a consistent approach. Consistency can cover a multitude of modelling sins!

Chops

Postby Chops » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:59 pm

I flip back and forth between my American layout- crafted largely out of discards and second hand stuff,
and my dearly beloved 4 x 8 “Henley,” each bit of which costs as much as kidney and takes 6 weeks by
fast boat from the UK. Past few months I’ve spent my few spare hours fiddling on the American stuff, but am quite
desiring to return to Henley and finish this canal scene that threatens to best me.

I post American things In another Forum as they have an “HO & International” thread, and I would feel remiss posting anything
other than British, herein. None the less, were the house to catch fire and there was time only to save either the British
or the American, I would take the British; it’s much more interesting and tends to run more reliably than my American
discards. That and British history is so extensive that I generally find it so much more interesting. Presently, I am trying
to make some sense of the Iron Age and the succeeding Roman Invasion. Wish me luck. It has given me fits.

So, that’s my excuse. :)

I had travel plans to visit starting with Historic York, and perhaps settling in a B&B in Cornwall to ponder the sea, but the
Virus nicked all that. Perhaps next year?

Sometimes I contemplate digging out my Canadian birth certificate and using that as a segue into residing in the UK. There is so much
I want to see from the Hebrides to Wales to London, all of it. I would trade a day in Devonshire for a week in Las Vegas.
Nessie rocks!

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:40 pm

Mountain wrote:
glencairn wrote:There are some interesting comments throughout this thread.

Glencairn

Ah. Could it be that you have answered every aspect so they don't need to reply? :D

Having solved their question for them, surely a simple thank you would not go amiss?

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”