Garden Railway!

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
glencairn

Garden Railway!

Postby glencairn » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:04 pm

I was showing Lady Glencairn a film of a garden railway that was on YouTube.

She says "Why don't you have a layout in the garden?" :?

As I have mentioned on more than one occasion and been refused.------------------- :shock:

I am saying no more. The green light has been given. :lol:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Bigmet

Re: Garden Railway!

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:28 pm

Go for it!

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:13 pm

So what's the general plan? 00 gauge or something larger scale? How big's the garden?
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:51 pm

No plan as yet, pete12345. Still getting over the shock. :)

I have not been given much of the garden, just a straight 16ft length and a few inches wide. Hey! It's a start. :D 'From little acorns'.
I think it will be a mini, mini version of an old model railway I saw over fifty years ago. -- Sundown and Sprawling. (The indoor section.) It will not be sprawling much though. :lol:

Glencairn

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:58 am

That's quite enough to start learning on. Just make the 'formation' wide enough to take double track, eh?

There is always something to learn. I came to my present home all set to use the good sized garden, having been outdoors at the previous home. But not possible in OO, the woodland wildlife came and attacked it, regularly! I suspect gauge 1 would be required for enough physical strength to resist the destructive attentions, so indoor it is.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:40 pm

Go on Glencairn, ask for something else you've not been allowed before! You're on a roll :lol:

If you go for a large scale, how about narrow gauge - it's great fun :D

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:17 am

You can get radio-controlled live steam (butane burning) 16mm to the foot narrow gauge models that run on either 32mm or 45mm track. (SM32 and SM45 I think are the proper terms.) Some of the locos can be adjusted to work on either gauge. The locos can be quite dear though, but I wouldn't suppose that you would need many to start. There is a company in Doncaster called "Roundhouse Engineering" or something, that has a good reputation, I understand. I have seen a 16mm live steam indoor layout at one of the model railway shows, and was impressed. The people running it usually run trains in the garden; the indoor layout was just for shows.

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:57 am

Could you negotiate a small shed to hold controllers, spare stock and other bits in the dry? A hole in the wall can allow trains to pass, and the shed then becomes an extension to the outdoor section. Most garden lines run as continuois loops but no overwhelming reason you couldn't do an end-to-end terminus-to-shed design.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:38 am

Thanks for your input and wonderful suggestions, everyone.

A few years back I had a layout in the loft of the house. Due to health reasons that had to be shelved. Looking around the house and garden, Lady Glencairn and I came up with the suggestion of a small building in the garden. Looking at different buildings none were suitable for one or more reason. Whilst looking I would tease Lady G about extending around the garden etc, etc. She became worried that the grandchildren would have no garden to play in when they visit.

Her suggestion was to have one of the spare bedrooms as a 'train room' instead. As the room was bigger than the buildings we looked at, plus electrics and heating etc. already available, it was 'snapped up'. Glencairn Station was built, which has eventually grown to Crown Point Yard and Sovereign Street. A layout I and my grandchildren love to operate.

Last Tuesday (2nd June) whilst I was attending to the roses in the garden Lady G says "You should have a layout in the garden. Just along there," pointing to a section of garden. To say I was gobsmacked and stunned is an understatement.

What will it be like? What gauge? All my locomotives (nearly 100) are 00 gauge. A simple end to end layout could be built 'quickly'.
Maybe. Maybe, Lady G has other ideas. :) After all it is her suggestion. :lol:

Glencairn

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:21 am

Can you get enough space for a balloon loop at each end? Then you could continious run up and down a double track mainline. No one likes corners in gardens anyway...

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:44 am

Hymirl wrote:Can you get enough space for a balloon loop at each end? Then you could continious run up and down a double track mainline. No one likes corners in gardens anyway...

No proper plan as yet, Hymirl. The weather has done nothing but pour down since it was mentioned. Whatever the plan will be it will be built. :)

Glencairn

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”