Hornby Maunsell coaches.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
trerod

Hornby Maunsell coaches.

Postby trerod » Wed May 27, 2020 8:55 am

Hi, could a member tell me how to remove the body shell from the Chassis of a Hornby
Maunsell coach please.

Bigmet

Re: Hornby Maunsell coaches.

Postby Bigmet » Wed May 27, 2020 9:27 am

Like every newly tooled coach in the last 20 years, the body will clip onto the underframe. The basic technique is to ease the coloured body side away from the underframe, trying to identify where the clips are - usually three or four along the length of the coach side - inserting slips of card to prevent them re-engaging. Gently does it, I find a scalpel blade good, working in a bright light so you can see where it is going! The plastic is plenty elastic enough for this treatment. There have been some coaches where screws visible on the underside fixing the interior to the underframe can usefully be slackened or removed, but I haven't seen this in Hornby coaches I own.

Now wait for more specific advice from a Maunsell coach owner.

Hint for reassembly:

Make small register marks that will be out of sight once reassembled, to ensure underframe, interior and body shell all go back together the way they were originally aligned. Possibly just me, but I have found it surprisingly easy to get this wrong.

RFS

Postby RFS » Wed May 27, 2020 11:55 am

There are 4 tabs at each corner. You need to carefully push these in with a small screwdriver. I've not opened one myself but if they're the same as the 2-BIL coaches then there's a tab in the centre as well. Best to slide a piece of plastic between the coach sides before pushing the tabs in.
Robert Smith

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed May 27, 2020 12:13 pm

RFS wrote:There are 4 tabs at each corner. You need to carefully push these in with a small screwdriver. I've not opened one myself but if they're the same as the 2-BIL coaches then there's a tab in the centre as well. Best to slide a piece of plastic between the coach sides before pushing the tabs in.

Would those tabs be clear plastic, moulded as part of the glazing insert?

RFS

Postby RFS » Wed May 27, 2020 12:35 pm

On the 2-BILs they're clear plastic and part of the glazing. But just looked at a Maunsell coach and they're black so not sure what they're attached to. So have a look yourself - they're fairly obvious - but do proceed with caution!
Robert Smith

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed May 27, 2020 2:13 pm

That's worth knowing about as a possible variation in Hornby's construction. (I don't have any Maunsell coaches to look at.)

Anyhoo, over to 'trerod' who posed the original question of how to open them up...

Postby 4472 » Wed May 27, 2020 4:17 pm

I have a couple of Hornby coaches, 1 Pullman 1 dark green which both have screws which go from the underframe through plastic pillars to the roof. I unscrewed them but could not separate the coach body. Any ideas on these?
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu May 28, 2020 9:24 am

4472 wrote:I have a couple of Hornby coaches, 1 Pullman 1 dark green which both have screws which go from the underframe through plastic pillars to the roof. I unscrewed them but could not separate the coach body.

That's Margate Triang to Hornby period construction. Typically the roof is also clipped in by lugs both ends, into locating slots visible within the gangways . Can be very tight, and I have seen plenty of examples where an owner has added paint, and that's gumming everything together, and sometimes polystyrene cement to fix damage or correct a little warping.

Take them out in the sunlight and have a good look all around, good lighting makes a huge difference in what you can see.

Postby 4472 » Thu May 28, 2020 10:34 pm

Thanks for the advice, removed roofs and then the rest of the body followed. Just got to install a few fare paying passengers !!
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”