Backscene

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
IAN1955

Backscene

Postby IAN1955 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:38 pm

Hi all,
I have a dilemma, I am about to fit a back scene to my layout prior to putting on the base board top, I have found a ID sunset back scene form Art - printers Ltd code 504 A.

What I am struggling with is how to merge another scene into the sunset, the scenes are 3M long and my layout is as follows.
4.46 M Long - with a leg coming off on the left 2.440 M and another right hand leg 1.80 M.

Help appreciated THANKS

Bufferstop

Re: Backscene

Postby Bufferstop » Sun May 24, 2020 4:41 pm

I can't find 504A on line. It needs to be colour matched to any others you use, not just in the printing but in the time of day that the image portrays. Sunset has it's own "colour temperature" and anything you try to match to it must have a similar temperature to look right. Making the joins between sections which don't necessarily flow from one to another needs something in the foreground which limits your ability to see the join, tall buildings, trees etc. Don't be tempted to take the backscene around a sharp corner, it doesn't work, unless you have the space to take it round in a large radius arc, otherwise treat the corners as joins and put something in front of them. Try not to have roads paths etc running into the backscene, not only do you have to match the colours, you have to match up the angles, and they only look right from one viewpoint, so you have to try to lead the viewer into looking at it from the chosen spot. One trick that works well is to have a road running off scene going over a hump-backed bridge which hides the descent on the other side, and any misalignment that it may involve.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

IAN1955

Postby IAN1955 » Sun May 24, 2020 4:46 pm

I have downloaded the back scene from Art printers, it comes in two parts both 1500 mm each
Attachments
SUNSET TOP.jpg
SUNSET BOTTOM.jpg

IAN1955

Postby IAN1955 » Sun May 24, 2020 6:59 pm

Posted a photo of the base, the plywood is for the back scene, do not know if I can get the sunset to work with other sky/clouds, again suggestions would be appreciated.

IAN1955

Postby IAN1955 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:11 pm

Sorry for some reason I cannot up load photo

IAN1955

Postby IAN1955 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:20 pm

At last managed to up load photo, this is still work in progress
Attachments
BACKSCENE.JPG

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun May 24, 2020 11:40 pm

I hate to pour cold water on an idea, but I think you will struggle to get a convincing extension to either side of the sunset scene. Ideally with the sunset central on the long back wall the two sides would have to be becoming darker. Most backscenes have a neutral brightness which doesn't define the direction from which the light is coming. It avoids problems with shadows, or lack of them. The sunset scene would be more appropriate in a large diorama, set close to eye level with a picture frame front to confine the viewing angles, allow lighting levels to be controlled, and trains and buildings to be appropriately illuminated. It could look quite dramatic but I think the fact that you are asking for ideas on how to do it says that it will be difficult to "pull it off"
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

IAN1955

Postby IAN1955 » Mon May 25, 2020 8:56 am

Thanks Bufferstop, that is what I thought but I was hoping there was a way which I could achieve it, this is one of the reasons why I joined the forum to get good advice from people like you, so thanks for the info.

Back to the drawing board

alan_r

Postby alan_r » Mon May 25, 2020 10:34 am

If I understand you correctly, these two backscene sheets join to each other, but you want two new smaller ones to extend either side to fit your wider model?
As the focus will be the centre of the layout, will you really notice the two sides so much? They are also at 90degrees to your centre section looking at your layout photo - how about two plain navy blue sheets, and streak some dilute lighter blue and pink at the appropriate heights, slowly blending to navy? If the sun is setting in the west, then the sky will be getting dark behind the viewer, looking to the east, and your two layout side extensions will be looking north and south, so will be more 'peripheral vision'.
Could this be the get-out you are looking for? :D

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”