Temperature Controlled Soldering Station

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bufferstop

Temperature Controlled Soldering Station

Postby Bufferstop » Sun May 17, 2020 6:24 pm

Anyone got recommendations for one of these, I want one that has parts available. My no name job has a crack in the ring that holds all the gubbins inside the handle. Can't even find a replacement iron that's compatible with the controller. I've filled the threads with Araldite and re assembled it, so it's a one time fix if it holds together.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

21C1

Re: Temperature Controlled Soldering Station

Postby 21C1 » Sun May 17, 2020 6:37 pm

It all depends how much you want to spend. I would recommend one with temperature readout if you haven't got that already. CPC Farnell have a number of different ones £50 upwards.
This one from Amazon looks good, temperature readout, easily replaced bits https://www.amazon.co.uk/Preciva-Solder ... B003DH5N2M .
I would suggest at least 48w but you haven't said what you use it for. The larger wattage the less the temperature will drop when you use it.

Tony

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sun May 17, 2020 10:56 pm

Bufferstop wrote:I've filled the threads with Araldite and re assembled it, so it's a one time fix if it holds together.

plumbers tape is heat resistant up to about 260C.

What brand is it? Someone might have some spares bits lying around.
Regards
Rob

Chuffed

Postby Chuffed » Thu May 21, 2020 12:15 am

Recently bought a cheap one from Toostation, not sure is parts are available but for the price I'd just get another :wink:

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri May 22, 2020 11:14 am

Wonderful what you can discover on line. I managed to track down my "no name job" and discovered it's a generic type as used in the factories (sweat shops) of the far east. Not only that replacement irons are available and by taking a look inside the box you can discover which of the numerous outlets made it. It is in fact a 937D made by YiHUA and the iron is a 907D, which most of the reviewers and teardown sites rate as good. So for less than the price of some replacement bits, I have on order not only a replacement iron, but also a highly recommended calibration thermocouple thermometer.

jameslandry

Postby jameslandry » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:51 pm

The Merece 65-watts soldering station kit is fairly simple to use; that’s why it may be the best fit for starters who want a back-to-basics soldering station. In truth, I only need to plug it into the outlet, turn the switch on, set my desired temperature, and lock it. It also has an LED temperature display with interchangeable Celsius and Fahrenheit units, allowing for precise work temperature settings.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:19 am

I have had one of these for over ten years and use it at least three times a week and so far its performed faultlessly.
Mine was sold by Maplin under another brand name, but its the same unit. Highly recommend. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255076814463?hash=item3b63c34e7f:g:YiIAAOSwf61hDFgq Also sold by Rapid for more at £72.16!! link to Rapid
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

boxbrownie

Postby boxbrownie » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:19 pm

Flashbang wrote:I have had one of these for over ten years and use it at least three times a week and so far its performed faultlessly.
Mine was sold by Maplin under another brand name, but its the same unit. Highly recommend. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255076814463?hash=item3b63c34e7f:g:YiIAAOSwf61hDFgq Also sold by Rapid for more at £72.16!! link to Rapid

That’s the one I use, it’s been going strong for at least ten years…..pretty sure I bought it in Maplin but not Maplin badged it has another name.
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:08 pm

boxbrownie wrote:
Flashbang wrote:I have had one of these for over ten years and use it at least three times a week and so far its performed faultlessly.

That’s the one I use, it’s been going strong for at least ten years…..pretty sure I bought it in Maplin but not Maplin badged it has another name.

Precision Gold A55KJ :D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:19 pm

Thanks all, The one I ordered on Ebay turned up along with the calibration kit and has been doing quite nicely, the calibration kit is pretty nifty as well. I've been slowly working through the huge box of stuff we cleared out of my stepson's "Park Home" and it included an identical iron minus plug and temperature controller. So having proved it works it's gone in the "should come in" crate.
I also found a real live genuine Dremel. I've given it a whirl, it's got plenty of torque but It's heavier and bulkier than my Proxxon and lacks the finesse of the German product, still very useful to have, I've got no excuse now for abusing the Proxxon. The bottom of the box had what I thought looked like an air filled cushion, it was air filled but a poly bag full of ~150 throwaway pipettes, still doesn't compensate for the loss of our modern day Walter Mitty.

boxbrownie

Postby boxbrownie » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:00 pm

Flashbang wrote:
boxbrownie wrote:

Precision Gold A55KJ :D

Ok you! Stopping peeping through my modelling room window….. :D
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.

jameslandry

Postby jameslandry » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:50 pm

The Weller WLC100 is one of my favorite soldering stations for light soldering work. The variable temperature knob is very helpful for getting accurate settings. Using temperature control, I can set working temperatures of up to 900 degrees Fahrenheit. It allows for wide-range precision control for optimal heating when using flux core or lead-free solder.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”