Covid Rip Off or Bargains

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
IAN1955

Covid Rip Off or Bargains

Postby IAN1955 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:16 pm

Just a small rant - How many of you have seen on the internet people selling their model railway surpluses or sets due to the Covid Virus, sadly trying to raise cash because of no work, this is very, very sad indeed to have to resort to this.

Looking on the dreaded E Bay, I have noticed that some people are asking stupid prices for in my opinion JUNK, I know in difficult times the bandits and robbers come out of the woodwork, we can never stop it but £95 for some used bags Woodland scenic scatter, this normally would go for £45 ish and that is one example I am sure you folks would have seen other examples.

Is there no honour any more - I know the answer to that question.

Rant Over :x

mahoganydog

Re: Covid Rip Off or Bargains

Postby mahoganydog » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:00 pm

I'm seeing a few listings like that. No matter what I'm NOT going to pay more than retail for something that is used/part used.

My advice to anyone is simply to wait and the supply will return to normal.
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:01 pm

I'm a moderator on a facebook selling page, specifically Hornby and related items, and since this lockdown started we've had well over 100 new members, probably nearer 200. And I'm approving about 3 times more posts a day than usual. I get to see all the prices people put before the advert gets put up, and I do smile at some of them, but they're breaking no rules, and no one is forced to buy it. The main thing people seem to over value is track. Endless amounts of 2nd hand track, as a 'bulk buy' with a price tag of almost the same as new track from a shop.

However, there are some bargains that people just want shot of, and a lot of the new members, seem to be selling off collections amassed as children, and now rediscovered in the attic or garage etc. Not allowed out, everyones having a good clearout. In all it's a friendly group with people getting realistic valuations, and no one seeming to be there to rip anyone off.

sparkhill

Postby sparkhill » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:30 pm

Regarding model railways I cant say the same probably because we pay to much for it without the virus, what I will say though is our local Foodworks store has doubled the price of toilet paper and quadrupled the cost of a packet of noodles, I did intend to shop there because its local but because of the prices they are charging they can shove it.
Regards
Nobby

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:33 pm

I am finding a few model shops that are offering free postage at the moment for lower order prices.
Scograil is one with free delivery over £30
https://www.scograil.co.uk/
And derails for ALL orders whatever the order total.
https://www.derails.co.uk/
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:32 am

Sadly it's a fact of life that there'll always be ratbags that crawl out from under rocks when things happen. One bit of good news that you've probably all heard about was one of the ratbags in South Australia that had bought thousands of toilet rolls and heaps of hand sanitizer tried to sell them to a store. The manager told him in no uncertain terms to bugger off. :lol: Even ebay took down his ad to sell them. :lol: :lol:
Pete.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:34 am

Makes me laugh the prices some people and shops ask for Lima locos especially. What makes me laugh even more is when people pay the silly prices asked for them. Lima are fine, but only at cheap prices!

Phat Controller

Postby Phat Controller » Fri May 01, 2020 12:29 pm

D605Eagle wrote:Makes me laugh the prices some people and shops ask for Lima locos especially. What makes me laugh even more is when people pay the silly prices asked for them. Lima are fine, but only at cheap prices!

As a modeller with a mixture of Hornby, Bachmann, Heljan, and Lima loco's, I tend to agree with you regarding pricing. Some sellers are asking crazy stupid prices for Lima Loco's. Like you say Lima Loco's are fine for most of us, but they don't have the "high grade" mechanic's of the Bachmann and Heljan range. It's like anything research your product before buying.

I only have 12 Lima loco's now (sold 3 already) but I find in some cases (despite their reputation) they have better detailing and mechanics than others. My example would be the Class 31, which has been made by Airfix, Lima and Hornby. The Latter having problems with Mazak metal degradation - swelling and total destruction of the metal chassis.
The only reasonable model for a Class 31 would be the Lima, as it doesn't have the metal chassis' and has an acceptable molded body (unlike the Airfix).

I have 4 of these Class 31's in various Liveries and variants (ie skinheads and toffee apples) that are not available in other makes (ie Bachmann & Hornby)

These variants (skinheads etc) are getting fairly few and far between, so I can see the prices going up for the few that are released onto the 2nd hand market - especially here in the Southern Hemisphere where we are over run by the modern local and American loco's!
research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Fri May 01, 2020 1:42 pm

I do have to say despite lacking the level of detail and even a cab interior, the Lima 31 is a much better shape than the hornby offering, it just looks more convincing. One thing I do enjoy is bringing Lima locos up to a higher standard of detail, and refining their mechanisms to make them smoother and quieter, but that's another subject. :wink:

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri May 01, 2020 1:58 pm

I'm starting to get real sick of this pandemic and people using it as a U.S.P. (unique selling point) to sell thier products.
Even Hornby's now got involved and tied it up in a nice neat package using someone else's name on the loco who won't get paid for it.

They can't even make up their mind how much is going to charity and how many will be made with one statement saying -
"Only 500 of these limited edition models are to be produced and sold exclusively via the Hornby website. The sale of these models will result in £20,000 being donated to the NHS!

And another saying - "Only 2500 of these limited edition models are to be produced and sold exclusively via the Hornby website. The sale of these models will result in £100,000 being donated to the NHS.

Before using a disaster to sell your goods check what your stating Hornby. You can even get your press releases correct.
This is why you don't get my money Hornby!

I've always supported and been proud of OUR NHS (we pay for it) but I'm not going to buy something just because someone tags it onto something for sale nor am I going to stand there clapping like a performing seal just because someone told me to do it.

Long live the NHS. Death to all the products who have used this pandemic to boost sales. :evil:
Rant over.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Fri May 01, 2020 2:13 pm

End2end wrote:I'm starting to get real sick of this pandemic and people using it as a U.S.P. (unique selling point) to sell thier products.
Even Hornby's now got involved and tied it up in a nice neat package using someone else's name on the loco who won't get paid for it.

They can't even make up their mind how much is going to charity and how many will be made with one statement saying -
"Only 500 of these limited edition models are to be produced and sold exclusively via the Hornby website. The sale of these models will result in £20,000 being donated to the NHS!

And another saying - "Only 2500 of these limited edition models are to be produced and sold exclusively via the Hornby website. The sale of these models will result in £100,000 being donated to the NHS.

Before using a disaster to sell your goods check what your stating Hornby. You can even get your press releases correct.
This is why you don't get my money Hornby!

I've always supported and been proud of OUR NHS (we pay for it) but I'm not going to buy something just because someone tags it onto something for sale nor am I going to stand there clapping like a performing seal just because someone told me to do it.

Long live the NHS. Death to all the products who have used this pandemic to boost sales. :evil:
Rant over.
Thanks
End2end

I have to disagree with this. The pricing is clear and the demand is also clear. 500 models was £20,000 to NHS, sold out almost instantly, so increased to 1000 models and £40,000 for the NHS, and finally this morning it’s now 2020 models and £80,000 donation, yes being pedantic it should really be £80,800, but it’s still £80,000 more than they’d otherwise get. People get a loco they obviously want, and Hornby get some publicity and hopefully a chance to keep the company alive.
The amount released for sale was purely due to high demand. The website still wasn’t working properly at midnight last night, and kept me in a loop of basket - checkout - basket - checkout.

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri May 01, 2020 2:16 pm

So their technology is flawed too? Hornby. It doesn't surprise me.
Don't get me wrong. It's definitely NOT the only company doing it. They don't get my money either.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Ken Shabby

Postby Ken Shabby » Mon May 04, 2020 1:54 pm

The prices of 2nd hand locos has risen sharply over the last few years. Back in 2014 I bought my son his first loco, which was a bog standard blue Hornby class 37 from the early 80's. It cost £15. Back then there were loads of Hornby classes 25.29.47 plus Lima class 33, Warships, Westerns and Deltics , Airfix class 31 on there for under £20 by it now.
I've just had a look at completed listings on ebay and a Rail Blue Hornby 37 now sells for around £30-40 . £15 will probably get you a decent body shell.
The cheapest 2nd hand locos you can find these days seem to be the old Triang Jinty , I recently bought 2 for £11 each. Even tired looking Hornby J83 tanks with all their many faults now go for over £20.

Ken

Phat Controller

Postby Phat Controller » Mon May 04, 2020 2:52 pm

I've just had a look at completed listings on ebay and a Rail Blue Hornby 37 now sells for around £30-40 . £15 will probably get you a decent body shell.

Ken

I would love to grab a bargain like that! £30-40 for a 2nd hand loco is great!! its the postage that gets me!! £30-40 (and upwards) postage to Australia is the going rate! Ebay UK insisting you use 3rd party shipping!! what a rort! Sellers I use post for under £6.00 (yes GBP!) but items are few and far between. Postage rates I see going up - some charging AUD$87.00 to ship top OZ!! no wonder we get so cranky here someone needs to set up a fair postage rate so us cashed up Aussies can keep the UK flag flying down here!

rant over - I'm taking my pills :?
research = asking a bloke who knows a bloke who said something vaguely similar to what I wanted to hear! - Tony (aka the Phat Controller)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon May 04, 2020 9:01 pm

I have not really been keeping up with prices, but I was rece tly shocked to see the prices of new trainsets. I happened to be looking at Amazon and I thought for fun to type in "Hornby" and those little trainsets with an 0-4-0 and five or so wagons with an oval of track with a siding was around £160 to £170? I wasn't paying attention in regards to the exact price as I was looking for mini lathe turning tools. I did a quick look at the little Hornby 0-4-0's and they were all £35 and above.
Now are the high prices reflecting the economic recession or are they reflecting the struggling model railway manufacturers or both?
I do think that those who want to get the items they need that now is probably the best time to try and get them because I am not sure if in future years things will stay the same? While it is silly to jump in and buy things at stupid prices, but I feel it is a good idea to plan ahead.
For those who don't have the cash, there are ways... I changed to 7mm narrow gauge for this very reason, so I can keep modelling regardless of what happens to my own finances or the availability of models (If prices are out of reach they are not available).
Whatever happens, we can't change anything, but we can change the way we think about the hobby. Hopefully we will see normality return, but if it does not, we are an inventive people so there is always a way.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”