Oxford Rail - Adams Radial.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
trerod

Oxford Rail - Adams Radial.

Postby trerod » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:18 pm

Hi, firstly i am a new member so this topic may well have been discussed before .
I am very keen to purchase the Adams Radial manufactured by Oxford Rail but i have
read bad reviews about this model.The two main problems are a failure to run on the slightest
of inclines, the two driving wheels lift from the track. The second problem being "Motor burn out".
after short operating sessions.Could a member tell me if Oxford have modified the loco to eliminate
these two problems! Thanks for any help on this subject.

End2end

Re: Oxford Rail - Adams Radial.

Postby End2end » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:26 pm

Firstly welcome to the forum trerod. :)
Secondly it's not a loco I know but a quick search of the forum brings up quite a few posts.
search.php?keywords=Adams+Radial
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:11 pm

I have had one to improve and decoder fit for a friend. It's a decent model mechanically, but can use a little work on some aspects.

What was good about the mechanism: motor and gear ratio choice, weight of model and pick up. (I didn't see any reason for the motor to be vulnerable to failure, any more than the general run of current model railway motors. Some will burn out, especially if not carefully handled and the mechanism is jammed or very tight: these just have to be returned to the retailer for replacement.)

Where it needed improvement: adjustment to springing of carrying wheels so that it would pull well and not slip on gradient transitions.

If all the carrying wheels are temporarily removed and a test run performed, it is immediately obvious that the drive unit has more than enough traction for 2 bogie coaches, which is what this flyweight would normally manage in reality.

So reducing the spring pressure on both the bogie and rear truck is the cure for the loco's drivers being somewhat lifted off the rails. (This is a common problem for small locos with carrying wheels both ends.) I cut down the springs until I had the right compromise between track holding and good traction. If you haven't done it before, then it's trial and error time, it cannot really be taught at a distance.

Have Oxford Rail changed the mechanism design? I don't believe so, expect to have to adjust it if you buy one. (There's the Hornby model as an alternative, never had an example to look at.)

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:20 pm

Regarding the Oxford rail version, it seems fitting it with a DCC chip is problematic due to a lack of space inside the loco.

The Hornby version, there are some models that have been wired up incorrectly on the DCC socket, the loco will work fine on DC control, but due to the faulty wiring it will kill a DCC decoder chip unless the wiring fault is corrected. I don't know exactly how many models this applies to, but it was enough to put me off buying one!
My layout, only look if you are interested:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48422

Latest Video Link:

https://youtu.be/g5ytOK5FCZc

SRman

Postby SRman » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:54 am

There was one minor change between the first release and all subsequent releases of the Adams radiak, and that was to the fron bogie coupling pocket and the clearance above it. This was part of the cause of the probem with gradien transitions on the first model. Later ones are better and only suffer on more severe (sudden!) changes of gradient.

Mine was the second BR release and does not get much running so I can't rport on longevity of the mechanism, bit I can say it is quiet and smooth and more than powerful enough to haul four coaches on the level. That's more than the real ones would be asked to pull.

PanzerJohn

Postby PanzerJohn » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:04 am

I've got two Radials sitting here which are now expensive paperweights, duff motors and Oxford don't have spares. After the hassles with a previous Oxford Dean Goods which took two replacements to get a good one, I won't be buying anymore Oxford loco's.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:34 am

markS&D wrote:Regarding the Oxford rail version, it seems fitting it with a DCC chip is problematic due to a lack of space inside the loco...
A small decoder - we used a Zimo, cannot remember which as my friend had selected it! - went in easily into the smokebox. It was hardwired as I had mucked about with the internal layout to put the motor out of sight, a very easy operation BTW.

PanzerJohn wrote:I've got two Radials sitting here which are now expensive paperweights, duff motors and Oxford don't have spares. After the hassles with a previous Oxford Dean Goods which took two replacements to get a good one, I won't be buying anymore Oxford loco's.

That's a shame on two counts.

First that Oxford underperformed to that extent. I rather feel that when they started they hadn't grasped just how big a step up it is from diecast road vehicle models which don't have to work as such, to fully compatible models that deliver reliable running on anyone's layout for years to come.

Secondly, that after two attempts, when they got to an important subject :wink: in the N7 0-6-2T they produced something much better. Looks good, has plenty of weight from a 50% diecast body, runs and pulls extremely well. The body assembly is really neat and makes many of the variations in the class relatively easy to achieve which is a neat feature for modellers. Still climbing the learning curve, decoder space is cramped (but useable) and the NEM coupler pocket mounting is clumsy, but for the rest, competent job and I am very pleased with it. (I don't see the complaints on line for this model that were very evident with the first two releases, which indicates I am not alone.) This really mattered as the chance of any other maker producing a model of this class is zero, no second chances for this one.

I would hope that Oxford can go on improving from this standard with their next loco, the J26/J27 0-6-0 they have announced. (Quite right not to try the J21 that many would have preferred - a small 0-6-0 and that bit more difficult - is my opinion.)

trerod

Postby trerod » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:00 pm

Hi, firstly many thanks to you all that replied to my OO gauge Oxford rail Adams Radial running problems.
Having checked various You tube posts and what i have read here, i think i will give it a miss.
I did not realise that Hornby also do this particular model, and various reviews would suggest that this is not a lot better performer than the Oxford Rail version ! On a different subject, i ordered the Dapol Terrior 0-6-0 when it was first announced by Rails of Sheffield, that must have been a couple of
years ago, still waiting, any body got any idea when we can expect it?

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:27 am

The Dapol Terrier should be arriving fairly soon as there has been approved painted examples for quite some time now, however with whats going on, that might affect things somewhat. You never can tell with manufacturers anyway, the Hornby class 91 for example, when announced they were making claims it would be ready within months, which turned out to be a lie just to kill off the far more advanced competition from Cavalex.
As with the Addams Radial, it's swings and roundabouts. I have 2 Oxford rail ones and one Hornby one. All three ran pretty much the same, the Oxford one has a more realistic gear ratio. Both suffer from lifting the drive wheels when they experience a sudden change in gradient, but if it's anything like realistic then its doesn't effect them. Second production runs onwards of the Oxford model suffers less with this, so if you were to buy a new one you'd be fine. Hornby one just pips the Oxford rail one with detail and accuracy with the correct airspace under the boiler near the firebox, it's virtually unnoticeable on the BR black one but you can tell if you buy the light green LSWR liveried one. I've not heard of any motor issues with either models on social media modeling pages, unlike some models I could mention!
Hope this helps!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:55 am

trerod wrote:Hi, firstly many thanks to you all that replied to my OO gauge Oxford rail Adams Radial running problems.
Having checked various You tube posts and what i have read here, i think i will give it a miss.
I did not realise that Hornby also do this particular model, and various reviews would suggest that this is not a lot better performer than the Oxford Rail version...

That's very much what I would expect. Small loco, only four driving wheels and carrying wheels both ends: and the front bogie wheels have very little room to rise because in this so typical Victorian design the front footplate is in reality only inches above the flanges of those wheels! It's 'tricky' in short, and to run well the layout needs to be laid with a very smooth rail top profile, with generous smooth transitions if there are to be gradients. (I think both models are quite remarkable for RTR product, anyone who has built a small atlantic tank like this will tell you just how difficult it was, and how carefully the carrying wheels suspension had to be adjusted. Been there, got that sweaty T-shirt on the ex-GNR C12, very similar loco.)

trerod wrote:... On a different subject, i ordered the Dapol Terrior 0-6-0 when it was first announced by Rails of Sheffield, that must have been a couple of years ago, still waiting, anybody got any idea when we can expect it?

Was supposed to arrive about now, on the last schedule update made before the Covid outbreak. Now, anyone's guess, the disruption could have thrown any number of obstacles in its path. Or, it may have been smartly shipped as the factory reopened, and will be on sale in the UK shortly. We simply don't know.

What we do know is that Hornby have a cheaper Terrier on sale, and the most recent releases have been upgraded to correct a couple of small errors seen on the first round of releases. There are no problems with it to speak of, and if I wanted a Terrier that's where it's at! (RoS have to refund any deposit you have paid, failure to fulfil by the delivery date means they are in breach of the original contract.)

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri May 01, 2020 3:01 pm

Bigmet wrote:Was supposed to arrive about now, on the last schedule update made before the Covid outbreak. Now, anyone's guess, the disruption could have thrown any number of obstacles in its path. Or, it may have been smartly shipped as the factory reopened, and will be on sale in the UK shortly. We simply don't know.

And now we do. Dapol have just posted that the first of their OO Terriers will be with them next week, the rest of the first tranche by month end. So they probably got shipped immediately it was possible to get the factory open.

Jkelly

Postby Jkelly » Wed May 06, 2020 8:25 pm

Well just 10 minute ago I recieved my Oxford Rail Adam's radial in southern green, brand new. First impressions were great, beautiful body, great detail and lots of weight due to the abundance of die cast.
Anyway I placed it on the track. My L1 starts crawling, even though I had it parked in a siding. Hmmm that's odd I think. I then smell smoke, turn around and what do you know, my brand new loco had shorted for no reason. I of course immediately took it off the track and have come here in search of advice. It is really frustrating, especially with the pressure that these times bring, to then have something that was supposed to be an exciting occasion turn into a disaster. Really disappointed. At 130 euros, there is no excuse for a poor mechanism.
I bought the loco from my local model shop. I will ring them to see if they can fix it or what the plan is.
Anyway you can add me to the long list of disappointed customers.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed May 06, 2020 9:24 pm

Hopefully the retailer will respect your customer rights and offer the refund or replacement that's probably appropriate.

Something I feel you need to look at on the controller that was being used at the time, is the safety cut out; it should trip before a short circuit starts a loco significantly smoking.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sat May 09, 2020 4:49 pm

Bigmet wrote:
Bigmet wrote:Was supposed to arrive about now, on the last schedule update made before the Covid outbreak. Now, anyone's guess, the disruption could have thrown any number of obstacles in its path. Or, it may have been smartly shipped as the factory reopened, and will be on sale in the UK shortly. We simply don't know.

And now we do. Dapol have just posted that the first of their OO Terriers will be with them next week, the rest of the first tranche by month end. So they probably got shipped immediately it was possible to get the factory open.

Not overly impressed with the Dapol/Rails terriers, the construction the incorrect details... save yourself some money by a Hornby one.
Rails having promised to revise and look at certain areas... coal rails are wrong... the top of the valves are wrong... smokebox door number plate too high, and just the build quality doesn't look fantastic... certainly not the pedigree terrier they promised... Slightly concerned with my D Class order currently.

The Oxford Radial has not been great, remember when I first saw it at the Bluebell, a number of aspects were not right and the guy from Oxford didn't want to listen... and that is where they failed in my view.. when it was released, the bogie coupling got stuck under the buffer beam, then motor issues, and also it got stuck on smallest track dips. To be fair so does Hornby's, But the design is slightly better.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun May 10, 2020 2:15 am

I've got the OR Adams radial and it runs as sweet as anything. It pulls well and has my usual Zimo decoder. Maybe it's the luck of the draw. Having said that, if I had the money for a J72 it'd be a Bachmann.
Pete.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”