Buying railway stuff during Covid-19 - help?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
InFullSteam

Buying railway stuff during Covid-19 - help?

Postby InFullSteam » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:56 pm

Hi everyone,

As with a lot of people in the world, I've been working from home and socially distancing as much as I can. That being said, I have been trying to do model projects where I can but I am finding that I am missing a few things (paint, emery paper, etc). But I feel guilty about ordering such online and having them delivered because this is not an essential good and I should try to do my part in not creating more exposure for everyone else (or at least the store and delivery workers) to this terrible and scary virus.

What do you guys think?

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: Buying railway stuff during Covid-19 - help?

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:00 pm

If an online shop is still open, then I'd go for it. Those people working there are obviously still going in as they've concluded it's low risk, and it probably is. They won't all be sat at home but suddenly leap into action if they see your order come in! :) And posties are still delivering stuff anyway. All the time the government are happy to allow non-essential deliveries to continue (and Michael Gove was on the radio last week specifically to clear this point up) then I see no reason not to.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

heda

Postby heda » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:32 pm

I agree, if the online shop is open then there happy for you to shop. I would have thought as long as the staff take the proper precautions they are at a low risk, no customers coming in.
Royal Mail is operating pretty much as usual so your helping to keep your postie in work by buying online.
Dave

muggins

Postby muggins » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:35 pm

If the delivery services are still working and you decide not to buy your stuff online, the only difference you will make to anything at all is that a model shop somewhere won't be glad of your support.

It would be different if the vans and the posties were only delivering essentials, but I can assure you that's definitely not the case!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:41 pm

If you have a dealer with what you want and they are dispatching go for it. If you can get it from a smaller trader who has what you want and is able dispatch use them and pay their price. ATM they need the trade more than the big boys and we want them to still be trading when this is over. I'm sure many of the small traders who don't usually do mail order will be prepared to post stuff to you, as they will be getting no over the counter sales. The one thing that may be a problem is paint, the post office hold up their hands in horror at the thought of handling such dangerous substances, even if it's only 15ml of water based acrylic.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:01 pm

I haven't stopped shopping. Ebay and track-shack twice this week alone.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:31 pm

It is only the same with hardware stores such as Wickes and B&Q the store is closed to customers, but you can order pretty much everything online and do a click and collect, despite the fact that they say it is essential items only, I managed to buy treated timber for something in the garden, it is not essential, but they still want you to buy the products, much the same as model shops. As has already been said, they want you to buy from them so they don't go out of business.

I have been in isolation for 14 days, I am glad to be able to purchase online, because we couldn't leave the house ☺
My layout, only look if you are interested:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48422

Latest Video Link:

https://youtu.be/g5ytOK5FCZc

Ifor

Postby Ifor » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:36 am

I've been buying rakes of stuff. Not an ounce of guilt about it. I've been isolated for over 22 days.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”