Yes Tor

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
clive61

Yes Tor

Postby clive61 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:52 am

hello to everyone logged in.

Looking through the Hornby 2016 handbook I noticed on page 83 ( for those who got it ) there was a picture of a steam train named
YES TOR, with it being in Hornby`s book I would imagine that it`s a Hornby make ??? I have tried to find out the R number and if it`s
still available to buy but without any luck so far. I have tried getting in touch with Hornby but as yet I`ve not had a reply, does anybody
have any info that will be helpful ?.

Many thanks.

Ex-Pat

Re: Yes Tor

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:20 am

Putting "Hornby 34026 Yes Tor" into Google comes up with R2608 and a few eBay offerings. Good luck!

SRman

Postby SRman » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:40 am

Clive, were you specifically after 'Yes Tor', or were you interested in the general type of locomotive?

I have the model of 'Yes Tor', and wanted that one in particular as the name has a little bit of significance to me. However, even though this model has sold out in most places, there were around 60 of the real locomotives in the form you saw, and Hornby have modelled several of them over the years, both as West Country class and as Battle of Britain class - they are essentially the same but the naming themes differ (albeit with many individual differences within the class).

Hattons have a 'Yes Tor' in their pre-owned department, but it has damaged valve gear.

If it is only the general outline of the loco you are interested in, you could also look at the very similar, but slightly larger, Merchant Navy class. These seem to be more readily available.

WC 34026 Yes Tor on Milk Train - 1 cropped by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:27 am

You could buy any West Country locomotive and buy 'Yes Tor' nameplates etc. to rename it.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

SRman

Postby SRman » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:40 pm

Depending on how accurate you want it to be, it's not quite that simple, glencairn. The West Countries and Battle of Britain locomotives had quite a few combinations of differences over their lives, the most obvious one being the tender varieties. Hornby have made two of the tender types, with different capacities and widths. The combinations were even more difficult to match before these locomotives were rebuilt (Hornby have covered some of those too, with their original form WC/BoB locomotives).

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:11 pm

You've done it now SRman, the subject of tenders for the Bulleid pacifics is a nightmare for modellers, as an example the Rebuilt MN class had several tender types:

5000 gallon cut down.
5100 gallon cut down with full width vacuum cylinder cover.
5100 gallon cut down with narrower vacuum cylinder cover.
6000 gallon cut down tender.
Coal weighing tender on 6000 gallon chassis.
5250 gallon BR Rebodied tender.
Coal Weighing tender Rebodied on 6000 gallon chassis similar to 5250 gallon tender, but 2' 4" longer in body, and 2 rear ladders.

that's just in a class of 30 locos, and they were swapped around :?

That's before we get to the WC, BOB class.
My layout, only look if you are interested:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48422

Latest Video Link:

https://youtu.be/g5ytOK5FCZc

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:12 pm

Just give up and model the Great Western!

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:11 am

Heretic! :lol:

captrees

Postby captrees » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:36 am

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:02 am

Lysander wrote:Just give up and model the Great Western!

Tony

Wash your mouth out with soap, Tony!

:twisted: :twisted: :lol:

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:25 pm

Never! NEVER! [actually, I do have a soft spot for the Southern....].

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

SRman

Postby SRman » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:24 am

Lysander wrote:Never! NEVER! [actually, I do have a soft spot for the Southern....].

Tony

And I have a few Great Western locomotives. :)

Hornchurch

Postby Hornchurch » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:46 pm

glencairn wrote:

You could buy any West Country locomotive and buy 'Yes Tor' nameplates etc. to rename it.

Glencairn
clive61 wrote:

Hello to everyone logged in.

Looking at the Hornby 2016 handbook I noticed on page 83 that there was a picture of a steam train named

YES TOR,

, does anybody have any info that will be helpful ?.

'

No info' that'll be helpful, BUT, when seeing YOUR thread for the first-time tonight, it bought back AWFUL visions.... (& nightmares)

You see, I "was" (past-tense), as a teenager, a HUGE, HUGE fan of the progressive Rock group, called "YES" (can you see where this is headed ?)

FANTASTIC musicians & musicianship, plus some GREAT ALBUMS, until...... oh dear.....

They named their 1978 Album, after the exact same name as your Loco' "YES TOR" after the 2nd highest TOR in Devon,

The resultant album was absolute $h!te, rather like the cover in fact.....
:|

Here's what Wikipedia says.....

"Steve Howe pitched the album's original title of Yes Tor, referring to Yes Tor, the second highest hill on Dartmoor, an area of moorland in Devon, England.[30] Rick Wakeman claimed to have thrown a tomato at the pictures taken for the album as he recalled the band were disappointed with the initial artwork which had cost a lot of money.[8]

"Hey, Rick, You're a GREAT Comedian AND a great-musician, but can you even begin to GRASP how gutted I am, having wasted precious pocket-money on this album ?" (quote by my good-self, retrospectively, in 1978)

Here's the resultant abomination, sorry, album-cover, BELOW
....... which kinda reflects the resultant music, therein......

Thereafter, this POOR Heartbroken Teenager was lumbered/saddled with this dross, in his 'newly-embarrassed' record collection.....

(take pity, Y'all !)

Seeing YOUR thread Clive (before clicking it open), bought-back that "crushing disappointment" from 1978 (as a hitherto, hardcore 'Yes Fan')

I hope at least one of ya gets a 'Lockdown-Laugh' at the bad Juju & memories you've served, by posting this thread

P.S, Please do excuse the rather large gaps, as I'm going blind as a bat..... 'H.C'

R-1515773-1536050770-8392.jpeg.jpg
R-1515773-1536050770-8392.jpeg.jpg (170.24 KiB) Viewed 845 times

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:32 am

Hornchurch wrote:
glencairn wrote:

Glencairn
clive61 wrote:

Hello to everyone logged in.

Looking at the Hornby 2016 handbook I noticed on page 83 that there was a picture of a steam train named

YES TOR,

, does anybody have any info that will be helpful ?.

'

No info' that'll be helpful, BUT, when seeing YOUR thread for the first-time tonight, it bought back AWFUL visions.... (& nightmares)

You see, I "was" (past-tense), as a teenager, a HUGE, HUGE fan of the progressive Rock group, called "YES" (can you see where this is headed ?)

FANTASTIC musicians & musicianship, plus some GREAT ALBUMS, until...... oh dear.....

They named their 1978 Album, after the exact same name as your Loco' "YES TOR" after the 2nd highest TOR in Devon,

The resultant album was absolute $h!te, rather like the cover in fact.....
:|

Here's what Wikipedia says.....

"Steve Howe pitched the album's original title of Yes Tor, referring to Yes Tor, the second highest hill on Dartmoor, an area of moorland in Devon, England.[30] Rick Wakeman claimed to have thrown a tomato at the pictures taken for the album as he recalled the band were disappointed with the initial artwork which had cost a lot of money.[8]

"Hey, Rick, You're a GREAT Comedian AND a great-musician, but can you even begin to GRASP how gutted I am, having wasted precious pocket-money on this album ?" (quote by my good-self, retrospectively, in 1978)

Here's the resultant abomination, sorry, album-cover, BELOW
....... which kinda reflects the resultant music, therein......

Thereafter, this POOR Heartbroken Teenager was lumbered/saddled with this dross, in his 'newly-embarrassed' record collection.....

(take pity, Y'all !)

Seeing YOUR thread Clive (before clicking it open), bought-back that "crushing disappointment" from 1978 (as a hitherto, hardcore 'Yes Fan')

I hope at least one of ya gets a 'Lockdown-Laugh' at the bad Juju & memories you've served, by posting this thread

P.S, Please do excuse the rather large gaps, as I'm going blind as a bat..... 'H.C'

R-1515773-1536050770-8392.jpeg.jpg

I am still a huge Yes fan, and Tormato was one of my reasons for particularly wanting 34026 'Yes Tor' myself, and why I won't part with it. I have seen Yes live on their few Australian tours.

Interesting how model railways can link us to other memories. :)

PanzerJohn

Postby PanzerJohn » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:10 am

Yes were the first band I saw live at QPR in 1975, I've seen them dozens of times since. Tormato wasn't one of their greatest albums, imo Topographic Oceans takes that accolade. I used to have a few beers with Rick back in the 70's, he used to drink (and boy did he) in my local. Great days.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”