Which turntable would you choose for DCC

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
mjb1961

Which turntable would you choose for DCC

Postby mjb1961 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:06 pm

Hi ,,I'm thinking of a new turntable,I don't want the Hornby one again ,I've looked at the peco along with the new peco motor and control ,can I have the bridge connected to dcc and operate the TT via the peco CONTROLER via DC ,or what about a Fleischman ,can this one be converted to DCC ,I know the Heljan TT is DCC ready ,but these two are costly,I would be most grateful for any advice ,yours mjb

Bigmet

Re: Which turntable would you choose for DCC

Postby Bigmet » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:14 pm

The Peco is a plastic kit and has to be carefully constructed to be of any use: it is vital that the TT well is a good approximation to a right cylinder, and it has to be mounted in the baseboard evenly supported to avoid distortion. The TT bridge is fine. No idea of the Peco mechanism quality, (there are alternative high reduction motor and gearbox kits) and if you choose to run the TT motor from DC, and have DCC power on the rails, they are fully isolated from each other thanks to the plastic construction, no problem.

One shortcoming of the Peco turntable is the method of carrying power to the rails. This is a DC era design so there is power interruption to effect polarity change. Over twenty years since DCC started to win general acceptance in the UK and Peco haven't yet realised that continuous power to the rails through a DCC reversing module is the way to handle this; but anyone who knows what they are about can adapt the kit to enable this.

The other major shortcoming is that it isn't an accurate model of a UK TT, scaling well over the 70' maximum of the UK's TT's. A legacy product of the bad old days of 'one size fits all'. Perhaps now that a better OO track is available in the form of their code 75 bullhead, they will bring out a scale 70' unit with code 75 bullhead rail? Perhaps, don't hold your breath...

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:40 pm

What about the (very long in the tooth) Airfix model? No idea what it's based on though.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:57 pm

mahoganydog wrote:What about the (very long in the tooth) Airfix model? No idea what it's based on though.

Its a GWR styled turntable with its over girder design. I have the Peco one powered by a Locomotech motor running off the DCC bus through a decoder - pity you cannot choose address 0 !. Model Rail some years ago (Nov 2012) had a good step by step guide to its construction.

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Bigmet wrote:One shortcoming of the Peco turntable is the method of carrying power to the rails. This is a DC era design so there is power interruption to effect polarity change.

In my experience this didn't matter since the locomotive does not need to move while the turntable is turning. It would only be noticeable because any lights on the loco will flicker and sound might be interrupted.
Regards
Rob

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:51 am

If you want to motorise the Peco turntable, the simplest method is an old DC controller just for the turntable motor, which can be picked up for next to nothing. Otherwise, use a basic loco decoder connected to the track bus and control it as if it were a loco.

I think the best and simplest way to get accurate positioning is with a manual hand crank mechanism, using meccano gears or something similar. You can easily then apply a slight nudge to the table with the crank to get the rails aligned, which is more difficult to do with an electric drive.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:05 am

Thankyou all for your advice,,,mjb

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”