Two questions, Ringfiels motors and traction tyres

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
heda

Two questions, Ringfiels motors and traction tyres

Postby heda » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:48 am

I'm looking at a Railroad 0-6-0 Jinty or similair, not worried about detail as it is for Grandson to play with. In decent condition they seem to be going fir under £30 which suits my walletf I particularly want to go for the newer plastic chassis type, partly for the ease of changing the couplingss but rthere are two things I'm not sure about.
There often described as having a Ringfield motor, I assume with the plastic chassis the motor is a different design than the old pancack type. Looking at service sheets it seems to be an open frame type with the pick ups attached, am I right.
Secondly the service sheets for some show traction tyres,having read about how these leave muck on the track they are a no no for me, so if the train will only be pulling a maximum of say 12 wagons (any more would almost be nose to tail on my layout), would there be sufficient pull without the tyres .
Dave

Bigmet

Re: Two questions, Ringfiels motors and traction tyres

Postby Bigmet » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:42 am

It will do the job without traction tyres. There has never been a 'ringfield' or 'pancake' motor in these Hornby 0-6-0T; all have a conventional motor with a worm drive. There's endless variation in the mechanism design. If you can find an old one with the XO4 motor in good condition, never had or needed traction tyres, that's a real winner.

heda

Postby heda » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:57 am

Thanks Bigmet, good advice as always. It was looking at Hattons the motor is often described as Ringfield, although the service sheets all seem to show conventional motor so both my questions answered.
The main reason I'm looking for the newer plastic chassis is the ease of fitting new couplings. I have managed it on an older cast chassis but it took a lot of effort.
I appreciate the purpose of traction tyres but would a little additional weight serve the same purpose ?
Dave

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:52 am

Weight will do the job, and it scores on two aspects over traction tyres.
Firstly because where the traction tyre insulates a driving wheel from the rail, the addition of weight increases contact pressure for more reliable pick up, and it is the driving wheels that are most effective for pick up.
Secondly, weight doesn't wear, stretch, harden and need replacement, or cause any track dirt. Job done!

heda

Postby heda » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:27 am

Perfect, lead aquarium weight it is and bin the traction tyres.
Thanks Dave

muggins

Postby muggins » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:28 pm

heda wrote:Perfect, lead aquarium weight it is and bin the traction tyres ...

Don't forget the visor, rubber gloves and breathing apparatus before you go anywhere near the stuff. The mere presence of it can apparently send you daft nowadays, even if it doesn't kill you first.

You have been warned

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:39 pm

If the loco is manufactured with Traction tyres fitted then is quite possible the Traction tyres wheel will have a grove cut in it to accept the rubber tyre. In which case its very likely that the tyred wheel without the tyre won't touch the rails?
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:40 pm

That may be the case much of the time on straight track, but you still have the benefits of all the weight on metal tyres, and no muck spreading.

heda

Postby heda » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:44 pm

Muggins to late now, I went daft years ago !
Flashbang, I shall bear that in mind. When I buy I'll remove the tyres if fitted and try running, if necessary add weight and as a last resort replace the grooved wheels..
Dave

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:20 pm

0-6-0 centre wheels have never touched the Rails since they gave up on the steam roller tyres. The very first version was flange less but rested on the rails. They occasionally caught on the edge of the rail head, so they took a half thou off the rims. When they introduced the spoked wheels the centre wheels were given flanges but made significantly smaller diameter.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:29 pm

Bufferstop wrote:0-6-0 centre wheels have never touched the Rails since they gave up on the steam roller tyres. The very first version was flange less but rested on the rails. They occasionally caught on the edge of the rail head, so they took a half thou off the rims. When they introduced the spoked wheels the centre wheels were given flanges but made significantly smaller diameter.

I remember when a model came up for review. (I believe it was a 2-8-0 but if could have been the updated 9F). The magazine criticized the flangeless drive wheels, but then later found out that the prototype had them flangeless too!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”