Selling/Trading in surplus rolling stock with the likes of Hattons and Rails.

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
RailwayRobbo

Selling/Trading in surplus rolling stock with the likes of Hattons and Rails.

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:32 pm

Hi guys.
The transfer of the rolling stock on PETERSDALE from their original boxes to the recently purchased stock boxes continues apace.
Of course this little exercise has led me to the depths of my stock cupboards and unearthed some of my earliest rolling stock used way back on PETERSDALE mark 1. It's mainly Mainline, Airfix and GMR stuff.
I was wondering if any of you guys have had any experience of selling or part exchanging surplus rolling stock with the likes of Hattons and Rails etc? Is it worth the hassle? Did you think you got a fair price?
I already have a £30 voucher for Rails (Xmas present from Daughter) and I'm hanging my nose over the Bachmann green 08 that's been announced. I was wondering if it's worth part exchanging my old Mainline/Airfix/GMR stuff against the purchase of the 08.I know they won't be worth much but they are in good condition and in the original boxes. the majority have got metal wheels and new couplings as well. There's about 30 items that I would like to get rid of in total, mostly wagons with a few carriages.
So if any of you guys have had experience, good or bad would like to hear from you.

Thanks in advance Pete (RailwayRobbo)

I will offer them for sale here first if anyone is interested.

End2end

Re: Selling/Trading in surplus rolling stock with the likes of Hattons and Rails.

Postby End2end » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:44 pm

You'd probably get a lot more selling them singularly on ebay. It's a bit more hassle but you'll definatly get more money for them and could possibly buy the new 08 outright.
I've been selling on ebay for a while and have 958 feedback (mainly model railway items).

OR there's always our great forum. :mrgreen:
Hope it helps
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bigmet

Re: Selling/Trading in surplus rolling stock with the likes of Hattons and Rails.

Postby Bigmet » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:38 pm

End2end wrote:...there's always our great forum...

Definitely. You will most likely get better prices, and can still sell any 'remains' to a retailer.

heda

Postby heda » Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:43 pm

I agree a retailer will give you rock bottom price, after all they are a business and out to make a profit. Offer them on here first, no selling fees, then Ebay.
Dave

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”