Vehicle Scale

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
IAN1955

Vehicle Scale

Postby IAN1955 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:22 pm

Hello and a belated happy new year.
I am trying to build a timber yard but struggling to find a logging lorry with side bars, I have seen many examples but they are all 1/50 scale, is this acceptable on a 00 gauge layout, if not does any member know where I can get one.
Thanks
Ian

End2end

Re: Vehicle Scale

Postby End2end » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:32 pm

1/50 will probably look way off scale.
You may find something from Oxford Commercials range that may fit the bill?
https://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collect ... -76?page=1
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:42 pm

There's no shortage of articulated tractor/trailers in 1/76th, that would provide the start for a conversion!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

SRman

Postby SRman » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:13 pm

Yes, 1/50 is way too big for OO (1/76) scale.

You don't say what time period you are looking at, Ian.

You could also look at the Langley range of white metal kits if you are prepared to kit-build. These are mostly from the 1940s to 1960s. (Corrected! - thanks Richard).

If you are modelling the timber yard in the background, a bit of perspective modelling may be permissible, in which case you could look at some of the European models and kits in 1/87 (HO) scale. While smaller than OO, these are much closer to correct scale than 1/50. Just don't put any true OO scale items too close to the HO scale vehicles. You may also choose 1/87 buildings which means you could fit a little more into a given space for the scene.
Last edited by SRman on Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:31 pm

Theres also EFE - Exclusive First Editions (owned by Bachmann now) - https://www.bachmann.co.uk/exclusive-first-editions/
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:35 am

SRman wrote:You could also look at the Langley range of white metal kits if you are prepared to kit-build. These are mostly from the 1040s to 1960s.

Methinks that I detect a small typo. Must admit that most of the stuff that I have seen on their website is 19th or 20th century. I don't remember anything on it for layouts set in the 11th century. :lol:

SRman

Postby SRman » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:06 am

Thanks Richard ... typo corrected. A small typo made a large difference to the timescale!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

VELOSSEMBLY

Postby VELOSSEMBLY » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:10 pm

You have my sympathy. Why dear departed Mr Odell produced so many "Days Gone" models to a scale that fitted neither '0' nor '00' I'll never understand. You can't give them away on ebay but see the difference if the model is from the 1:76 "Trackside" range. As a SR modeller myself, I spend half my life searching for alternative coach destination decals for my Southdown, GreenLine and East Kent coaches.

Too many buses identified with "EXCURSION" stretches credibility.

BB.

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:15 am

VELOSSEMBLY wrote:You have my sympathy. Why dear departed Mr Odell produced so many "Days Gone" models to a scale that fitted neither '0' nor '00' I'll never understand. You can't give them away on ebay but see the difference if the model is from the 1:76 "Trackside" range. As a SR modeller myself, I spend half my life searching for alternative coach destination decals for my Southdown, GreenLine and East Kent coaches.

Too many buses identified with "EXCURSION" stretches credibility.

BB.

If the destinations are black on white, or white on black, it is very easy to print some up on a computer with only a monochrome printer (e.g. a laser printer). Green Line ones may be printed using bright yellow paper. With a good colour printer, there are many more possibilities.

Postby 4472 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:00 pm

I have printed personalised adverts for the side of buses using an inkjet printer.
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”