Bored With Your Model Railway?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:06 am

Have you considered changing scale, era or even preferred railway company?

How about a totally freelance narrow gauge railway in 009 (H0e) or 0-16.5 (0e/0n30)?

Prefer finescale modelling? Why not give EM gauge a go and try 3 link couplings?

Love the scenic touch? N gauge has a lot to offer.

Something unusual? Broad gauge? Tramway modelling? How about converting those cheap battery trainsets into a modelling project?

Like gardening? How about a garden railway? SM32 ans G scales are in their element, as are 0 and gauge 1 etc. 00 gauge can be used. (Make sure all controllers and mains are kept in a dry shed etc. Be safe. Consult an electrician.).

Why I posted this thread is to inspire you. To spur you on. Sometimes we can end up collecting models where we really need to build a model railway. Haha. I need to work on mine! Sometimes, a change in direction with a fresh start is the key to a successful railway.

Whatever you choose, enjoy. As it is what this hobby is all about.

I made a change to 7mm narrow gauge from 00 as I needed to keep modelling on a low income and I found 7mm narrow gauge ideal as I enjoy the challenge of making my own stock (Be they in kit or homemade forms). It is something that will keep me busy for some time!

sparkhill

Re: Bored With Your Model Railway?

Postby sparkhill » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:59 pm

I never had time to get bored as over the past 15 years I have built and destroyed American, British, Japanese N Gauge layouts, British OO and American HO layouts, I estimate that I have spent well over $25,000au on the hobby and have very little to show for it, I am not complaining though as it brought me many hours of enjoyment and a pretty good knowedge of the various railway systems.
So where does that leave me now?, to be honest the less I spend on the hobby the more fun I seem to be having, I now have several OO Gauge 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 locos and a decent selection of rolling stock two layouts one of which is in a back yard shed, I mostly build card structures some of which are my own design, I had two attempts with DCC but found it to be more trouble than it was worth crikey all I want to do is turn a knob and make a train move, I am enjoying my hobby more now than I ever have and proved to myself that it can be done on a limited budget.
Regards
Nobby

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:03 am

Heck! No!

With three layouts on one track plan PLUS five grandchildren running things their way, how can one become bored? :)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:44 am

In the past I reached stages where I became stagnant because for me the joy is in new ideas. So I tend to find difficulty finishing anything to a totally complete standard, but I really enjoy the thought process behind it if that makes any sense?
Last edited by Mountain on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:15 am

Hello
I hope you are in a better state of health at the moment Mountain. That must have been a somewhat difficult period for you.
I must say that as soon as I step into the middle of Little Weldon my stress level decreases rapidly. It has taken me two years to get this far and I get a warm glow when I look around my layout. This is the by far the biggest and most complete railway I have created. I have plans to develop the layout scenically just need to carry out a little further fine tuning and to replace some of the manual points for electric ones.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:17 am

Life can hit hard sometimes. I have vastly reduced the post, as I sometimes write round the world and back and miss the whole point of the thread! Oops!
But I would say that though the main reason why I changed scale was financial, the creativity potential and the love of designing via daydreaming (I have a very visual inner mind) are the main reasons why I am in love with 7mm narrow gauge. It gets my imagination going.

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:12 pm

The answer is YES,,about 8 or 9 months ago I decided I was totally un happy with the layout which was fully scenic,buildings ,cars ,everything ,.but I had visions of something better ,so I dismantled it ,made a slight start on the new layout,become un happy with that ,stopped ,and it is still like it now ,I keep on having urges to go and make a new start but but get no further than that ..

Montfort2

Postby Montfort2 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:25 pm

Bored With Your Model Railway? No way ! :D

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:13 pm

Sometimes changing the scenery a bit can improve how you feel about your layout. I extended the terraced housing at the junction station last time, and it made me feel a lot happier about that end of the layout. This year I intend to redo the branch line terminus (which is a Superquick station). I have a better station building, and will do a slightly longer platform using a Metcalfe platform as the basis. (The current platform is a little short for the rake of Birdcage stock.) Currently I have a goods shed on the single goods siding. I suspect that a loading bay with crane would look a little better.

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:06 pm

My issue isn't getting bored, it's getting frustrated because I cannot do what I used to be able to. Even the simplest of tasks can prove to be difficult I have arthritis in my wrists and fingers, but I persevere and in the end I succeed even if a 5 minute job takes all day, or even longer. :D
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”