Into the Mainstream

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Firefly16

Into the Mainstream

Postby Firefly16 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:38 pm

All the more enjoyable for being unexpected is an article in this week's 'Spectator'.' by Richard Bratby about this year's Warley Exhibition and our hobby generally. What with several personalities in the entertainment world proclaiming their passion, revelations about stars of the past (I didn't know Sinatra was a fan), this is surely recognition with a vengeance!

Bigmet

Re: Into the Mainstream

Postby Bigmet » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:12 am

Those of us with a little more depth, and disregard for the merely trendy, have known this for most of our lives! Nonetheless, it's good to see a little catch up going on. The thought does occur that this type of exposure probably isn't doing Hornby any harm, at a point in its existence when broadening the customer base is very necessary.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:58 am

For those young enough to still receive it, Sir Rod has proved it's a good idea to remember your Dad's advice even if you don't act on it immediately.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Byegad

Postby Byegad » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:45 am

Before we get carried away. I mention Hermann Goring. Who was a model railway fanatic. Apparently he had a huge layout in his palatial home, well, until 1945.

SEE
https://marklinstop.com/2011/12/marklin ... e-railway/

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:50 pm

The size of the model will doubtless have been inflated in his lifetime. He expected everyone to accept his bogus claims whatever he was involved in.
After an early raid on the UK he produced a poor resolution copy of this image to show the damage wrought by the Luftwaffe.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:10 pm

Just looked at Byegad's Goering link. Liked bombing his model railway, did he? "There you are, Wilson, you can see the sort of thing we're up against..."

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”