What would be in the ground floor of a signal box?

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bufferstop

Re: What would be in the ground floor of a signal box?

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:21 pm

This is beginning to sound like the saga of the GPO unmanned exchange/repeater station keys, it got to the stage that everyone had them, there was one official one held by the Planning department and a dozen or more copies in draws around the office. It was only tightened up when stories started to circulate of emergency fault crews meeting odd bods from all over the country spending Summer Friday nights in repeater stations on the way to the south west. Don't even mention moggie minor van keys, if you couldn't park it where you could see it from the caf' you would be searching round the block for where some joker had shifted it to. Makes my copy of the head caretakers master key seem tame, if I didn't have one, I could wait most of the day to access a broom cupboard just to reboot a router, couldn't put 'em in the corridors, with a couple of hundred would be hackers wandering around nobody would have had a secure connection.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:30 pm

Flashbang wrote:The concept was that RKB221 padlocks and keys were solely for use by S & T staff, no "operations" person should ever hold one

Quite. I acquired it from my predecessor, in as far as it was in his/my desk when I took it over. I never asked where he got it from but given some of the other practices he condoned I wasn't entirely surprised to find it. I showed it to our lineman and he snatched it away pronto !
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

GaryB

Postby GaryB » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:22 pm

Thanks for everyone's input, I suspected the area would be a bit more than a store-room but its part of a signal box I've never paid much attention to. I'll certainly be a lot more observant at the next steam railway we visit as it's surprising just how much detail gets overlooked but when you don't include it in a model it just looks as though something is missing, but you can't identify what!

D0260 wrote:GaryB drop me a PM with your email address and as soon as Ive got the images off the memory card, I'll drop you the images by return- or at least the best.

Thanks for that, I'll drop you a PM.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:15 pm

The men who developed the locking frame did it all on the basis off this must stop that from moving unless that thing over there is down. The amazing thing is this was done before anyone had formalised the rules of logic, and yet you can write the description of one as a series of logic expressions which would allow a computer to do the same job. There is or was one leaning against the wall at York, I told my wife (a first generation programmer) what it was for and she went along composing the rule for each bar. She even worked out where there was a piece missing.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

D0260

Postby D0260 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:59 am

The GW developed their own types of lever frame, because , it is said , they didnt like paying royalties on the patents held by other railway companies....Note that the point operating rods were round , solid wrought iron bar about 2inches diameter , later it was replaced by 'upside down' , 'U' channel. Wrought iron tended to have a tendency to 'bend' over long lengths, but could be worked onsite by the experts with a portable furnace.

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:17 am

When I was training as a signalman we were given a working model of a lever frame. complete with locking to show how it worked, but no box diagram. After we had all stopped "oohing and ahhing" at it we were challenged to draw the box diagram by reverse engineering from the locking - the main running signals were easy but they sidings and crossovers took a bit of working out !

Back to the ER/LMR free access for signalmen, thinking about it, whilst the locking frame and a few electric locks were downstairs, relays were usually in a separate building or in locs (location cabinets) outside, and we never had access to those. The locking room usually contained the gas (where supplied) and water stop cocks and the main domestic fuse box, so we had a legitimate reason for needing access to those.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”