Hornby Dublo - 3 Rail Advice

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Kentrfc1

Hornby Dublo - 3 Rail Advice

Postby Kentrfc1 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:32 pm

Hello all,

Looking for some advice on Hornby Dublo 3 rail. A few years ago I had to get rid of my modern Hornby layout due to space issues a few years ago. The time spent on it and the space it took up didn't add up sadly.

Recently I found some of my Grandads hornby dublo 3 rail and I wondered how easy this stuff is to use still? Can you easily assemble and unassemble layouts to go on something like a kitchen table?

In terms of powering the layout, what would people recommend?

Thanks
Kenny

Byegad

Re: Hornby Dublo - 3 Rail Advice

Postby Byegad » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:47 pm

There are many HD 3 rail layouts still in use. As it was designed to be put up and taken down regularly and is made of steel you should have no problems with the track other than keeping it clean. Rolling stock was/is robust and only the brushes on the motors are subject to wear. However the magnets in the motors are now very old and would benefit from re magnetising.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:30 pm

As long as the magnet is up to strength, get it remagnetised rather than substituting a modern neodymium one, commutator copper segments are cleaned and the brushes aren't worn away, it will run They were built tough, with two sliding contacts picking up and all wheels for the return current cleaning the track isn't as critical. I wondered what the hell was going wrong when I first moved to 2 rail. The couplings can take a bit of sorting out as they can get a bit distorted with knocks or a bit of rough shunting, but once you get them back to the right shape they'll work ok, and there's no problem picking one coach or wagon out of a train you just lift them out. If you haven't got the original controller or it doesn't work look to pick up a second hand H&M unit from the sixties or early seventies. Modern ones are a bit short on output, you need one that puts out one amp minimum. Have fun.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

windcutter9f

Postby windcutter9f » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:12 pm

If you are on Facebook,search for Hornby Dublo enthusiasts page or Hornby Dublo dreams.You will find a wealth of information on there regarding 3 rail including my post & videos on there.In the meantime,here`s a couple of pics of my layout.

Ray

20191028_165007.jpg

20191026_153051.jpg

windcutter9f

Postby windcutter9f » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:19 pm

Bufferstop wrote:As long as the magnet is up to strength, get it remagnetised rather than substituting a modern neodymium one, commutator copper segments are cleaned and the brushes aren't worn away, it will run They were built tough, with two sliding contacts picking up and all wheels for the return current cleaning the track isn't as critical. I wondered what the hell was going wrong when I first moved to 2 rail. The couplings can take a bit of sorting out as they can get a bit distorted with knocks or a bit of rough shunting, but once you get them back to the right shape they'll work ok, and there's no problem picking one coach or wagon out of a train you just lift them out. If you haven't got the original controller or it doesn't work look to pick up a second hand H&M unit from the sixties or early seventies. Modern ones are a bit short on output, you need one that puts out one amp minimum. Have fun.

I use Trax feedback controllers these days,one & a half amp output.

Ray.

Kentrfc1

Postby Kentrfc1 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:28 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone, much appreciated!

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:45 pm

Hi Kent
I'm also a three rail runner, I use two old H&M Duette's to run my layout Little Weldon. One of which I have recently bought of of EBay, this has been serviced and holds a current PAT test.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:53 pm

Hi Kenny,

Another three railer here though mine is all packed away. The only weak point as others have said is the magnets.

I've only ever had a few that wouldn't go. In the main they refuse to give up and die no matter how abused and believe me I've had some that were very, very abused.

Not forgetting the best parts, they are so cheap to buy in the main and pretty must point to a part and you can get it.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:11 am

I have my collection in storage. I was considering selling it. I may keep it. I don't know yet. It is good well built stuff. Also 3 rail rarely ever stalls like 2 rail can as 3 rail has such good electrical contact with the rails. Even coaches and waggons act as extra electrical contact. The centre contact acts as a wiper and as it passes it effectively cleans the centre rail... It takes quite dirty track to stop it. I can understand why so much 3 rail was made. Ever the rarer items were made in much higher numbers then todays standard production runs. The strange thing is that where Dublo 2 rail used to fetch high prices and 3 rail was cheap, I have noticed the tables have turned a bit as Dublo 2 rail has dropped and 3 rail seems to have taken off again.

Ok, it is easy to say that because I may sell mine one day... But I believe the reason is that the current trends for 2 rail fine scale mean that the older coarser 2 rail items are less popular as many modellers are now turning to fine scale track. It is not just Hornby Dublo 2 rail prices which have dropped. Wrenn ad Triang are at an all time low as well.

3 rail being its own market anysay seems to be holding its own and has a lovely quality that 2 rail lacks. The sound of 3 rail trains running on tin plate track can't be beat!
Attachments
20190417_165855.jpg
20190417_181118.jpg

Kentrfc1

Postby Kentrfc1 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:54 pm

Just had a binge on eBay. Looking forward to getting cracking with it!

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:38 am

Welcome to the world of Tinplate and Mazak.

gtis

Postby gtis » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:14 pm

Hi
Another HD 3 rail user I use a H&M duette a A3
And 2 gauge master hand held controllers running off
The A/C outlets
Neil

windcutter9f

Postby windcutter9f » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:05 am

3 rail is so much easier to wire & work on,this is a video of a City of London converted into Sir William Stanier FRS & finished in late 1947,early 48 LMS black lined livery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH_qZcmfsvM

20190611_230501.jpg

Ray.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”