Motive power for track cleaning

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
muggins

Motive power for track cleaning

Postby muggins » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:27 pm

My new improved Mk 6 (or maybe it's Mk7) track cleaning wagon seems to be working a treat, but alas the old Bachmann pannier which I use to push it round the layout can only just manage the drag induced by the weight on the cleaning pad.

I suspect that I could solve the problem more or less by weighting the pannier, but I don't really want to accelerate the wear on its drive and motion, so I'm wondering about an alternative form of motive power.

What would you guys recommend as a 00 workhorse that's readily available secondhand on Ebay, for not much money at all, that has far more than its fair share of pushing power?

Firefly16

Re: Motive power for track cleaning

Postby Firefly16 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:00 pm

If it's any help, the Lima small prairie is a good puller - the ones I have tested on the level and a reasonable slope can start a 16oz load from rest. Watch the bids on ebay for an idea of the price.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:47 pm

muggins wrote:What would you guys recommend as a 00 workhorse that's readily available secondhand on Ebay, for not much money at all, that has far more than its fair share of pushing power?

The units I use are the BoBo power units concealed within the first version of the Bachmann 'Peak' released in 1991. This is the version, (but obviously you want a good runner at a lower price) note the deeply recessed cab windows, and clumsy projecting coupler mounting, and the coarse flanges as recognition points.
https://www.hattons.co.uk/478301/bachma ... etail.aspx

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:58 pm

muggins wrote:My new improved Mk 6 (or maybe it's Mk7) track cleaning wagon seems to be working a treat

Is there info for your MK6 / 7 track cleaning wagon on the forum muggins?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

muggins

Postby muggins » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:44 am

Cheers gents. The Lima seems to be available for around £25 but I'm wondering about those flanges running through Code 75 electrofrog points. Any idea if that should be OK? Unfortunately it looks like the diesel goes for more money than I can afford to spend on this.

The track cleaner's nothing special, it's just taken me a while to end up with exactly what I wanted. It's now an old Hornby LMS brake van with the floor butchered to take this Lanarkshire Models kit http://www.lanarkshiremodels.com/lanark ... te_139.htm

That's an interesting concept which didn't work as well for me as it seems to for some folk, so I kept experimenting until I established that for the grot that accumulates on my track, the way forward was definitely the textured side of hardboard with or without a splash of IPA on it. So I've ended up replacing the brass roller with a plastic card "box" full of lead which is free to slide up and down, to the bottom of which my rectangle of hardboard is fixed with double-sided tape. Works a treat, isn't noticeable under the brake van once it's painted matt black, and changing the hardboard's a doddle.

The only slight issue is the drag. It still works with less weight and therefore less drag, but it works better if all the available space (about 20mm square by 12mm) is full of lead, at which point it's on the limit for the duty pannier ...

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:20 am

muggins wrote:...The only slight issue is the drag. It still works with less weight and therefore less drag, but it works better if all the available space (about 20mm square by 12mm) is full of lead, at which point it's on the limit for the duty pannier ...

In less sophistimicated territory the drag is just that, a block of lead with a piece of hardboard glued on the underside! Keep eyes open for older Bachmann diesel models, several have now been upgraded, and any of older 24/25, 37, 40, 45/46 may well turn up cheap, all very effective as traction units for this purpose.

I bought my two track drag traction units for £28 each in 1991, after a colleague alerted me to a manufacturer having introduced an OO model with the well proven North American centre motor drive design. At the time there was no model railway as such, just an outdoor line, on which a limited number of variously converted OO models operated in 'long trains through the landscape' style. I knew the worth of these types of drives having installed Athearn PA1 mechs in Brush type 2 bodies, and was rather pleased that they were now arriving in OO. And very good they were too for heavy haulage. One got 'dressed' in an ancient Joueff EE type 4 body for a little variety.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:17 am

The Heljan BO-BO mechanisms have huge pulling power. My Class 23 and 33's will pull pretty much anything. At the moment Hattons have BR Parcels units going cheap (£54) which are reputedly very good pullers. You can also buy a new Heljan Class 26/27 chassis on Ebay for £36 which would do the trick, but it would look a bit odd without a body :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:58 am

GeraldH wrote:The Heljan BO-BO mechanisms have huge pulling power. ...a new Heljan Class 26/27 chassis on Ebay for £36 which would do the trick, but it would look a bit odd without a body .

Quite so, excellent traction, but usually rather more expensive than an older Bachmann. £36 is a steal...

I can confirm that the parcels car pulls really well, and there is room inside for added weight if yet more traction is required. I have a modified mechanism inside a Gresley full brake, for use as a brake so that the train it is in can stand without a loco on a gradient.

muggins

Postby muggins » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:48 pm

Thank you gents. The main problem I face now is my total lack of any knowledge of diesels: I know that Bo-Bo is four wheels per bogie and Co-Co is six (at least that's what I've always thought!), but that's about it. Looks like my next challenge is to take the suggestions kindly given in this thread and then get to the point where I can translate them into Ebay search terms ...

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:24 am

Manufacturer + TOPS class should do it, provided the vendor has listed it correctly.
(The real bargains are to be found on incorrectly listed items, but the purchaser has to know more than the vendor to spot them. I will always be very pleased with my Tring (sic) black diesel shunter obtained for under £10 inc P+P, as it is actually a Bachmann 08 in BR black, that someone had put in a random Triang box...)

So, most likely at a decent price with good traction:
Bachmann class 24, 25, 37, 40, 45, 46. All of these have 'earlier versions' which should provide the lower price opportunities.

If you fancy a Danish, and they do pull like heroes, lower prices likely to be:
Heljan class 23, 26, 27, 33, 35, 58. You'll probably need bodywork damage or body missing to get a good price. The class 47 is a minefield as there is Mazak rot, probably best avoided.

Just in case you are wondering why none of the class 20 and smaller numbers, the narrow bodies mean less weight. They still pull decently but not like the heavier full width body types.

If you like exploring for incorrectly listed, Backman(n), Baschman(n), Bashman(n), Helljan, Hel(l)yan, Horny, Horbny, Honby, Honrby, Homby, can be worth a look.

muggins

Postby muggins » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:40 pm

Gosh Bigmet, that's very helpful indeed. Thank you once again!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”