Great Electric Train show

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Buelligan

Great Electric Train show

Postby Buelligan » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:55 pm

Did anyone else attend the above event this weekend? We went along today and thought it was really good. The kids zone was great for the 2 youngest, as once they'd got bored in the main hall (about half way around) my wife took them up to the kids zone where they could play with some trains and do some colouring. Also Hornby were giving out goody bags to the kids up there, with a mug and an LMS horse box. My wife bought me a Hornby 'Falcon', as my 'birthday present', though she said that about the 'Silver King' she got me at the Hornby visitor centre a couple of months ago. I also bought another A4, Hornby, in WD Black, I forget the name, but it was one I didn't already have so it came home with me. Got my son a coach from the same stand, looks unused but was only £10. As usual I could've spent far more, at least another 4 A4's I'd have liked, as well as a kit of a King Arthur Class, but it was 'O' gauge or similar.

All in all a great day out for all, and the kids are looking forward to the next show we're going to, which I think is the Show at the Garden heritage centre.

Was anyone else there, and get any good bargains?

Re: Great Electric Train show

Postby 4472 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:05 pm

Got 3 old coaches for my heritage train. Also saw the Hornby 2019 Christmas wagon for £14.50, a lot less than the adverts on eBay !!
It was a lot less crowded than Ally Pally which made the day pleasant
And I entered the draw for the Hornby Coca-Cola train set
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:15 pm

4472 wrote:Got 3 old coaches for my heritage train. Also saw the Hornby 2019 Christmas wagon for £14.50, a lot less than the adverts on eBay !!
It was a lot less crowded than Ally Pally which made the day pleasant
And I entered the draw for the Hornby Coca-Cola train set

I entered the competition too, fingers crossed... If that was less crowded then I'm glad I didn't got to Ally Pally, MK was busy enough for me. The LMS Patriot stand always seem to have some decent used stuff.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:17 am

It's pretty local to me, about 30 minutes drive. Wife dropped me at the venue and then went off shopping. It was very comfortable. I had no problems seeing any of the layouts. I tend to go to most of the exhibitions on a Sunday. I was there from about 1.30 to closing time. I got myself a pre-owned Bachmann Midland 1F for £70 complete with crew and lightly weathered from Rails. It's a very nice runner. The venue is completely different from the Motor Museum which was really unsuitable and very cramped. There are some pictures of the 1F on my PETERSDALE thread.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:33 am

There's a replacement event at the Motor museum, I'm going along mainly to see if it was the venue or the organisers who made it such a crush. Putting the must see layout immediately at the top of the escalators seemed to me to lack any sort of imagination. I'm surprised 'elf 'n safety didn't veto it!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:20 pm

RailwayRobbo wrote:It's pretty local to me, about 30 minutes drive. Wife dropped me at the venue and then went off shopping. It was very comfortable. I had no problems seeing any of the layouts. I tend to go to most of the exhibitions on a Sunday. I was there from about 1.30 to closing time. I got myself a pre-owned Bachmann Midland 1F for £70 complete with crew and lightly weathered from Rails. It's a very nice runner. The venue is completely different from the Motor Museum which was really unsuitable and very cramped. There are some pictures of the 1F on my PETERSDALE thread.

Bufferstop wrote:There's a replacement event at the Motor museum, I'm going along mainly to see if it was the venue or the organisers who made it such a crush. Putting the must see layout immediately at the top of the escalators seemed to me to lack any sort of imagination. I'm surprised 'elf 'n safety didn't veto it!

Certainly seemed some good deals there.

I'm also going to the show at Gaydon in November, never been there before (for anything but the museum), hopefully it'll be good, though I'll need a bit more self restraint this time.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:37 pm

There was always too much in the area at the top of the entrance escalators which was central between the two big exhibition rooms and the smaller rooms and cafe. So there was always a lot of cross traffic with people arriving at the top of the escalators. The organisers always put their stuff in that area including the featured layout. Too many people went back through that way to get from side to side, there was a rear corridor area which had the demo rooms etc off it, but if you ventured into it, it was always a quicker way to get to the other end.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:22 pm

Bufferstop wrote:There's a replacement event at the Motor museum, I'm going along mainly to see if it was the venue or the organisers who made it such a crush. Putting the must see layout immediately at the top of the escalators seemed to me to lack any sort of imagination. I'm surprised 'elf 'n safety didn't veto it!

Yes, I'm going to give it a try to see if they make a better job of it. It is Hornby sponsored again though isn't it?
I'll be there on the Saturday as that's the only day the shuttle bus is running. I'm getting the Senoir Railcard out. Northampton to Leamington, change at Coventry.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:05 pm

Hornby themselves have taken a stand this time. The GES is organised and sponsored by the "Hornby Magazine" which is a publishing company. We let them advertise the show on here, but they kept bunging in adverts for non railway publications, so in the end we pulled the plug on them.

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:15 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Hornby themselves have taken a stand this time. The GES is organised and sponsored by the "Hornby Magazine" which is a publishing company. We let them advertise the show on here, but they kept bunging in adverts for non railway publications, so in the end we pulled the plug on them.

Hornby were there last year wih the full stand and when it was at Gaydon. At Gaydon it was Simon by himself for a couple of years. Did you actually visit the show ?????

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:59 pm

Yes Hornby were there at the invite of the publishers, would have been churlish not to. They appear not to have been put off by the venue, as I said it will be interesting to see if different organisers can make better use of the odd shaped space. They had a few problems with layout in their first year at MK, Mr Kohler for one was not happy with his pitch.

Buelligan

Postby Buelligan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:56 pm

For me the Gaydon show was decided upon as its about half way between me and my Dad, so we're going to meet up there, I'll take the 2 eldest kids, and have a few hours with my Dad looking at all the trains. Also a big draw to me was the fact that the OO live steam club will be there, so it'll give me a chance to see them running.

This year is the 1st year I've been to any exhibitions (since I was about 7 anyway), Gaydon will be our 3rd. The 1st must've been around March, at a school or leisure centre in Milton Keynes, that was a really good day out, plenty there in separate halls, and a good few bargains. Great Electric train show was a last minute decision, Gaydon has been planned for a couple of months.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:27 am

trainlover23 wrote:At Gaydon it was Simon by himself for a couple of years.

Those were the years when Hornby's presence was down to the invitation. In his "Simon Says" column he posted a picture of a signboard adjacent to his hotel which I was able to comment upon, we had an amiable exchange of emails. It was no surprise to me when shortly afterwards he split from Hornby. What followed was almost inevitable, and I think we wouldn't have a Hornby to appear last year or this if he hadn't been available to take up the challenge again.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”