End of train lamp

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
triuph1050

End of train lamp

Postby triuph1050 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:05 pm

So what do you do if you have a "non working" loco?

So had enough spare bits and pieces to put a class 66 together but with no motor and no decoder fitted and of corse no lights. So I removed the worm gears from the two bogie towers so the wheels can turn and best of all used the existing pickups on the bogies for the end of train lamp. Now can be "doubled headed" with any other loco (no speed mapping needed) or as an end loco on a rake of wagons or whatever you want :)

https://youtu.be/Hhxpis6-fcs

Ironduke

Re: End of train lamp

Postby Ironduke » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:52 pm

hi triuph,
I can't see the video. It says it's private.
Regards
Rob

triuph1050

Postby triuph1050 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:54 pm

Ironduke wrote:hi triuph,
I can't see the video. It says it's private.

Try now :)

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:15 am

that works. Very nice.
Regards
Rob

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:45 am

Bear in mind that that light wouldn't be there if you are double heading and pulling a train so at least make the option to switch it off. There are far too many layouts i see at exhibitions that have the red lights on the back of the loco even though they are hauling a trains... And that's before you look at the brightness of the front lights, if they were like that in real life my driver colleagues would be refusing to drive their trains due to the rsik of being blinded!

Sorry it's become a rant, but lights and sound seem to be the latest gimmicks but in both cases we see and hear them when we shouldn't and in both cases they tend to be too loud/bright!

Very nicely done, though, would look very nice parked up on a siding somewhere!

triuph1050

Postby triuph1050 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:46 am

Hi b308 Yes double heading didn't think of that but I wouldn't anyway because the lamp is there, instead I like this together with another 66 together (running light I think is it called) seen plenty of vids showing that and makes a nice train setup on my layout
Cheers Peter

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:46 am

b308 wrote:Sorry it's become a rant, but lights and sound seem to be the latest gimmicks but in both cases we see and hear them when we shouldn't and in both cases they tend to be too loud/bright!

They're great on things like US locomotives, which have an array of lights doing different things. DCC allows you to operate them prototypically such as dimming the headlamp when stopped, flashing the ditch lights at crossings or whatever. But this doesn't always translate well to UK models, except modern stuff which does have actual headlights.

One of the best representations of steam-era oil lamps I've seen involved a simple drop of luminous paint on the lens. Enough to make it glow in the dark but not really light up, as it should be. I guess with this arrangement you could move the lamps around depending on the headcode.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:22 am

pete12345 wrote:One of the best representations of steam-era oil lamps I've seen involved a simple drop of luminous paint on the lens. Enough to make it glow in the dark but not really light up, as it should be.

You've just given me an idea pete! :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”