Sleeper grime spray paint

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
mjb1961

Sleeper grime spray paint

Postby mjb1961 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:24 pm

Hi ,,,I've been thinking about spraying the tracks with the sleeper grime spray to tone down the shiny sleepers ,now model match sleeper grime is £15.50"on eBay / £7.50 plus post from hattons,I think a bit expensive so what about ordinary Matt black spray ,would that give the same result or not ,has anyone got any advice on this ,also would you spray the tracks before BALLASTING ,,,thanks ,,look forward to your replies,,mjb
Last edited by mjb1961 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: Sleeper grime spray paint

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:29 pm

mjb1961 wrote:Hi ,,,I've been thinking about spraying the tracks with the sleeper grime spray to tone down the shiny sleepers ,now model match sleeper grime is £15.50"on eBay / £7.50 plus post from halfords ,I think a bit expensive so what about ordinary Matt black spray ,would that give the same result or not ,has anyone got any advice on this ,also would you spray the tracks before BALLASTING ,,,thanks ,,look forward to your replies,,mjb

Don't use black, get a browny/grey type matt colour, but yes, no need to buy an expensive can of paint just because it's a specific colour. I'd spray before ballasting but then potentially do some lighter weathering of some description after ballasting too. Don't forget to wipe the rails after spraying, top and inside edge just to be safe!
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout.

footplat47

Postby footplat47 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:42 pm

I would say .. No. Tracks normally look rusty dirty browny colour. But it depends where the tracks are. If they are in and around a yard or steam engine shed or workshops you may not see the sleepers at all for the build up of dirty grime old ash and coal ect.

I would go for the rusty dirty brown look my self.. on the main line anyway. but I prefer to keep my track clean but if you must use paint makesure you keep spray cans away points. Use a brush so you dont get paint in places you dont want to....
Question, does Halford sell railway colours now?.......................John
Never enough time is there.........John

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:49 pm

Thankyou for your fast replies,,and 'NO' footplate halfords don't sell railway colours ,I just mentioned halfords as somewhere I could possibly buy some Matt spray cheaper ,,,so back on topic I would be best going for a browny rust sort of colour ,I'll have a look ,,thankyou :D ,,mjb

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:55 pm

footplat47 wrote:I would say .. No. Tracks normally look rusty dirty browny colour. But it depends where the tracks are. If they are in and around a yard or steam engine shed or workshops you may not see the sleepers at all for the build up of dirty grime old ash and coal ect.

I would go for the rusty dirty brown look my self.. on the main line anyway. but I prefer to keep my track clean but if you must use paint makesure you keep spray cans away points. Use a brush so you dont get paint in places you dont want to....
Question, does Halford sell railway colours now?.......................John

Apologises footplate ,I've read over my first post and see why you asked about halfords ,it should have said hattons ,,I've now corrected it,,mjb

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:02 pm

Have a look at Halfords Camo Brown, looks quite a good colour for track sleepers.

Paul

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:09 am

Paul-H wrote:Have a look at Halfords Camo Brown, looks quite a good colour for track sleepers.

Paul

Will do ,thanks

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:16 pm

Yet to see anything from a can that's perfect. Look at the track you want to model, and formulate the right brew for your location.

Free_at_last

Postby Free_at_last » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:18 pm

Paul-H wrote:Have a look at Halfords Camo Brown, looks quite a good colour for track sleepers.

Paul

I used this before ballasting and was happy with the result.
Pete.
Gauge is not spelt guage. Remember to put another "m" in remeber. Manufacturers has two "r"s in.
When you buy something, you have bought it, not brought it.
Before you post, are you really LOL and do you NEED to tell us?

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”