Cheap Flock

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
IAN1955

Cheap Flock

Postby IAN1955 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:04 pm

How to make inexpensive ground flock

Being a disabled person and on a pension money is tight, well when I discovered this video I was happily surprised, next day up to my mates house who keeps cats and robbed him of some of his litter, he buys it in bulk so no dramas so scrounged half a carrier bag off him enough to last a while as you will see.
He thought I was crackers until I showed him the video,at that point he lost the will to live, no seriously for those who have not seen it, brilliant 9 minutes long video, the power of the internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M51m1-XM-4

footplat47

Re: Cheap Flock

Postby footplat47 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:02 pm

Hi Ian,,,,,,,,, well, watched the vid and thanks for sharing it with us. But my take on this one is, what a lot of effort to go to. By the time you have bought the paint and paid the gas or electic bill to dry it out and spent all that time prepairing and you have to buy the litter in the first place , I dont see it is either a saving on buying a bag of flock from the model shop. in the first place. Also in doing so you will be suporting the model trade as well.
Surly a pack of ready made flock from a model shop is finer and more realistic and cheaper after all the time and effort you have put into prepairing the stuff. And buying the cat litter.............. 10 out of 10 for effort though. :D :D ...........John
Never enough time is there.........John

IAN1955

Postby IAN1955 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:36 pm

Hi John,
I totally agree with your comments and to be honest if you are in a rush and want a quick fix then that is the way to go.
As a hobby is it not more fun to make your own, to have the joy of seeing what you have created not by someone else, (scratch builders would agree with me), you can make as much or as little as you want where you are stuck with what the suppliers put in bags and charge in some cases silly prices, anyway what is the rush, I am not doing anything else.

Anyway glad you enjoyed the video, I have a few more good videos that I will post later.

Ps Cat litter is about £2.00 per bag or free if you have a mate like mine

heda

Postby heda » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:55 pm

If you want to make your own there is another way, it's not new and it's even cheaper than cat litter. Sawdust, a friend of mine does a lot of wood craft and produces loads of the stuff. Mixed some with acrylic, left it in the airing cupboard to dry then gave it a good shake, job done.
I've got an ice cream tub full of earthy brown and another of (to bright) green, also some small amounts of assorted colours that are perfect for flower beds, I used some in the gardens on my N gauge layout and again in the greenhouses for my son in laws layout.
Dave

IAN1955

Postby IAN1955 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:15 pm

Hi Dave, great idea never thought of sawdust, there is a wood yard just down from where I live and I often pop in to pick up scrap wood, thanks for the tip.
PS great model.
Ian

Note, If anyone has a timber yard where they live it is a great source for scrap wood, just give them them a couple of quid and it is surprising what they put in your car, last lot cost me a packet of Tea Bags (PG TIPS x 240) bought from Morrison's for £4.00

footplat47

Postby footplat47 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:45 pm

Hi Ian you have done some nice work the garden ect look very nice and I know some chaps like to make stuff but you cant call it cheaper as for scratch builders I think that is a turm I understand to discribe modellers who build building bridges locos and rolling stock ect from raw matirials. I would not call applying flock to scenery scratch building. ..........john
Never enough time is there.........John

Dublo

Postby Dublo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:58 am

Hello all
All of Little Weldon's grass consists of dyed sawdust of various different greens mixed with finely minced foam. I have also used different coloured sands, sieved. Along with real crushed coal in the yard. The ballast was shop bought.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:37 am

I use used tea leaves for ballast, it can also be used for ground cover. The leaves from teabags are finer than loose tea. A wash of paint can change the colour a bit if required. Ash from the fire or BBQ looks good around the loco depot.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”