Vandal Update

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
IAN1955

Vandal Update

Postby IAN1955 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:14 pm

If you are interested then read on, if you are not interested do not read.

The old thread has been locked but in my opinion members need to know what is going on with this tragic case, a case that shocked enthusiasts world wide.

This is what I have read in my local paper..

The sentence of a fourth boy who smashed up Market Deeping Model Railway Club's exhibition causing £30,000 worth of damage was adjourned until later this month.

The 16-year-old boy pleaded guilty to causing criminal damage at a hearing on August 19 and was due to be sentenced this afternoon (Monday, September 2) at Lincoln Youth Court.

But the sentence was adjourned because the boy's legal guardian did not attend after telling youth offending team staff that she is currently on holiday.
Magistrates adjourned the case for sentence at Boston Youth Court on the morning of Tuesday, September 24.

A summons was issued for the boy's legal guardian to attend that hearing.
This not speculation just fact

Peterm

Re: Vandal Update

Postby Peterm » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:29 am

Nothing like a caring parent, and this is nothing like a caring parent. On the other hand, maybe the parent (legal guardian) in question has had enough of bad behaviour.
Pete.

footplat47

Postby footplat47 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:52 am

Maybee the child is like they are because the parent is made of the same stuff and just has contempt for the law......John
Never enough time is there.........John

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:19 am

I don’t need to know this, but that’s just my opinion. Responses to this new discussion need to be extremely temperate or I can see it going the way of the last one.

Having spent 35 years working within the Criminal Justice system, this does not surprise me although it is disappointing.

It is interesting to observe however that very recently, in Neath, a pub landlord died after an altercation with two youths: one has been charged with manslaughter and both with affray. I think that an adult has been charged with assisting an offender, too. It has received nothing like the publicity which the railway exhibition damage did.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:07 am

Ok. Keep up with the sentencing of the final one, once he's been dealt with let's drop it!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:43 am

Lysander wrote:...very recently, in Neath, a pub landlord died after an altercation with two youths... It has received nothing like the publicity which the railway exhibition damage did.

This is a perfect illustration of the old saw that the commonplace 'dog bites man' is seldom if ever reported, whereas 'man bites dog' is news...

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:26 pm

Lysander wrote:I don’t need to know this, but that’s just my opinion. Responses to this new discussion need to be extremely temperate or I can see it going the way of the last one.

Having spent 35 years working within the Criminal Justice system, this does not surprise me although it is disappointing.

It is interesting to observe however that very recently, in Neath, a pub landlord died after an altercation with two youths: one has been charged with manslaughter and both with affray. I think that an adult has been charged with assisting an offender, too. It has received nothing like the publicity which the railway exhibition damage did.

Tony

Sad that a man was killed without it being widespread news. You never know what's waiting for you in the next minute of your life.
Pete.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:35 pm

It appeared for a day or two on the BBC and now all is quiet. When the trial starts it'll appear again but, sadly, he's just another statistic. It's often very difficult not to think that society believes that property is more valuable than human life.....

Tony

UrbanHermit

Postby UrbanHermit » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:00 pm

I'm not going to forget it in a hurry. Neath is the nearest town to where I live.
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:00 pm

When someone has been apprehended and sent for trial it has to go quiet any news organisation publishing or broadcasting facts or opinions about the crime would be in contempt of court. The defendants legal representative can claim that released information may prejudice any possible jury making a fair trial impossible.

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:42 am

Lysander wrote:IIt's often very difficult not to think that society believes that property is more valuable than human life..

I don't think anyone is saying that at all. What most people are railing against is the lack of regard that some people have for other people's property. (I initially put "respect" but I now feel that word has been debased by many young people's misuse of the word). If you'd spent many years making something and someone then came along and wilfully destroyed it I doubt you'd be very happy either. The country has Laws and they set the level of punishment that is appropriate, if that is not felt to be suitable then then it's up to Society to get it changed. It's worth bearing in mind that these kids will now have a criminal record against them for the rest of their lives, not the ideal start to life...

It also depends on the property, if that property is the person's livelihood and with out it they would not be able to work then the situation is much more serious (such as a farmer's equipment for instance)...

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:42 am

I think you may have missed my point here. I am not implying that any poster on here values property over life. I am commenting more generally about societal attitudes towards notorious events like the trashing of the show, and particularly how the populist end of the tabloid media - and particularly social media - deal with these things.

Of course this was devastating for those whose property was destroyed. Had one of my locos been there, I'd be absolutely furious. This does not get away from the fact however that whilst events like this are thankfully rare, violence in some parts of some cities is common place and so less newsworthy. And for some parts of the media, knife attacks on black teenagers in particular are just not worth the bother of reporting. And that, I am afraid, is a fact.

Whether we like it or not, wrecking a model railway show guarantees headlines: gang violence against a young victim may well not. That is the sad reflection of society I am talking about.

Tony

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:23 pm

Lysander wrote:I think you may have missed my point here. I am not implying that any poster on here values property over life. I am commenting more generally about societal attitudes towards notorious events like the trashing of the show, and particularly how the populist end of the tabloid media - and particularly social media - deal with these things.

Of course this was devastating for those whose property was destroyed. Had one of my locos been there, I'd be absolutely furious. This does not get away from the fact however that whilst events like this are thankfully rare, violence in some parts of some cities is common place and so less newsworthy. And for some parts of the media, knife attacks on black teenagers in particular are just not worth the bother of reporting. And that, I am afraid, is a fact.

Whether we like it or not, wrecking a model railway show guarantees headlines: gang violence against a young victim may well not. That is the sad reflection of society I am talking about.

This /\ /\, 110%. Ever since the start of this sorry debacle the thing that I've found most distasteful are the 'hang'em high' attitudes that have been so prevalent. Not that condemnation and punishment aren't warranted - that goes without saying - but I do think a sense of perspective is sorely needed by many in this hobby. I made the point a few weeks ago on a few FB groups that the appeal for the widow of a young PC who had been murdered in particularly unpleasant circumstances hadn't reached twice what the Market Deeping appeal reached. I'm sure it's much more now, but you take my point

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:13 pm

I was old enough to be able to compare the sentences given in the previous few years to murderers, with the sentences dished out to Ronnie Biggs and his mates. They were entirely out of proportion, not withstanding their treatment of driver Jack Mills. A friend a little older than me said "my son is old enough to ask why you get less for murder than robbery, what the hell can I tell him"

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:56 pm

The judge gave his reasons for it at the time. It was done as a deterent. Whether it worked or not is a moot point as there have been few such robberies that compare.

As for the other bit I don't agree. Killing someone or drug peddling still causes much more "hang em high" reactions than this sort of crime. Perhaps my views are tainted because I don't use Twitter or similar so just don't see these reactions...

Social media is the worst evil though. We would be better off without it.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”