UK or Bust 2020

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Chops

See Britain by Rail

Postby Chops » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:46 am

Stumbled over an old Pathe film regarding British Rail Tourism, dates to 1927.
Very historic. Very.

https://youtu.be/VjoiTTszNYI
Nessie rocks!

Dublo

Re: UK or Bust 2020

Postby Dublo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:32 am

Hi Chops
That looks like a very comprehensive list of places you would like to visit. I think a must for you if you are planning to travel by rail would be to study the railway timetables. You may have to adjust some of your timings. Speaking as a Londoner born and bred there are many, many exciting things to see and do here. The Tower of London being one of the most popular.

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:26 am

First thing I'd say is it depends on what time your flights are, when I go on my annual rail trip in Europe I try to arrange it so the flight arrives where I am going as early as possible and my flight back goes as late as possible, that way you can make some use of the first and last days. Otherwise they are wasted days.

The timetable looks OK, London/York is only about 2/3 hours, same again from York to the Lakes. People go on about Cornwall but to be honest it's not really any better than the surrounding counties of Somerset, Dorset and Devon and as they are easier to get to I'd suggest they would be just as good for walking and biking, they have beaches as well. From the Lakes to the South West (say Exeter (nice place BTW!)) is about a 6 hour train ride, including changing at Birmingham New Street (which people say is bad but is actually very straightforward!!). Make sure you plan ahead and get reservations on the train, London to York and the Lakes to the South West especially.

Blists Hill is a whole day (it includes the very first iron bridge in the world and is rightly regarded as the home of the Industrial Revolution). It is accessible by train (and connecting bus) from Telford. It would take out a couple of days out of your timetable, though, you'd be best doing it en route from the Lakes to the SW.

Air BNB... I've never used it though both my daughters have and had mixed results. They've never been stuck but some places have not been what they've expected from the descriptions. However that applies to most places! If you want something cheaper than hotels then the places you are going to, York, The Lakes and the SW have lots of very good Bed and Breakfasts which can range from the odd room in an ordinary house to a room on a farm! Best bet is to decide where you are going and do the normal searches on Tripadvisor and the like and also check out the local Tourist Information sites for the places you are going as they will have details of accommodation.

footplat47

Postby footplat47 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:18 am

Was reading your list of places to see, and I notice you want visit Wales and Scotland. We have lived all over Britain north south east and west. We are now living in the Scotish/English Borders on the banks of the river tweed which is the finest fishing river in europe I am given to understand. My sum up of Britain is, London is OK lots to see if you like big cities. (over crowded and over rated) Southern English coast is quite nice.
Devon and Cornwall lovley counties but taken over by holiday homes and sometimes was like living in holiday camp in summer.
Midlands ( not impressed) Wales lovley country we enjoyed living there.
Lake district lovely but small you can see it all in 2 or three days.
North east, too much crime.
North west lovely country.
Now we come to Scotland. Breathtakingly wonderful. When it comes to beauty you will not be dissapointed. The Scotish people are lovly as well. You will not want to leave Scotland. We dont.
Never enough time is there.........John

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:14 am

Some very sweeping generalisations, there, Footplate, and I'll take issue with you on many of the comments. Remember he's only coming on holiday, not to live, So can pick and choose where he visits and see the best that each area has to offer.

1. He's very unlikely to see any crime in the NE unless he's very unlucky (we spent a week up there in June and didn't see any!). Having said that everywhere has a degree of crime and the NE is no worse than most places and much better than others (London for instance).
2. I don't know what part of the Midlands you've seen but again a very sweeping generalisation. The western counties of Hertfordshire, Worcestershire and Shropshire are known as having some of the best rural scenery in England. You want rolling countryside with chocolate-box villages and towns without lots of people there's your place.
3. Many seaside places are taken up with holidays homes, but once outside those areas then there's lots of unspoilt countryside, you don't see many caravans up on the moors in the SW!
4. You need far more than 2 or 3 days to see the Lakes properly. It would take you 2 days just to do the National Trust properties, before you start on other houses, two preserved railways, lots of lakes, several very nice towns and villages and numerous museums. We've spent several weeks up there and still not seen it all.!

I think you are too bias towards Scotland, yes some of it is nice but there are parts i wouldn't want to send someone to just like any other place, same with Wales, some of the scenery is spectacular (though I certainly wouldn't call Scotland's Central belt that!) but England has it's fair share of spectacular, the Lakes being one and the Pennines another and the moors in the SW are as well, just different, that's all. The UK in general is a nice place, especially when you get outside the urban areas, though even they are rich with superb museums and places to see such as cathedrals...

Remember this is just a short holiday, what he has suggested based on what he says he wants to do will definitely give him a "taste" of England and he'll be visiting some nice places. When he visits next time and wants to do Scotland and Wales then that'll be your chance.

BTW Chops I think you'll find that Ireland (North and South) is worth a short holiday as well! ;)

footplat47

Postby footplat47 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:04 pm

Hello b308 in answer to your question as to where we have lived. We have lived in and owned 27 houses in just about every corner of Great Britain since 1972. Also. Sorry if my idears on this country are not quite the same as yours. By the way we also have also lived in quite a few diferent countries around the world too. I still prefer Scotland. Just wish it had a longer summer. :D

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:41 pm

footplat47 wrote:Hello b308 in answer to your question as to where we have lived. We have lived in and owned 27 houses in just about every corner of Great Britain since 1972. Also. Sorry if my idears on this country are not quite the same as yours. By the way we also have also lived in quite a few diferent countries around the world too. I still prefer Scotland. Just wish it had a () summer. :D

Fixed that for you there, I was working on the day this year

This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

footplat47

Postby footplat47 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:09 pm

Hello Lucky (cant remember the rest of it).......... :D We have had quite a good summer this year up here in the best part of britain. I did not believe it when driving up to Edinburgh few weeks ago, the car thermometer read 39c. going over the forth road bridge. Never seen it that hot before. Mind you that was too hot. We went out for a drive that day because the car was the coolest place to be. :D :D ..............John

Postby 4472 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:29 pm

don't forget Kent with the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch railway. Good model layout to see at New Romney
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:34 pm

footplat47 wrote: Sorry if my idears on this country are not quite the same as yours.

It wasn't that. You made some sweeping generalisations based on your own views which were factually incorrect. Nor did I ask where you have lived. You were obviously well travelled like me.

Also going on holiday somewhere for a few days is very different to living somewhere. Completely different requirements. So a reply in this thread should reflect that.

BTW I have lived in Scotland before moving down here and both myself and my Scottish wife prefer it here. You need to add "in my view" when making statements like you do. Everywhere has good and bad places, what is right for one person isn't for another. So the Highlands may be your ideal location but it woukd be a disaster for us. Beauty is also in the eye of the beholder for me the Highlands though spectacular are too bleak. The Austrian Alps in the other hand.

Anyhow this is all off topic. Back to Chop's holiday. I think you are right not to try to sqeeze too much in. What you suggest would work and is not too taxing.

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:51 pm

I really feel for Chops! What a bewildering choice is being laid before him. It makes me realise just how blessed we are who live here.

footplat47

Postby footplat47 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Hello b308 my generalisations may have seemed incorrect to you but for me they were spot on remarks. Some like cheese some like beef, thats life.
John
Last edited by footplat47 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:01 pm

That was my whole point. You expressed your opinion but presented it as fact which it wasn't.
Glad we've sorted that.

You are quite right Firefly there is so much to see and he has so little time!

Chops

Postby Chops » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:38 pm

Yup, bewildered I am. In my younger days I've been around a few places, France, Spain, USSR, Finland,
but always had a keen desire to return to the UK. I am beginning to think I may need to ratchet
back and make two places to visit instead of four. I'd though Brighton might be interesting, until I saw the
BBC production, "The Fear," the other evening. People I talk to share the same opinion, that
BBC and Australian productions, in the particular, have a dramatic edge to them that require
thought. The Fear is no less of that standard.

Brilliant anti-hero, he is suffering from the onset of Alzheimer's and makes a decision to protect
his family from his historical business interests. It is rather dark, and I don't recommend it; plenty
of anatomy lessons to drive the cynicism home. But it rather dulled my interest in Brighton- perhaps
a little too urban and touristy from my taste, but someone said Cornwall having the best beaches
in the lower UK, although some of extolled on the start beauty of Welsh seashore, which could not
be disputed.

Any event, I want to plunge into history, trains, and beach. Perhaps If I divided my time to Cornwall and
the Lake District, and take side trips to York (I want to experience that Bronze Age Village). I shall probably
have to redesign another trip the following year to focus North and feel the steel breeze of the North Atlantic
in my teeth. Wife still wants to see the changing of the guards.
Nessie rocks!

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:24 pm

Sounds like London is a must, then. Someone earlier pointed out that there's plenty to see down in the South East of England, from Railways to historical sights and plenty of beaches and walks. I've just come back from 5 days in the New Forest which is again in easy reach of London (just over an hour by trains) and has lots of walks and cycle ways. Stonehenge is also an easy day trip form London if you want to see some ancient stuff!. I can't comment on that village, though York itself will keep you occupied for a couple of days just on it's own, from the Castle Museum to the Railway museum.

I really think you need to step back and think carefully about what you want to do and see.

Go to this site, put in what you like and see what it suggests:

https://www.visitengland.com/

As others have said there's lots of other nice places in the UK but for a first trip I'd try to keep it local, staying in one place if possible.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”