Power controllers

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Michaelreedy71

Power controllers

Postby Michaelreedy71 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:00 pm

I have a combi gaugemaster how many lights can i run from this or can i get a seperate controller to power all the lights

Many thanks

Michael reed

Bigmet

Re: Power controllers

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:14 pm

On the question relating to the controller mentioned, as many as the power output of the controller can supply. For example if a controller has a 15W output, then any combination of bulbs drawing a combined total of 15W can be operated, if it is only used for lighting.

And of course you can use a controller solely to operate lights. If you are planning something quite ambitious then that's the way to go.

heda

Postby heda » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:31 pm

Are you using incandescent or led's, the led's use a lot less power.
Dave

Postby 4472 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:40 pm

I like to have manual control so lights can be operated independently, such as street, house, station etc. I use a 12v 1amp plug to power a circuit board with a set of switches. I get mine from Layouts4u, but others are available. So far I have 17 separate circuits!! All LEDs
Great grandson of Peter Benjamin Spicer (LNWR retired)

Michaelreedy71

Postby Michaelreedy71 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:08 pm

Thinking of getting some lights for my station platforn some lights for my tunnel and neex lughts for the farm house.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:34 am

It maybe an idea to have a seperate power supply for lights, but, why not try using batteries if the lights are only intended to be used on rare occasions? I have often looked at dolls house lighting as a possibility. They can be run by batteries or via a transformer. Just make sure any hot bulbs don't touch card buildings. Also, even LED's can heat up red hot if overloaded, though someones made a mistake if this happens! They won't last long if they are about to fizzle out! :D Is just good practice to make sure they don't directly touch card, though with bulbs it is important.

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”